Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
I have a 99 Miata. During a one hour enduro the car bogged down and died on last lap, wipers began going haywire and a squeal could be heard from right rear. Brand new battery swelled up, dumped acid all over trunk. Changed alternator on suggestion it was the alternator regulator, along with battery. Car would still not start. Replaced ECU. Car started. still had some electrical issues going on - wipers and radiator fan would not shut off. Changed switches and wipers would shut off, but not go on high, travel off (running past windshield). Changed relay for fan, still would not shut off. Ran car a while and new battery started dumping acid and swelling as well. Dash is not working either(other than fuel gauge), but getting RPM signal from dash to data. Need suggestions on what else this might be. All replaced parts were out of properly running 99. Thanks
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Dave did you recently wire anything before all this sterted? Kill switch? Sounds like something is shorting out. So car is turning over but not starting?

You may end up replacing the wiring harness.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
The last wiring I did was a two race weekends ago and it consisted of connecting two warning lights at the dash and running power to the data I added. Everything else is the same since last year.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
That "squeal" you heard could well have been an over-charged battery venting out through the battery vent. I know, it sounds weird, but I have seen it... once before.
  • KentCarter likes this
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

That "squeal" you heard could well have been an over-charged battery venting out through the battery vent. I know, it sounds weird, but I have seen it... once before.

I'm sure that's what the squeal ended up being, it was still doing it and the battery looked like a football it was so swollen when I opened the trunk.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I would just change out the wire harness, you could play around changing parts piece by piece and still never find the problem. my bet is wire harness from Drago, is not much $$$$$...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I would just change out the wire harness, you could play around changing parts piece by piece and still never find the problem. my bet is wire harness from Drago, is not much $$$$$...

I will check with him. Any idea how involved it is changing one out?

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
Your data system might log battery voltage. Most do. See what it tells you.

A BIG point on wiring. Be very careful of ground loops on 94+ cars. They rely on sensors (including the ECU-based voltage regulator for the alternator) that are very sensitive to voltage differences. Simply adding a ground for a data system or a dash instrument can create a voltage offset that could upset a subsystem.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
My theroy based on what you have written.

Battery slid in its mount, positive cable touched body creating a direct short. Damage done to alternator, ECU and dash cluster.

I had a donor car once that would not turn off with the dash connected. Had to pull the injector fuse to stop engine. With dash unplugged car would operate normally. Put in new dash cluster and all was fixed.

99s have all kinds of wierd electrical problems.

Dave
  • Mike Asselta likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Your data system might log battery voltage. Most do. See what it tells you.

A BIG point on wiring. Be very careful of ground loops on 94+ cars. They rely on sensors (including the ECU-based voltage regulator for the alternator) that are very sensitive to voltage differences. Simply adding a ground for a data system or a dash instrument can create a voltage offset that could upset a subsystem.

Kent...can you elaborate on this please? Since one of the first replies to anyone with electrical problems is "check grounds", I have seen several cars with " extra grounds" or bigger wire grounds in an attempt to make sure there is always grounds. But if I understand what you are saying, grounds other than stock grounds in the car may create problems?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Grounding is a black art. Many years ago, I worked in the field of professional audio and learned to respect grounds while designing and installing massively complex audio (and video) systems.

When electrical engineers design grounds, they are looking at two issues: getting the electrons out of and back into the battery efficiently (for good power and safety) and signal quality. For running the fan or the headlights, noise in the power line doesn't matter much. They run those grounds to convenient chassis points. However, look at the grounds for the engine sensors and you'll see something completely different. Most, if not all, come to a common ground block near the ECU. This is because signal quality is key and power requirements are low. Some sensors (like O2 sensors) have tiny little signals that can be overwhelmed or lost in the noise. Auto makers take great care in designing the grounds and signal paths for such sensors. And we tend to be careless with little wires under the dash. Not good.

My rule is that anything that connects to anything that directly connects to the ECU gets grounded at the factory location.

Cars get really complex because of the mix of high current loads and grounds and low-voltage, low-current sensor grounds. If a big ground (like a headlight or engine block) gets corroded, a smaller ground wire (with a higher resistance) in parallel with the main ground can have 'pressure' put on it and this results in a ground that isn't at ground. The 'ground' wire can then be a few volts higher in potential than the ground post of the battery. All hale can break loose when this happens. Sensors don't sense, relays don't relay, ECU's lose their smoke.

This is a pretty good article:
http://blueguitar.or...ground_loop.pdf

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
Although I agree with you 100% on the theory, I don't think it is practical in the spec miata world.

In actuality, most sensor grounds are slightly elevated (0.2volts) for this exact reason.

This problem looks to me to be a short circuit based problem, not a bad ground/feedback problem

Dave
  • TEAM MEDICARE likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Although I agree with you 100% on the theory, I don't think it is practical in the spec miata world.

In actuality, most sensor grounds are slightly elevated (0.2volts) for this exact reason.

This problem looks to me to be a short circuit based problem, not a bad ground/feedback problem

Dave

It's almost impossible to get an automotive sensor ground to zero. The key is that there is a tolerance built into the system. If you lose a major ground (engine block for example) a sensor ground could get several volts on it and then you have a misfire or a failure.

I don't disagree that this sounds like a short, except that a battery short usually leaves evidence somewhere: fire, smoke, welded bits, etc. Since this problem cropped up with his installation of a data system and a couple of warning lights, I really wonder how he wired it. Did he create a ground loop at the ECU? He's lost an ECU and has what could be a significant over charging issue that is boiling the battery.

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Battery slid in its mount, positive cable touched body creating a direct short. Damage done to alternator, ECU and dash cluster.

I had a donor car once that would not turn off with the dash connected. Had to pull the injector fuse to stop engine. With dash unplugged car would operate normally. Put in new dash cluster and all was fixed.

Dave

Dave - I replaced the battery, alternator and ECU along with the wiper controls and fan relay and I still am getting an overcharge. Would the dash have anything to do with the overcharge?

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Kent - As far as grounds, the data (a traqmate) I grounded to a bolt running into the bodywork in the trunk. The warning lights are doing the same, but in the engine compartment.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
You might take a close look at the wire to your alternator assuming you wired the kill switch the typical way with the normal wire to the alt now going to the battery, and the battery hooked up directly to the alt. It sits close to the intake manifold support. I accidentally shorted it to that brace once being a bonehead and not disconnecting the battery and it melted the wire insulation and burned up some of the lead on the battery terminal. It's carrying some juice. If that wire was abraded or melted (like mine) it's and easy source for a short to something else.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Number:70

Dave

Dave is right. This happened to one of the front running cars at the run-offs last week. Saw it with my own two eyes. The battery didn't contact the body, but instead the bracket that holds the battery down.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
The dash does have some amount of control over the alt on a 99. Completely unplug the dash and recheck the alternator output.

As mentioned above, I had a donor car that had an "electrical" problem. New battery, 3 alts, ECU and finally the dash assembly cured the problem. I think the root cause was the dash.

Haven't seen it since, but it took a lot of patience (and swearing) to sort it out.

I also had another 99 that was overcharging. After checking diagnostic codes, I found the wire harness had several contact clips broken inside the plastic connectors under the dash. ECU would not communicate with the scan tool. My theory is that this was a flood car.

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
uggghhh.... thanks for the info. Will do some more checking.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
What data system do you have? MOST log battery voltage. If you see a big rise you have a regulator problem. If you see a drop, you may have a short.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users