Photo

What did you do before TraqData to collect non-tach?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Sorry for the newb question, but I'm just getting my head around DAQ. I know that Traqtach will pickup the tach signal. Prior to the introduction of traqdata, what did you guys do to pick up other data? Or was TM limited to tach until the traqdata module was introduced?

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
All the data systems have a way to pick up tach data. On the Miata, it's usually done by connecting to the tach wire on the instrument cluster (also available at the diagnostic connector). It can also be done using a capacitive pickup from one of the spark plug wires. Other data is picked up from various sensors that are added for specific purposes. For the most part the sensors are the same regardless of the DAQ vendor, although the connections may vary.

It sounds like you may really be asking a slightly different question, but I haven't tumbled to it yet. If you're asking about Traqtach's specific needs, someone else can probably help.

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
Can you explain what non-tach data you are looking for? The tach hook-up is nice, but Traqmate does collect other valuable data without the need for the tach attachment or other inputs.

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
I found the answer. I should have asked, what did we do before the Traqdata HD module came out, you know the $250-400 contraption depending on how it is configured? The answer is that there was a more primative version of Traqdata that allowed the integration of those other inputs (and looks a little like the Traqtach module). Evidently, it hasn't been sold in a couple of years. So, I think what I need is to track one of those bad boys down from someone who has upgraded.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
Yo Sphinx, I think you need to get the damn car on the track!

:wave2:
Seneca Motorsports

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Yo Sphinx, I think you need to get the damn car on the track!

:wave2:

I need a drafting partner! :) I'm trying, believe me.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Before traqdata, etc. we used SOP. Seat of pants.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Actually, we used AiM, and before that (and SM) many others. Data acquisition is hardly new.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Jim,
You notice I said etc., which includes AiM. Data has been around for a long time, but I've been around longer. A lot longer.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04
Charlotte next month? You can get squeezed between me and Chubbart. John should be there too. We'll be staying at the farm so you can crash there too.
Seneca Motorsports

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Regarding TM's "RPM input" block - they still make/sell them. I've got one (instead of the $250+ jobber) and am happy with it though it may be an older revision (installing my own wire instead of using a pre-installed/protected one) so it's a little more finicky I guess you could say.

As far as what was done before - couldn't tell ya for SM but I do know of mechanisms of DAQ that were available in heyday of PDA's using a GPS add-in card and a Palm Pilot though those were more likely found on autocross courses than road.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

As far as what was done before - couldn't tell ya for SM but I do know of mechanisms of DAQ that were available in heyday of PDA's using a GPS add-in card and a Palm Pilot though those were more likely found on autocross courses than road.

GEEZ! was the shiznat back in the day for autox (This was from 2000 IIRC):

Posted Image

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users