7 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Am about to hopefully fire up an engine that has been sitting since 2004. Any suggestions as to a proceedure to follow as a precaution. I just don't want to crank it over and fire it up as it sits. Thanks

Bill

• RacerX likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:48
Make sure all rotating parts are free. WD-40 in each spark plug hole. Count to 5 while holding the can open for each cylinder. Give it an hour or so and see if your are able to turn by hand. Check valve train and preoil. If all is good new plugs,oil,fuel. Injectors are good ? Start it.

Good Luck !

Jeff

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Paramount Tool & Equiptment http://www.ptetool.com/

Hatzel & Buehler Electrical Construction - IBEW

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Am about to hopefully fire up an engine that has been sitting since 2004. Any suggestions as to a proceedure to follow as a precaution. I just don't want to crank it over and fire it up as it sits. Thanks

Bill

You might put about 1/2 qt of fresh oil in it just before you start it, event is its a little over full as the lifters and the cams are likely dry. that way some fresh oil is floating on the top of the head. You may have some issues with stale gas as well. May need to drain the take, put in some fresh gas with injector cleaner it it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I always pull the coil wire, or disconnect the plugs and crank it over for 15 seconds or so. This will pump some oil through the system without starting. The other ideas seem to be good, as well.
wheel

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

I always pull the coil wire, or disconnect the plugs and crank it over for 15 seconds or so. This will pump some oil through the system without starting. The other ideas seem to be good, as well.
wheel

this is what i do with my formula ford motor that sits for periods of time between races.
the motor builder recommends this proceedure.
build up oil pressure first looking at the gauge while turning the motor over w/o the plugs in it.

repeat this a few times to see the oil pressure built up in the motor; then run it.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Excellent. Thanks guys. I had heard about adding a bit of ATF to each cylinder and then cranking by hand, but like the idea of pulling the plugs and turning it over 15 seconds or so. Much appreciated.

Bill

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA
i would still lube the cylinders before tuning over. those cylinders are dry and will be one of the last parts to get oil by just cranking the engine. you're putting new plugs in any way right? atf works fine for the cylinder prelube. only need an ounce or two in each. let sit for a bit before cranking.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

iambhooper

iambhooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:over here
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:666

i would still lube the cylinders before tuning over. those cylinders are dry and will be one of the last parts to get oil by just cranking the engine. you're putting new plugs in any way right? atf works fine for the cylinder prelube. only need an ounce or two in each. let sit for a bit before cranking.

this.

i have started motor's that sat for 5-6 years, alway's pull the plug's and lube it w something. squirt some oil in the plug hole's, let is sit. put some stabil, or fresh gas in the tank, check the coolant, then fire it up.

hoop
hoop
a bunch of old '90's cars
and an '06 RSX Type S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users