Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
I did this to my wheels and it turned out great!! I'm now going to paint my 930 track car this way as well. I was going to wrap it but for $300 you can't go wrong and that includes the sprayer!!
Everyone is always looking for a cheap paint job on here so thought I'd share
http://www.dipyourca.../61?shop_param=
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
That is very cool. Definitely interested in exploring applications. May try and do a set of wheels. I wonder how much weight is added.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
William , I did my wheels on my 930 they came out great,, and at $6 a can from Home Depot Racing you can't go wrong

Attached Files

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63
Waow. That is just sick! I didn't know it even existed. Basically a wrap you spray on. I'll be curious to hear how those wheels hold to heat and brake dust.
Thanks for sharing!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
Cool! Not cheap but a spray wrap is a good thing.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Cool! Not cheap but a spray wrap is a good thing.

Actually that $297 price (or whatever it is) included the sprayer,, so really more like $200 per car.. a wrap will cost you 3-400 not including labor.

miata4me

miata4me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car Number:91

Has anyone used this dip on an entire car?  I'm curious how it looked as well as how durable it is.

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Has anyone used this dip on an entire car?  I'm curious how it looked as well as how durable it is.

I think a guy named Ron Roderick that drives NASA MA Spec Miata dipped his car.  Don't know if he is a member here.

Stringer

Stringer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:55

I did.  It is a very easy process.  I would recommend buying the sprayer like I did.  Single color you can do easily in a few hours.  It dries pretty quick and you want to layer thin coats because if you spray it too thick it will shrink a little.  Vinyl sticks to it pretty good if you lay is smooth.  If you mess up a section you can just peel it off and do it again. 

Not counting the sprayer I have about $80 invested with all the vinyl.  I also did my truck which has been outside all winter and it held up fine.

1380909_10201679045790928_1964958905_n.j

• GROOTS likes this

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Another cheap alternative: I thinned down Rustoleum and rolled it on. Probably cheaper than dipping but a LOT of work. I mean a lot - Stringer was much smarter with his approach! In the end it was worth it though; now repairs are very easy because the whole car is a single stage paint. I learned after the job was done to wait for the paint to harden before buffing to get some shine, but with that learning under my belt I am delighted with the outcome. Full story / photos here:

http://blog.richramb...50_dollar_paint

For factory clearcoat / basecoat repairs I have gone to a single stage paint as well, also rolled on. It works great if the rest of the paint hasn't faded too much; Mazda Mariner Blue turns out to be strangely fade resistant so it worked great for me. I created a blog category for this too for readers. The summary is that I spent $30 for quart of Limco 1 (BASF) and rolled it on. Outcome: very good color match but lots of texture from the roller. A buff a couple of weeks later removed a good deal of the texture (I will buff more later when it hardens further) and as you'll see in the photo, the repairs can barely be seen. They sure as heck meet SCCA's "neat 'n clean"!

http://blog.richramb...tage_auto_paint

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Todd, why not paint the SM.  That way i can see how it looks :)

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jswitzer360

jswitzer360

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:atlanta-southeast
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:?
I'm most likely gonna be doing this to my 1990 I'll post pix when I'm done... A friend of mine turned me onto the stuff.. Look up dipyourcar on YouTube there's some pretty cool videos on all the different ways to paint a car with this stuff....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users