Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
So, those of us who are about to begin racing "up north" need answers! After all the conjecture over the winter, has an agreed tire pressure for the SM6's been found? I know some people said lower (34-36) and some said go with Hoosier recommendations...

Any insight?
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I am far from an expert on these tires, but I have run two race weekends on them so far this year. I have found that running hot pressures less than 38 causes a nasty groove about 1/3 of the way across. On Toyo's I need to start around 30psi to get 38 hot, on the Hoosiers I needed to start a bit higher, around 32 or so. I have not yet experimented with pressures higher than 40 so not sure about the high side, but I feel comfortable that lower than 38 is not good for me.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
Well my perspective (contrarary to Brian) is that when he is racing me, he should run lower than 38lbs, preferably much lower. On the other hand I am inclined to try running a little higher based on the advice of the Hoosier rep who was at the recent race. I will say that again, the Hoosier rep who was at the recent race. How strange to see someone from the tire manufacturer at the race track walking around giving skilled advice.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Obviously, you were mistaken....We all know tire manufacturers stay away from the race track! (Good to see Hoosier on board). Thanks for the input guys. Good luck this year!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Well my perspective (contrarary to Brian) is that when he is racing me, he should run lower than 38lbs, preferably much lower. On the other hand I am inclined to try running a little higher based on the advice of the Hoosier rep who was at the recent race. I will say that again, the Hoosier rep who was at the recent race. How strange to see someone from the tire manufacturer at the race track walking around giving skilled advice.

Cnj

Craig anything for you. :)
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Craig anything for you. :)

Brian, should we let Craig know we paid the Hoosier rep $20 to give Craig the "wrong" tire pressure info? :rotfl:

Toby Linder