Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Bspec or SM, good place to start is here...

The names are a bit out of touch with low HP/momentum racing but the basics are solid.

http://safeisfast.com
  • dstevens and JRHille like this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Thanks for the link Jim. Lots of interesting info in the vids I watched so far, but one thing really sticks out as a WTH moment. The trainer keeps repeating that if you lift weights too much you'll sacrifice flexibility. Huh? I thought we'd heard the end of that myth back in the 80's (or so). Not to mention flexibility isn't exactly needed to drive a race car. (in comparison to playing most field sports etc.) Contorting to get in and out of our chick cars is another matter. ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
Have you ever done Yoga?

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Have you ever done Yoga?

Yeah. I started doing yoga (anusura) after taking up rock climbing. Figured it'd be too foo-foo for me, but actually enjoy the physical side of it and it helps with the climbing.

I was mostly joking about the getting in/out to say that is about the only part of racing that requires any sort of flexibility.

While I'm posting, the other weird thing he said was that Gatorade could "sour" your stomach. I've never heard of that before and have never had an issue. Granted I don't gulp down gallons of it. A small bottle or two (depends on temps) in the morning and then switching to water works for me. Never had to dilute it.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I trained with Jim and the Pit Fit crew for the last year I ran karts nationally. He pretty much pioneered the concept in the US.

As for flexibility, absolutely essential for any race driver. It helps to reduce fatigue and increases aerobic tolerance during the run. He's not talking about flexibility in the way a gymnast or one of our artists at work might have (we swing 90lb French chicks around for a living), he's talking about being able to ebb and flow as the race goes on. As fatigue sets in, your muscles will tense. Having more flexibly will compensate for that. You don't want to bulk up. Bulking adds weight and 5-10 lbs might be enough to make that difference.

As the the powerlifting and and flexibility comment, he was talking about a specific event that way above what most do. For number of years my wife was a competitive power lifter. What I think Jim may be trying to say is that concentrating on specific tasks for your body can reduce the effectiveness of other part with his primary point being that you have to consider the sport and tailor the workout to that. I think you're taking the statement out of context.

When you drink a lot of sport drink, or any sugary drink, as your blood sugar goes up there is the potential for a reaction in your stomach to generate a sour feeling. When I was training with Pit Fit my doctor was adamant that I drink no sports drink. He claimed with proper hydration as well as a proper diet I wouldn't need it for the duration of my events. What I did and do now is mix powdered Gatorade in lower concentrations. Gatorade is packed with sugar, though they do have a low cal version. One might need the electrolytes but the carbs the sugar produces might not be in balance with what your body needs.

In my latest blog post, since I'm down for a whileI mention I'm going to talk about my personal experience training specifically for racing. Which during peak is about 12 hours a week. Mostly cardio, lots of swimming and pool run/walk/water aerobics, some strength conditioning and exercises specific to mimic driving a car. We'll talk about the importance of heart rate zones in training and show some actual data. And also a bit on what I'm doing for nutirtion that has helped me lose around 60 lbs since Jan. I've been doing this off and on for the last four years or so but the first two years and this year have been the most intense. I slacked for about a year and a half and shot up to over 300. I'm back down to 250 or so with about 20 more to go. I'm not what you'd call a small man, even at my most fit.

In the meantime, I've posted a screen shot of my training calendar one month prior to the 2008 Superkarts Super Nationals. And you can see my a bit desktop shot of the run up to Eau Rouge. Warning, it's a big pic. To see the full calendar scroll all the way to the right.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

As for flexibility, absolutely essential for any race driver.

Tires are essential. Gas in the tank is essential. Flexibility, not so much. It'd put it near the bottom of my list bellow heat tolerance, ability to maintain concentration and make quick/good decisions for long periods of time, aerobic conditioning, strength conditioning, hand/eye coordentation, etc. Especially not hip flexibility that he mentioned when you're strapped in via a 6-point harness. I could understand working on flexibility when you are in a car pulling 3+ G's. If it were "essential", then you'd not see all the fat old men wobbling around the paddock who do just fine racing.

Note to mention it is in general a non-issue. How many racers do you know espousing that they need to work out like an olympic power lifter to race a car?

Don't get me wrong, I think he had good things to say, and I liked the car-specific training he showed. The way to get ahead in about any sport is via specificity.

