23 replies to this topic

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33
Wow! What a great weekend at CMP for Ti-Speed Drivers Nash Lawson and Keith Andrews. Congrats to Nash Lawson for sweeping both CCPS races, and also to Keith for taking his first SARRC win! Both guys drove flawless races on the way to their victories! Congrats also to Bobby T for his Saturday win as well! Wish I could have been there beyond the test day to stir the pot a little, but had to bail out late Friday night when my wife became ill. She's recovering well and will be fine.

Great seeing all of our friends again from OPM, Panic, RE, along with all of the other usual suspects. Can't wait for the next event!

--Dan Tiley
www.TiSpeedEngineering.com
please "like" us on facebook!

Sam Barnett

Sam Barnett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Great to see everyone this weekend. Sorry I missed you Dan and glad your wife was ok.

I was only around to see the Saturday SARRC race but it was an amazing 4 car battle to watch. There were many lead changes throughout the entire race. In the end Bob Thornton with his Race Engineering power was able to fight through his understeer condition and pull off the win! Way to go Bobby T!

Congratulations to Nash for his double CCPS wins and Keith for his Sunday SARRC win!
  • Glenn likes this

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Thanks guys and Congratulations to The Icon (Bob T) and Nash for their wins. I'll try to put together a brief race recap and some video. Great weekend of racing!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
DARN! Sounds like I missed a great weekend! Word is that the King was UP ON THE WHEEL! on Saturday. Ill handling car and all!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I heard a rumor that Bob Thorton came out of retirement and won! Congrats Bob, glad to see you racing again
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

... that Bob Thorton cam...

"Paging Dr. Freud. Paging Dr. Freud. White courtesy phone, Dr. Freud." :king:

Way to go Bobby T!!!! (And congrats to Nash and Keith on their great performance!)

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:Nasa SE, SCCA SE
  • Car Number:23
I want to say congrats to Bob for the win on Saturday in the SARRC and fellow Ti-Speed driver Keith Andrews for the Sunday win. I was having such a good time leading you guys around Saturday and for some crazy reason in the next to the last lap I thought it would be a good time for some grass cutting. Thanks again to Skip Brock for leaving me some paint on the car in the horseshoe when we were dicing it up for the last step on the podium Saturday. It was also a great SARRC Sunday between Keith and me. We were able to jump out to a big lead from the pole and 3rd position and build a good lead working together before starting some good racing between the two of us. Eventually Keith grabbed a couple of seconds on me and after that he just had too much for me to catch up.

My biggest thanks goes out to the guy who started this thread Ti-Speeds very own Dan Tiley who unfortunately had to miss a great weekend. Thanks Dan for the motor that has made me look better than I have a right to look. I wish I could accurately tell you how many races I have on it now, but I really don’t know. Dan was nice enough to put it in early last year and I probably have 30 to 40 races on it and it still beats stronger every time I get in it. We have never even lifted the valve cover on it. The only problem with Dan and Alex is that there to damn fast when they do get to the track and race.

This was the type of weekend that helps put some bad memories from VIR in the back of your mind and makes you look forward to the next one. Thanks for all the clean racing from everyone this past weekend.
Nash Lawson

Ti-Speed Engineering Driver

2012 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM Champion
2011 NASA SE SM Regional Champion
2010 NASA SE SM Regional Champion

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
I can only echo what Nash said about this weekend.

Race weekend Recap.

Friday test day:
Great weather, sunny not to hot, the track is warm but reasonable grip. I think we had 4 or 5 sessions and most everyone took advantage of it. I did not win test day and yes Steve B. I do remember hearing someone say "Hey Pokey". He did come through with a victory frosted cookie on Sunday though.

Saturday:
The forecast is for some light rain ending around 0800. We are on track at 0800 for a 10 minute warm up. I think most just went out on slicks and the track wasn't to bad. Then it started to rain before qualifying. Off go the slicks and on go rain tires and rain setup. I try to qualify in the rain for the first time and am only 4 seconds off the leader (Nash). I end up 6th. The track starts drying out and the sun starts to come out. So I take the rains off and on go the slicks (SMHoosiers). All the variable conditions seem behind us and we can just go race.

Here is a clip from Saturday. The car setup was the best I have ever driven and CMP, thank you Ti-Speed. As the clip ends I get by Bob T and Nash is leading. What you don't see is Bob coming back around me and and we both go by Nash when he goes agro.

http://vimeo.com/39661671

Sunday:
I qualified 3rd and was able to get by Shea P2 early in the first lap. Nash and I battle for the majority of the race and I ended up being able to get by. Again a very clean race and my first SARRC win. Yes I'm 40 years older than Ernie Jr. but its great to feel like a kid racing Spec Miata's. Great people, Great racing, and I put the car in the trailer without a new scratch or dent. Last year at CMP I lost 3rd gear while leading the race. I'm glad to have gotten the one that got away back.
  • Alex Gaines likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Keith, great recap. Wish those last frames of video were the finish to the race.

Great Job this weekend.
Nash Lawson

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Car Number:48
Keith - you stopped the video before it got to the good part :pimp:

What a weekend! That's the WORST handling race car I have ever won a race with. Super tight turning right; a little loose turning left - we just got behind the 8-ball on set up because of ignition problems. We actually just got it fixed right before the 5 minute warning. And barely got the dry set up put back on it after qualifying.

It does feel good to win the first race out in a brand new car; its been awhile since I won although I havent been racing much over the last 5 years. Guess its a good way to start off our championship winning bid :rolleyes:

I enjoyed racing with some new faces and re-kindling some old rivalries.

I'd like to thank my engine builder... oops did I say that in my "out loud voice"? :D :D :D :D
No, seriously... A BIG THANK YOU to David and Jennifer Snider of Team 7 Motorsports; Steve and Becca Bertok and Jonathan Black of Panic Motorsports; Jason Owenby of JO Motorsports; Shea Hughs of Racing Analytics; Maxima Racing Oil; Robert Huffman; Sam Barnett (of Grand Am fame :-)) ; and my longtime sponsor Carbotech Brakes - Without your guys' help we'd have never gotten that thing fixed and made the race, much less won it. And lastly thank you to my lovely wife Katherine who is always delightful and supportive :wub:

And most importantly, thanks for the many years of support from all our loyal customers.
Thanks for choosing Race Engineering power!
  • Glenn likes this

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Bob, I am gonna have to question that worst handling car comment; I think we all had a hard time. CMP can make even the best guys question there set-up. But it was a lot of fun. We chased set-up all weekend and never really worked it out. We were lucky to have some great support and coaching. Looking forward to Roebling!
Nash Lawson

Alex Gaines

Alex Gaines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:South east
  • Car Number:77
I couldn't be more proud of Nash and Keith for their performances this weekend. These two guys are really committed to their racing program and are giving it 100%. It really shows. I'm honored to be helping them and look forward to many wins in the future.
I have to give some extra props to Nash on his rain driving skills. I think he's the new rain warrior. :)
www.tispeedengineering.com

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Car Number:48
Nash, you may be on to something........that Protege I won with while racing with the Mazda Speed guys in CA about 5 years ago may have been worse. loose lug nuts, all 4 wheels about came off,

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

Nash Lawson

Nash Lawson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I really do like the wet. If it ain't sliding it ain't fun. Mr. Steyn may be on to something.
Nash Lawson

N Bruni

N Bruni

MEATHEAD Racing Chief Complainer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:16
Congrats Bob on the win!! Not a bad way to come out of retirement. I am still laughing at your comment of "I'd like to thank my engine builder... oops did I say that in my "out loud voice"? :D :D :D :D Sounds like you were up on the wheel of the car to drive it to the front.

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

Mr. Steyn may be on something.

Fixed. :spin:
  • Danny Steyn likes this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Congrats on the win Bob!!!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Congrats Bob on the W, you old redneck!

It's great to have a motor builder that can also wheel a car, and might even have a few "old dog" tricks up his sleeve.
  • Glenn likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Fixed. :spin:

Whaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuup?
Posted Image

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Way to go BobbyT. Show those young boys that Old Guys Still Rule!
  • Glenn likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users