Photo

The PLATE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Unfair track position. (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your local tech inspect the plates after qual?

1. Yes (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

2. No (16 votes [45.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

3. Yes, top "x" number of cars (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

4. Sometimes (13 votes [37.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Anyone ever wonder?

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Anyone ever wonder?

Heck. They don't even check them in race impound!

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
But really, why would you cheat this? A bowling trophy??? If I spend 150 bux to tune on a dyno WITH the plate, taking it out or changing it for the race just isn't very helpful. Also with the 94-97 cars, if you run the std mazdacomp exhaust like I do, the extra air in doesn't get out so well...... I'm just sayin.....

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Number:53
We (SSM at WDCR) had increased technical inspection held on an "Impound All" basis after qualifying during the 2010 season, which I was glad to see. Plates were amongst the things checked. Also checked were seals and mandatory plug wires.
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
In the SowDiv, the chief of tech wanted to put that on the list of things to tech after each National event and the Steward refused to allow him to do it. Nice, huh?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Tech at Sebring National, after the race:

Inspector: Is that your fuel sample port? (pointing at the fitting on the fuel line) Do you have the hose for it?

Driver:, Yes I will get it out of the glove box.

Inspector: You don't understand. Just answer the question. Do you have the hose for it?

Driver: Yes I do!

Inspector: Ok, you pass

And you expect these guys to be able to inspect something as technical as a flat piece of metal with a hole in the middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Tech at Sebring National, after the race:

Inspector: Is that your fuel sample port? (pointing at the fitting on the fuel line) Do you have the hose for it?

Driver:, Yes I will get it out of the glove box.

Inspector: You don't understand. Just answer the question. Do you have the hose for it?

Driver: Yes I do!

Inspector: Ok, you pass

And you expect these guys to be able to inspect something as technical as a flat piece of metal with a hole in the middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no I had SEVERAL at the SAME race that tried to measure the hole while holding the plate in the air!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Number:44
No real "tech" at ORSCCA besides weighing cars. Most races last year we were just waived back to the paddock. NWR region races are a different story. The tech shed is packed up before the races even start.

Two or so years ago, fuel was being checked, plates checked, cars looked over for "hidden goods" like engine braces, wheel spacer thickness, etc.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
az scca region has been very good with this
i have had my plate checked on my '99 at one regional ( of 2 attended)after the race, and at the national we just had a (post race)check.
nice work AZ region!!!
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Here, when we have the hood open, they point to it and say, "See that? It's a restrictor. That and the airbox is how you can tell it's a 1.8" Check

They also laugh at how much over weight my car is, and point to the steering rack without crimped lines and note that's how you can tell it's a manual rack. :blink:
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
Come on guys. We impounded all the SM after the first qualifying on Friday, all 56 cars. We released the 1.6's and pulled all the plates for the 1.8's. I had the master sheet and I measured every car. If a tech inspector held the plate up and looked at it, he was looking for the marking. I had the list and checked every single plate with the Enterprise tool. BTW, I was handed 2 cold plates. I have a note on who those cars were and they didn't make post race impound!

This impound came Friday after we had annual teched over 75 cars before the races started. The Chief of tech asked me 30 minutes before your first qualifying if I wanted to check plates. After he assured me we had enough tech folks ( on Friday ), I gave him the go ahead to ask for an impound all. We checked all the cars and had everyone finished within 30 minutes. It would have been quicker except a few had to go get tools.

And as far as after the races, we only impounded the top 3 cars. The top three we had in impound was Von Charbonneau, Stynn & Tucker on Saturday and Stynn, Chip, & Craig Berry on Sunday. So, I'm not sure what you wanted us to do in impound. All 6 of these cars are top running cars. You failed to mentioned that we pulled starters one day in impound to check flywheels.

Remember, the $10 compliance fee per car per race is not there anymore. Thus, SM really doesn't get any special treatment at a normal race. With 300 cars at Sebring and 29 classes going across the scales, there just wasn't much extra time to spare.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Come on guys. We impounded all the SM after the first qualifying on Friday, all 56 cars. We released the 1.6's and pulled all the plates for the 1.8's. I had the master sheet and I measured every car. If a tech inspector held the plate up and looked at it, he was looking for the marking. I had the list and checked every single plate with the Enterprise tool. BTW, I was handed 2 cold plates. I have a note on who those cars were and they didn't make post race impound!

This impound came Friday after we had annual teched over 75 cars before the races started. The Chief of tech asked me 30 minutes before your first qualifying if I wanted to check plates. After he assured me we had enough tech folks ( on Friday ), I gave him the go ahead to ask for an impound all. We checked all the cars and had everyone finished within 30 minutes. It would have been quicker except a few had to go get tools.

And as far as after the races, we only impounded the top 3 cars. The top three we had in impound was Von Charbonneau, Stynn & Tucker on Saturday and Stynn, Chip, & Craig Berry on Sunday. So, I'm not sure what you wanted us to do in impound. All 6 of these cars are top running cars. You failed to mentioned that we pulled starters one day in impound to check flywheels.

Remember, the $10 compliance fee per car per race is not there anymore. Thus, SM really doesn't get any special treatment at a normal race. With 300 cars at Sebring and 29 classes going across the scales, there just wasn't much extra time to spare.

NOT A COMPLAINT, Jim I personally pulled 5 of the Plates on Fridays qualify. At least one plate was measured via a set of calipers in the open holding the plate up to the daylight, the result was NOT reported as out of conformance or we would have had words! And YES starters on Sat were pulled THANK YOU!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users