When you drink a lot of sport drink, or any sugary drink

I watched that segment again and he mentioned 15 bottles. Missed that the first time. Well no kidding. I'd be more worried about diabetes than a sour stomach if that is your normal routine. 15 bottles of about anything does Bad Thingsâ„¢ to you.

NASA Utah SM Director

xczach

xczach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
Regarding the flexibility thing, you have to keep in mind that the website we're talking about here is designed for 15 year olds with a legitimate chance at a pro career, specifically in open wheel. While physical fitness is not a factor for a 30 minute sprint race in slower cars, it is huge in 2+ hour races in VERY fast cars producing 2-3+gs easily in corners and braking.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Tried a new practice technique today on my morning commute. Turned the stereo up so loud that I couldn't hear the engine, tires or any aural feedback. Then I drove as fast as I dared into turns, relying only on feedback coming through the well padded seat.

Developing the potentiometer in my pants.
  • dstevens likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Developing the potentiometer in my pants.

That is an open ended sentence.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

While physical fitness is not a factor for a 30 minute sprint race in slower cars, it is huge in 2+ hour races in VERY fast cars producing 2-3+gs easily in corners and braking.

Physical fitness still plays a part in our chick cars and sprint races. Especially when you are going on the 3rd day straight in 100+ degree heat. I just think he could have picked a much better example (e.g., say showing the importance of flexibility and strength in your neck, then show the F1 vid of the passenger getting tossed around like a rag doll.) than saying you need hip flexibility which will be harmed if you're an Olympic power lifter. Could have just been poor editing as well.

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

I could understand working on flexibility when you are in a car pulling 3+ G's. If it were "essential", then you'd not see all the fat old men wobbling around the paddock who do just fine racing.

What's this about fat old men wobbling around the paddock?

Posted Image
fat guy in paddock by Dave Stevens, on Flickr

That was me about a year before I started working with Pit Fit. FWIW, session data from that day has my fastest turns at about 2 Gs. For me fitness is the difference between me finishing just hanging onto the wheel, or getting out of the vehicle feeling fine and non taxed physically.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

For me fitness

Fitness != flexibility. You can be really fit, but not very flexible. I've raced where I could hardly walk because I was injured from other sports. Didn't affect lap times nor finishing positions. Getting in and out of the car was another matter as well as changing wheels. When you show me scientific studies that show that (hip) flexibility is "essential" to racing and that (excessively) lifting weights is detrimental, I'll start worrying about it.

Until then, I still posit it is a solution looking for a problem.

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
You're taking Jim's video and taking the comments out of context. Every pro trainer in any sport equates flexibility with fitness. For example, at the day gig we have a full sports medicine department, as do all out shows, with trainers, coaches and even some EMTs just in case. The 87 artists are from varying backgrounds, mostly Olympic hopefuls and participants at one time. Believe what you want and I'm not here to try to convince you otherwise, but flexibility does equal fitness. You aren't understanding fully the concept of aerobic muscle fitness. Flexibility is a key part of reducing muscle fatigue. Don't wok out if you don't want to and don't believe Jim if you don't want. But to state flexibility doesn't equal fitness is simply not correct. One needs a certain amount of flexibility, the amount is dependent on what sport or what the goal of the training regime might be.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

But to state flexibility doesn't equal fitness is simply not correct.

So if I do a forward bend and have my palms flat on the ground I'm good to go for the Wasatch 100? Glad you cleared that up for me. Saved me a ton of training. Sarcasm aside, what I hope you are trying to say is that most people who are fit are also flexible. Bust just because B implies A, A doesn't necessarily imply B. There are several climbers in my yoga class who could embarrass a pretzel, but huff-n-puff when we do the approaches to the climbs. Just because you are flexible doesn't mean you are aerobically fit (or anaerobic for that matter.)

One needs a certain amount of flexibility

And what I said, that you cannot seem to grasp and keep going off on tangents, is that the level of flexibility needed to race our cars is much less than your typical field sport and virtually no amount of weight lifting that you or I will do is going to reduce our flexibility. Odds are it'll enhance it. Thus I still find his comments strange and out of place for the intended video's purpose. (Even when you consider it is targeted towards phenoms in open wheel cars.)

NASA Utah SM Director

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
So Moose is really John Cleese?
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
to know Moose is to Know Beauty and the Beast...

K. Webb