Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
I've seen/heard about 'blueprinted' injectors (matching spray pattern & flow across all 4) or does saving a couple hundred worth the time of sending yours in?
Obvious considerations if any of my submitted injectors end up beyond repair/adjustment/cleaning.

Good source for these matched sets?

I'm doing this with the intent of having this side of the combustion process up to snuff before heading to the dyno post-FPR installation & exhaust.

TIA!
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I send mine to Miatacage.

Before

Inj # CC/Min Pattern
1 245 Good
2 232 Dripping
3 244 Good
4 239 Dripping

After
Inj # CC/Min Pattern
1 251 Excellent
2 249 Excellent
3 251 Excellent
4 250 Excellent

$100 I believe. They ones I've sent start looking like hell and come back clean with all new rubber bits and the numbers come out looking consistently about like what I posted.

(note: formatting in the typing screen looks better than the post.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Plenty of good places to get injectors cleaned. I don't remember reading about issues with Miata injector cleaning companies. I'd probably go regional.
Injector.com is in CT
RCEng.com is in CA
WitchHunter.com is in WA
Advanced-autosports.com in WI

Many of the RX7 guys, including myself, have used Witch Hunter. Their o-rings seem better / less prone to failure or fitment issues on the RX7. Haven't heard about any such issue with the Miata but I haven't researched it much.

Also, Advanced Autosports offers a great injector exchange program. Send in yours and get a set of cleaned injectors back. No waiting. And you know we all love Dave and all the great advice he gives on here!
http://www.advanced-...13c04b0985efdf2
  • Glenn likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
How often is it recommended to have them done. I did mine two years ago?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90
It can also save you time and frustration on the dyno chasing a lean condition. We had a customer blow one up, obviously lean. Sent the injectors out, imagine that, one bad one. Peace of mind is worth the $100 you'll spend getting them serviced.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Stewart Engines in Indy - great service.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11
who i use http://www.injectorrx.com/

William Keeling

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

It can also save you time and frustration on the dyno chasing a lean condition. We had a customer blow one up, obviously lean. Sent the injectors out, imagine that, one bad one. Peace of mind is worth the $100 you'll spend getting them serviced.

What Steve said! This is especially true if you are tweeking the A/F to the very limit.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Dave At Advanced Autosports is also doing them and is a site sponsor. I use him on my stuff. he typically has a set ready, so he will send the day you order in most cases and you sent yours back
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
Marren looks to be the winner here - close by (CT) and reasonable on pricing for the service overall.

Next question: buying another set of used injectors and sending in all 8? 2 junkyard sets and send in all 12?
At that point you're up to $300 worth of investment in parts/services so...I see on MSP they're $100+/injector.

What's been the outcome of new stock/factory items? Good/bad/indifferent? Other thoughts?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I have had my injector cleaning machine about a year. I have done a couple sets of Camero injectors and 1 set of Honda injectors. So I am not an expert by any means. But I have done about 600 Miata injectors.

Nothing is servicable on the inside. You can not adjust or disassemble them. The filter and seals are the only replacable parts.

The cleaning procedure is a 4 step process.
1- pretest the injector for impedence, flow rate and spray pattern under multiple speeds and conditions.
2- ultra sonic cleaning of the injectors in a heated ultra sonic bath while pulsing the injector at different speeds.
3- Back flush the injector with solvent in the reverse direction
4- retest using the same sequence as in step 1

I have seen injectors that would not even flow during the first step, clean up and have perfect spray patterns after cleaning.
If they don't look good after 1 cleaning, I reclean. If the still look bad, I toss them. I expect that there must be a rust pit someplace inside that causes the poor spray pattern.
Once cleaned, Miata injectors are very equal. Usually within 1-2 cc's on any test.

What surprised me is that clean injectors flow less fuel than dirty ones. I assume it has to do with deposits slowing the pintle from closing as well and as quickly.

If you have not cleaned your injectors, do them when time permits. Especially before a dyno tune. I expect that they only need a cleaning every few years.

I hope this helps
Dave
  • Alex Bolanos likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
Dave,
Interesting you noted the issue about dirty injectors flowing more than clean ones - I must have the worst-mileage NA1.8 in the nation as I ran out of fuel in a 45 minute (mixed-class) race with 1-1.5 laps remaining (babied it the entire way around - the checker flew BEHIND me for the leaders as I passed S/F so *WHEW*!). Put nearly 6 gallons into it (drained just under a gallon from the earlier 30 minute qualifier then added 5 gallons) and there was nothing/zilch/zippo left when I made it back to the paddock.

But, I'm on my 3rd season with this engine (with a 4th season of DEs) and I've never done a FI service so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dripping/using more fuel than 'normal'.
In fact, the plugs I took out from last season were dark brown (not light tan but not black/sooty from burned oil) which indicates a way, way, way too rich AFR and could quite possibly be the reason for my poor mileage. Hence the dyno questions earlier too. :)

So what's your take on sending in 8 total injectors with the idea/understanding there may be a few that aren't good/worth returning?
Good idea/bad idea?

You may be the recipient of a set from Jersey....
Thanks,
Brandon

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
I have only had 3 sets done -- but have never had one that did not clean up -- and a few flowed 0 to start

William Keeling

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
It can't hurt. But I have only had a handfull of injectors that would not clean up.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63
Or you can DIY following this. This is what I've done before my last dyno tune with the new AFPR installed. Pretty happy with the results:

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Keep a couple extra o-rings on hand. I've nicked them on a couple of occasions getting them in the fuel rail. Doesn't take much to cause them to leak. I also keep a couple of those plastic insulators handy that go between the fuel rail and the head. When you accidentally knock one out of place they always seem to fall somewhere nearly impossible to find.
  • James York likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
I use silicone on those fuel rail isolators to keep them in place after loosing a few, they are hard to find after knocking them off for sure.
  • Jeff Wasilko likes this
G. Corley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users