Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
The other thread on replacement axles got me thinking...

Is there any preventative maintenance for the rear axles (between diff and hubs not driveshaft between trans and diff)?

Is there any "race preparation" that should be performed on these? Like special grease, pixie dust and whatnot...

Any how-tos?

Also, what are the symptoms when the axles start to go bad?

The axles I'm using are from a 2000 with 60k miles so I'm curious what, if anything, I should consider as part of a maintenance or prep.

Thanks.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

The other thread on replacement axles got me thinking...

Is there any preventative maintenance for the rear axles (between diff and hubs not driveshaft between trans and diff)?

Is there any "race preparation" that should be performed on these? Like special grease, pixie dust and whatnot...

Any how-tos?

Also, what are the symptoms when the axles start to go bad?

The axles I'm using are from a 2000 with 60k miles so I'm curious what, if anything, I should consider as part of a maintenance or prep.

Thanks.

Short of a torn boot I can say I have NEVER seen a stub axle failure that was not crash related.........Just sayin.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Short of a torn boot I can say I have NEVER seen a stub axle failure that was not crash related.........Just sayin.

Pick me! Pick me! I had one fail under admittedly odd circumstances. I had a frozen rear caliper that managed to overheat the axel during an enduro. Caused the bearing cage to crack open. It was one of those cracks that cause you to keep the old part to show off to your friends. Those were not normal circumstances, but they weren't crash related.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Pick me! Pick me! I had one fail under admittedly odd circumstances. I had a frozen rear caliper that managed to overheat the axel during an enduro. Caused the bearing cage to crack open. It was one of those cracks that cause you to keep the old part to show off to your friends. Those were not normal circumstances, but they weren't crash related.

Yup theres one in every crowd :) LOL

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
There aren't any stub axles in the axles used on a Torsen (assuming I understand what a stub axle is...)

With all the talk about "freeing up the drivetrain", I started wondering what is under those rubber boots in the axles and whether anyone paid any attention to them in the formm of synthetic grease or other such tricks.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

There aren't any stub axles in the axles used on a Torsen (assuming I understand what a stub axle is...)

With all the talk about "freeing up the drivetrain", I started wondering what is under those rubber boots in the axles and whether anyone paid any attention to them in the formm of synthetic grease or other such tricks.

It is a frictionless system......how would you "trick" up a shaft except to lighten it which would be WAY out of bounds.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It is a frictionless system......how would you "trick" up a shaft except to lighten it which would be WAY out of bounds.

Cleaning out that 100k grease, cleaning the joints and putting in fresh synthetic goes a loooong way :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Adam Molaver

Adam Molaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

that right there is funny... the force vector changes via the CV joint == frictional losses. after session, put a hand on the boot. is it ambient? what about the diff? same basic idea - force comes in one direction and is 'redirected' to another. is that also 'frictionless'?

that said, i've never touched them. i've had to replace one when a boot was torn - damn grease goes EVERYWHERE - but never proactively 'serviced' them. guess it wouldn't be the worst way to kill a couple hours.. any tips / tricks on opening / resealing the boots jim?

ahm
  • Glenn likes this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Cleaning out that 100k grease, cleaning the joints and putting in fresh synthetic goes a loooong way :)

Consider me schooled....... :king:

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

guess it wouldn't be the worst way to kill a couple hours.. any tips / tricks on opening / resealing the boots jim?

ahm

They really are a messy thankless job :( No real easy or clean way to do it IMO
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Austin Robison

Austin Robison

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47
Alberto, if you want to bring your car to my shop over the weekend we could repack both of our sets of axles and make one consolidated mess.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:04
"Pick me! Pick me! I had one fail under admittedly odd circumstances. I had a frozen rear caliper that managed to overheat the axel during an enduro. Caused the bearing cage to crack open. It was one of those cracks that cause you to keep the old part to show off to your friends. Those were not normal circumstances, but they weren't crash related."

Who was driving when that little escaped happened you or me? Reminds me of the time I gave Hubbart the RX7 back at the ARRC Enduro and the brake pedal went to the floor on him coming into 10A at Road Atlanta... Just say'in.
Seneca Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

They really are a messy thankless job :( No real easy or clean way to do it IMO
Jim

So is it an over the counter tool that can replace the bands if you cut them?

I somehow managed to pull one apart in the process of a diff change. Not knowing i did(the boot held things together) I proceeded to bend the crap out of the keeper ring inside as I kept slamming it trying to get the axle back in the diff. When I figured out why the hub kept flopping out I cut the larger strap and peeled back the rubber as all the pieces fell out. After straightening the keeper ring as best I could(I really did a number on it)I put it back together...with a large pipe clamp holding the rubber boot on the side I cut. Still driving it like this :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
The fronts are wired on with 2 loops of wire that aren't really a heavy gauge wire. I'm no expert but I'm guessing the rears turn more or less the same speed as the fronts. Since it's really a grease condom, I'd feel pretty safe just lashing it on with a couple loops of wire before I changed out the axle with a new band strap because my condom slipped.

(edit) I had a facepalm earlier when I thought about this. I was thinking of my tie rod boots on the steering rack. If they spin you've got a serious problem. I'd use the proper straps now that I think of it.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Thanks gents. These things look kinda like CV joints from what I can tell. I found a few videos on YouTube with info on rebuilding. Maybe I'll take a stab at it in the winter. I really don't feel like pulling my car apart right now. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: axles, driveshafts, torsen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users