Photo

Charlotte SARRC/MARRS Contact and Protest.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97

you are right mike collins so may i ask why you did not protest danny styn when he punnted you hummmmmmm dodble standard just saying can you show that vidio

still love you sheetz

Because Mike should not have been there in the first place! You do remember he was the only car in his class right
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
I guess that's avoidable contact. You could also avoid contact by not racing, and living in a bubble. I think the outside car could have avoided that just as well. It looks like Steve stayed all the way to the inside. While the "preferred line" for the outside car might be to cut down to the apex, Steve's car was well alongside. I assume the outside car just didn't see him or expect him there. I think on the start you have to expect that cars are going to be in places other than the typical racing line. That's my limited-experience opinion.

I'm not sure how he got such a great start, though. Massive power? At first I thought it was because he was hanging back (grrr!), but he cought up before the start. Great start.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90

I guess that's avoidable contact. You could also avoid contact by not racing, and living in a bubble. I think the outside car could have avoided that just as well. It looks like Steve stayed all the way to the inside. While the "preferred line" for the outside car might be to cut down to the apex, Steve's car was well alongside. I assume the outside car just didn't see him or expect him there. I think on the start you have to expect that cars are going to be in places other than the typical racing line. That's my limited-experience opinion. I'm not sure how he got such a great start, though. Massive power? At first I thought it was because he was hanging back (grrr!), but he cought up before the start. Great start.

I've been pretty sharp on my starts this year, actually saw the green and was on the hammer before my radio guy called it to me. The power band on the 01's is a bit different, that start was a bit fast and I was in my sweet spot. I can't stand that laying back stuff either. Don't miss a shift in front of me, I'll bonk ya for sure. Wait, that's probably avoidable too....... ;) Other videos show I did touch the grass, though I really didn't intend to (it's about 6" deep/high, not meant for driving across!) and that contributed to the locked wheels seen in pictures floating around.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
Steve, I don't condone the "rubbin is racin" mentality, but I think your start there was good and clean...even if you kissed the grass and had a little wheel lock. On a start, you can't claim "racing line" and just shoot to the apex or expect to track out without someone there. Compromise is needed...and I think they call that "give 'n take" in NASCAR.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
What you don't see in Steve's video is that the car Steve had contact with was already three wide. The contact shoved the 75 into the 70 and both cars off the track. For Steve to get where he was he had to go through the grass to get there and then locked up the wheels sliding in to the 75.

It was close to great. The unfortunate part of the incident is that it was a combined SARRC/MARRS race and the P1 and P2 cars were both MARRS cars and in a points battle for the year end podium in MARRS.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Don't come to the se with those types of protest. They will have to extend into Monday before they all get resolved. :rant:

In Great lakes, I have not seen much paper written either for cotact, and our officials don't like to do paperwork either. I will say that we are pretty good about going over to someone in the paddock and talking it out. Personally i think its just as effective, you either get people on the right path or you label them an Ash hole and know what your dealing with on track.

Generally when you are in the front 2 or 3 rows you come to expect some a certain level of mutual respect.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Ok I'll post my video when I get a chance. I was the car starting P3.

Dr. Doom - just so we all can understand your point, you are ok with the the guy starting P5 taking out P1and P2. They shouldn't have gotten in his way, right?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
I must be missing something as ??? 1. What ever grass he hit was nothing... 2. The crash occurs before either car is fully into the turn---The 75 car appears to have lots of on track room to go wider? 3. The speed of Steve's car appears that he was going to have a hard time staying on track if he didnt have the impact----but it happened before that happened so we cant tell.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
There was no room on the outside of the 75. The 70 car there and there was a car trying to be on the outside of the 70.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Ok I'll post my video when I get a chance. I was the car starting P3.

Dr. Doom - just so we all can understand your point, you are ok with the the guy starting P5 taking out P1and P2. They shouldn't have gotten in his way, right?

Keith, please re check my name. I'm assuming that was a typo.

I'm ok with a guy starting 5th and passing P1 if it's clean. By his video, it looks clean. By his video, it looks like P1 turns into him. Let's see your's, because it's very possible that his video is misleading. Though I would say that he should be judged by how things look from his perspective. In other words, he shouldn't be penalized if from his perspective this looked reasonable. And if it was 3 wide, he probably couldn't see that...I couldn't from his video.

