Andy Bettencourt

Andy Bettencourt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:09
As of June 1, the ITA weight of a 1994-1997 1.8L Miata is 2460lbs.

Change your stickers and get some lead or change your second class preference to STL.

That is all. :)

AB
- AB
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
Seriously? So we can do less engine/car mods and have to weigh 110lbs more?

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Ha ha. I was thinking about doing the Pro IT race at Lime Rock in a couple weeks. Not now.

Wasn't there a Pro IT race on 6/3 at New Jersey? All you FlatOut boys 'n girl were there. What was the weight there? Hmmm...
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

As of June 1, the ITA weight of a 1994-1997 1.8L Miata is 2460lbs.

Change your stickers and get some lead or change your second class preference to STL.

That is all. :)

AB

STL weight for the 1.8 went to 2491 ... Not sure if you can run @ SM weights with SM compliant car ?????

I just added 150# to my car ... Very disappointed that it's gone in this direction.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
Should've just made the 94-97s keep the restrictor on. This will be bad for ITA...less Miatas.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Unless there's still a rule that cars in full SM trim are legal to race in STL, that change will save me a lot of money in entries, gas, and tires. Not to mention I'll have time to sit around between sessions.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Why would they make it so that SM's can't double dip. I am not sure I can add that much wt to my car. Don't get it?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Unless there's still a rule that cars in full SM trim are legal to race in STL, that change will save me a lot of money in entries, gas, and tires. Not to mention I'll have time to sit around between sessions.

Exactly, but I don't think that rule is present for ITA. It would then mean running the restrictor, as well.

If you add 100# to the right side of the car, you'd probably also need to adjust ride height a little. Seems way too complicated when you might have 20 minutes between regional sessions.
  • FTodaro likes this
Domm Leuci

Andy Bettencourt

Andy Bettencourt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
You have to look outside the SM box here guys. The ITAC/CRB decided the ITA 1.8 Miata needed weight. It's now 2460. They don't make decisions based on who can double dip, you do it for what's best your class.

It is a shame that there won't be much double dipping but it is what it is. STU is still open.
- AB

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
LOL, AB you know how much IT guys LOVE miata's!!!
  • Glenn likes this

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike L

Mike L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:65
  • Car Number:27

Ha ha. I was thinking about doing the Pro IT race at Lime Rock in a couple weeks. Not now.

Wasn't there a Pro IT race on 6/3 at New Jersey? All you FlatOut boys 'n girl were there. What was the weight there? Hmmm...

Domm, you can still run ProIT at Lime Rock, there is an SM class. The eligible classes for ProIT races are:
ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, SM
Mike Lo

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
They should be making cross over easier not harder, its called loss of revenue. I do not know enough about the STU class but why would they have to have more wt. is it a parity issue with a Non Miata car?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Domm, you can still run ProIT at Lime Rock, there is an SM class. The eligible classes for ProIT races are:
ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, SM

Oh....

I was just looking for an excuse to get out of there earlier and not spend the cash. Maybe.

But in general, it's probably good for the IT race group to allow SM's per the SM rules. They should still be slower than a true ITA Miata at 2460#.
Domm Leuci

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
San Francisco region has addressed the issue too much money in entry fees to lose.

This is from SF Region Supplemental regulations

SMT/SSM in ITA: 1990-1997 SMT or SSM class-compliant cars may enter ITA. SMT or SSM cars entering as ITA cars must comply with all SMT/SSM Class rules except for tires, which must comply with GCR Section 9.3.45 (Tires). All other ITA entries must comply fully with ITA class rules per GCR Section 9.1.3.

I assume there are other regions with similar rules.

Dennis
  • Kim H likes this

Andy Bettencourt

Andy Bettencourt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

They should be making cross over easier not harder, its called loss of revenue. I do not know enough about the STU class but why would they have to have more wt. is it a parity issue with a Non Miata car?

The SCCA/CRB/ITAC is not concerned with cross overs. They are concerned with class parity within their classes. That is - and should be - their primary concern. Crossovers can be considered after the IT class is thought of first. Think of it backwards...would you want the SMAC holding back parity in SM so that they could cross over into other classes? No way.

This needs to be address locally if your Region really wants to grab the dollars. The SF supps are old I bet. Now that the ITA car weighs so much more, the gap in performance has shrunk significantly.
- AB

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
Don't think that will slow Brian down very much.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
One thing most here are missing.. Most IT guys HATE double dipping SM cars, this won't hurt their feelings at all. They have their own class and want to race more like cars, not SM 's. Hard for us to imagine, but outside SM, many think SM has way too much involvement in the club and other classes etc. Any SM car in full SM trim can run in STL, so that is your best bet for double dipping. The Sm double dipping cost STL a recognized SCCA National Champion this year. :(
I have heard several times "We don't know how many of those entries were real STL entries" Seems if a car meets the rules, pays the entries and runs the race, it would be a real entry, but what do I know.

So STL will be permitted to run the Runoffs, but SCCA will not recognize the winner as a National Champion until 2013. If you disagree with this, write your area director a letter.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

One thing most here are missing.. Most IT guys HATE double dipping SM cars, this won't hurt their feelings at all.

Ha, they probably hate losing to double dipping inferior SM cars. Since when is an IT car like any other? Don't they allow all kinds in that class? IT guys that complain need to start sucking less.

As far as SM running too many other classes, I imagine business has never been SCCA's strong suit. ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I think that is part of it, but I also think they want everyone to conform to the rules of the class. Torsen swaps and depowered racks etc are not legal in IT. Many IT drives feel that SM runs the club etc. To that I think SM should have a much larger voice than it has. If SM and it's entrants went away tomorrow, so would club racing.
  • FastM3 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

I think that is part of it, but I also think they want everyone to conform to the rules of the class. Torsen swaps and depowered racks etc are not legal in IT. Many IT drives feel that SM runs the club etc. To that I think SM should have a much larger voice than it has. If SM and it's entrants went away tomorrow, so would club racing.

Details details. If they can throw the car away and then go show up with a whole different car with different gear ratios, horsepower, weight, steering ratio and limited slip tech, they have no sympathy from me on a depowered rack in a slower car.

Hell, in my region you'd want really different horses for courses in ITA. (preaching to the choir, I know...)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users