5 replies to this topic

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I am building a 1991 donor into an SSM, and tonight I found this:

http://blog.richramb...om/main/?p=2047

Should I replace the rear calipers? I felt that the front calipers were in great shape so I hadn't planned to replace them but I am thinking these rears should go. Any input appreciated.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
My opinion, anytime I have a caliper leaking it gets fixed or replaced. Just not supposed to work that way and if the fluid get sot the pad you lost that brake. I had problems with my left front leaking after I had replaced it just a few months before with a NAPA replacement. when I replaced it the first time I did not swap out the bracket that holds the caliper on the front spindle. I also noticed that the pads did not wear even inside to outside.
When it leaked the second time I replaced that bracket which over time can warp and allow the caliper not to be square wit the rotor so lesson learned. Leaking! replace it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I would pull it apart and see what's wrong. If you can't do that, replace it.

I decided to overhaul the calipers that came with my car. The fronts were fine. Once I pulled the rears apart and inspected them, they became cores for a new set of rears. While there was not an obvious problem with their operation at the time, the pistons and bores did not look good at all. You've definately got one problem because they're not supposed to ooze brake fluid as far as I know. There could be other problems that would make you reconsider using them on a race car too.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I wouldn't race that core even with a rebuild. It doesn't matter how fast you go if you can't stop. ;) If you look around on the road car enthusiast sites you'll see there are some seizure issues with higher mileage calipers, particularly in the rear.

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks everyone - I think I'll order replacements tomorrow!

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Thanks everyone - I think I'll order replacements tomorrow!

Brakes are soooooooo over rated! ;)
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year