Obviously, I'm not ok with anyone taking anyone else out. Duh. My point is that on the start, you can't claim the corner is yours just because you have the preferred line. This belief is part of what leads to a lot of the unnecessary contact at the beginning of races. When you're on the outside, you have to assume someone may try to fill that hole and adjust your line accordingly.

Anyway, I think this can be a good discussion and hope it doesn't turn into some personal pissing match.
Domm Leuci

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Need another camera, but it looks like 75 at fault from what I can see. SCCA rules right? Camera car needs to be afforded racing room and I never got to see if he had a shot at a graceful corner. Didn't appear to be 3 wide when it mattered, nor did the camera car appear to be in grass while braking.

Could certainly be mistaken. Need another angle.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

It was close to great. The unfortunate part of the incident is that it was a combined SARRC/MARRS race and the P1 and P2 cars were both MARRS cars and in a points battle for the year end podium in MARRS.

"Completely stupid" should get you penalized, not "close to great".

Personally, I don't think it's fair to ask people who spend money to travel and race to stay out of others way just because they are racing for a championship. This incident was clearly not intentional. It's seriously too bad that anyone got taken out of this race. I just don't think it's fair to put that much blame on Steve. BTW, never met Steve or any of you. I'm not taking sides.
Domm Leuci

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
I was 30 feet away from the incident, Steve's car would NEVER have made the corner as the LF wheel was locked up. The reason he made the turn is because he used the 75 car as his brakes.
  • David L and Keith Andrews like this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
Steve's video does not give the incident justice. Not a single witness statement (over 12 of them) or video gave any interpretation that anyone but Steve was at fault.

Let me make this clear. Steve drove 2 wheels through the grass to get what appears to be the "inside" line into turn one. He locked the wheels up in the grass and slid onto the track. By using the 75 car, who had no reason to believe a car behind him on the start would be improving his position in the grass he was able to peen off the 75 and continue. If the 75 and 70 were not on the track Steve would have run long or put it in the wall on the far side.

Steve hit the 75 with enough force to shove it and the 70 off the far side of the track.

Had it been dry, or had he made it stick with no contact it would have been great. But the grass was wet, he did take two cars out, and it was a pretty low percentage move even on a good day. Steve did the right thing and made peace. I did the right thing and made sure the officials did their jobs.

Steve and I are fine with the outcome and continue to try to help others learn from this.

Wait for Keith to post his video.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Also, credit to the pole car for not cheating the start like so many in my region.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Mike, what second(s) of the video is he in the grass? I can't tell.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
I'd have to look at it again... Glenn and I were standing 25 feet from the incident when it happened. We both knew turn one was going to be "special" ;)

You would have to know the track a little to understand how the road/grass is. The track did come back to him, but he was in no shape to slow down or negotiate the corner.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

brian price

brian price

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:9094
  • Car Number:5170
I was in the #70 car on the outside. I gave plenty of room to my left knowing someting like this mite happen. But what is hard to interpret in this video is the angle steve was going into this corner. As Glen pointed out, He would of had to make a hard lt turn to make it. That being said if it wer on a lap trying to out brake a car into T1, it is a good move. But as it turns out on the start with 3-4 or 5 wide, it didn't work.
Steve appoligised and gave me the parts to fix my car for the afternoon race 2 qualifying. I applaud him for that and have no problems with him. He made a mistake & we all make those from time to time Sometimes you just take yourself out, sometimes it involves other cars. I do not think he meant for any of this to happen......
By the way ,what a great track and the racing besides this incident was awesome. Even with the damage I was able to come through the field for a 6th overall finish from dead last..... with 1.5 inches of toe out in the LR wheel....
Sundays race was a blast with Myself S. Landy , & Lee York. it was a great battle all race long. I was able to pull out victory by a couple of thousants of a sec....

I want to thank Bret With RP PERFORMACE, Rich & Billy @ PERFORMANCE AUTOWORKS for the strong motor. TJ for all the help setting up and fixing the carnage....

Great weekend of racing, can't wait to go back next year......
  • Glenn likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
It's great to hear people excited about racing at CMS. No events were held there for several years due to lack of interest.
I love rovals. Hope to be there next year.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
I agree with Glenn, the car was never going to make the turn going in as hot and as tight to the corner as he was. At least this is what the camera appeared to show.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users