MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Off to the track for another fun weekend of SM racing. Yesterday's practice was hot and windy, more of the same expected today. 97 in the shade, track temp must have been 110+. It felt like walking in sand during the 4:00 pm session.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Have to stop typing on my I-phone, it auto corrected the title. Should read Lone Star Grand Prix.

Sat Qualifying,

Strong headwind down the front straight so everybody tried buddying up with some drafting partners. Phillips Race Prep managed to put together a nice little 4 car draft. McAllion, Ross, Haldeman and Bickham. Other groups worked in pairs or just used a competitor as a rabbit. The plan for PRP was to run a hot lap and have the lead guy peal off and slip back to the end of the line very much like a pelaton on cycling. It seemed to work well and that way the stewards could only furl a black flag at one of us at a time.

1. Reynolds 1:59.67
2. Udell 2:00.31
3. Bickham 2:00.34
4. McAllion 2:00.36
5. Haldeman 2:00.38
6. Ross 2:00.48
7. Agha 2:00.51

Reynolds went out solo from what I could tell and put down a great lap. He had Mr. Ed tune up the 74 and he is back in front, go figure. Nice drive.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Any 1.6's in that crowd?

I know, I know, those in the know, know.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Saturday Race Small field so there was not a ton of cars to bunch up and the leaders got on the gas pretty early. The high side had a hickup and the low side got several cars through by turn in to one. Reynolds, Haldeman, Udell, Bickham and Rushing lead into turn 3. Reynolds built a gap early and crusied most of the race. Haldeman was charging up with about 3 to go but missed a shift and gave back most of what he gained too late in the race to make a serious charge. Bickham and Udell had a good battle going for the final podium spot. Bickham missed his turn in at 14 and Udell gapped him with 1 to go. Rushing was running by himself about 2-3 seconds back of 3rd and 4th and I worked my way back from 11th to finish 6th about 2-3 seconds back of Rushing with the trail group another 2-3 secounds back of me. That group had some big time racing going on as they must have had 10 cars in that group. Maybe York of Agha or one of the others in that group could describe the racing. It looke chaotic, evertime i looked in my mirror I saw more cars.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Any 1.6's in that crowd? I know, I know, those in the know, know.

Udell 1.6
Rushing 1.6

Both some of the fastest 1.6s I have raced. The drivers are top notch also. Andy would admit he is not at the top of his game right now as he is busy with work and his new family. Udell has been racing Pirelli World Challenge and regularly wins the NASA races he attends at any track.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Sundays Qual

Timing and scoring didn't have a sheet showing times so we all went to lunch not knowing what the grid would be like. I wandered the paddock and tried to poll drivers about their lap times and from the info I could gather Reynolds was on the poll and with 1:59.7. Our little groups lap timers showed a wider spread than the day before. Ross 1:59.8, McAllion 2:00.0, Haldeman 2:00.2, Bickham 2:00.3.

While we were at lunch we get a grid sheet, it does not reflect our lap timers info.

1. Reynolds
2. McAllion
3. Haldeman
4. Ross
5. Rushing
6. Bickham
7. Agha
8. Collings

Still no times at this point, we just go to grid knowing what this cryptic sheet said. Frustrating.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
Not sure of the names or the players as I am new to the region...

I was flagging in T8 on Saturday and T1 on Sunday. Reynolds had a slightly different line entering 8 than most, tending to stay more center track on entry than driver's right like most cars. His braking point appeared to be 2-3 car lengths deeper than all except for the 72 car who mirrored his line. All in all Saturday was clean racing through our station. There were a couple 2 & 4 wheel offs and one car burried in the bushes, but he was able to extract himself. No metal to metal and some good give an take.

Sunday's race up front was pretty much identical to Saturday. The 74 & 72 cars checked out early. Race control did throw a furled black at the 72 car for bump drafting the 74 on L2 or L3. There were a couple other calls for bump drafting as well, but no one got parked. The second group of cars had a good race going, often entering T1 2 & 3 cars wide. Lots of give an take. Not sure where the silver 57 car came from, but he caught and passed the entire group of cars he was chasing. Some mad ponies under the hood of that car.
Seneca Motorsports

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Saturday Race Small field so there was not a ton of cars to bunch up and the leaders got on the gas pretty early. The high side had a hickup and the low side got several cars through by turn in to one. Reynolds, Haldeman, Udell, Bickham and Rushing lead into turn 3. Reynolds built a gap early and crusied most of the race. Haldeman was charging up with about 3 to go but missed a shift and gave back most of what he gained too late in the race to make a serious charge. Bickham and Udell had a good battle going for the final podium spot. Bickham missed his turn in at 14 and Udell gapped him with 1 to go. Rushing was running by himself about 2-3 seconds back of 3rd and 4th and I worked my way back from 11th to finish 6th about 2-3 seconds back of Rushing with the trail group another 2-3 secounds back of me. That group had some big time racing going on as they must have had 10 cars in that group. Maybe York of Agha or one of the others in that group could describe the racing. It looke chaotic, evertime i looked in my mirror I saw more cars.

Michael,

Chaotic describes it well. I held off the pack to finish whatever position it was (seeing how we had no results printed as timing and scoring seemed....absent?) I think everyone wanted to lead and pass attempts were made constantly at very difficult places slowing the group down signfiicantly. Good run by your group up front.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Not sure of the names or the players as I am new to the region...

......Sunday's race up front was pretty much identical to Saturday. The 74 & 72 cars checked out early. Race control did throw a furled black at the 72 car for bump drafting the 74 on L2 or L3. There were a couple other calls for bump drafting as well, but no one got parked. The second group of cars had a good race going, often entering T1 2 & 3 cars wide. Lots of give an take. Not sure where the silver 57 car came from, but he caught and passed the entire group of cars he was chasing. Some mad ponies under the hood of that car.

No. 57 is Rushing and he drives well when his car is set-up. In addition, I would expect his motor to be a very good package, but nothing of suspicion. The number 19 on the other hand...........

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA