- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
First off, to be clear I am not agitating for an expensive rules change, given that I just purchased the full Mazdaspeed Spec Miata suspension for my SSM build and so am vested in the rules stay as they are.

That said, I am curious what SM racers could change in this package in the way of spring and damping rates, adjust ability, etc, if they had their choice. I've read some forum posts in the past saying that this package is over sprung and under damped, and compared to my street car's Flyin' Miata 2.5 kit I can totally see that point. Wonder if others agree (again, strictly out of curiosity).

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any

First off, to be clear I am not agitating for an expensive rules change, given that I just purchased the full Mazdaspeed Spec Miata suspension for my SSM build and so am vested in the rules stay as they are.

That said, I am curious what SM racers could change in this package in the way of spring and damping rates, adjust ability, etc, if they had their choice. I've read some forum posts in the past saying that this package is over sprung and under damped, and compared to my street car's Flyin' Miata 2.5 kit I can totally see that point. Wonder if others agree (again, strictly out of curiosity).

Larger bars for body roll, smaller spring rates for undulation handling and a shock with a bit more dampening is my vote.

What we have today was a guess that got so huge it could not be corrected. The huge part is my fault so not much I can say.

VERY glad is was a good guess.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Larger bars for body roll, smaller spring rates for undulation handling and a shock with a bit more dampening is my vote.

What we have today was a guess that got so huge it could not be corrected. The huge part is my fault so not much I can say.

It was a damn good guess! What kind of development were you able to go through to come to these spring and damping rates? Did you have an opportunity to test many different variations?

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Niklas Falk

Niklas Falk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:55
Wouldn't shorter shock bodies (more travel) be very high up on the list?

In our free class we run about the same spring rates (730/500 personally) but then it's a lot about the bar/shock settings (more than one sweetspot and we don't have 1k drivers as a development platsform).

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Wouldn't shorter shock bodies (more travel) be very high up on the list?

In our free class we run about the same spring rates (730/500 personally) but then it's a lot about the bar/shock settings (more than one sweetspot and we don't have 1k drivers as a development platsform).

OOooooooo yeah, after setting ride heights yesterday I see what you mean about shorter shock bodies. With those spring rates, how do your damping rates change?

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Only been around a short while so I'm just going by what I've heard and not experienced. But it seems the bigger bar required for the 1.8(27mm)up until this year has been very unpopular? Been told it is just to stiff...are you saying JD that you prefer this over the 24mm and maybe even a stiffer bar? Or is this only if you could change spring rate and the dampening at the same time.

On a separate rules related note...the NA 1.8 can now use the 24mm bar from what I've read. Is this also true for the NB?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Better shocks. The Bilstein HD aren't well valved for these spring rates and race usage.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Niklas Falk

Niklas Falk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Number:55

OOooooooo yeah, after setting ride heights yesterday I see what you mean about shorter shock bodies. With those spring rates, how do your damping rates change?

OT
Custom built (non-adjustable CUP) Bilsteins so I don't have a clue how they compare to the ones you use. I also have a bit (too) harsh low speep compression currently so don't use my values as any indicator (I don't even know if I got the final numbers from my shock builder). I've registered LazyRacing.se for a reason :)

Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Number:12

Only been around a short while so I'm just going by what I've heard and not experienced. But it seems the bigger bar required for the 1.8(27mm)up until this year has been very unpopular? Been told it is just to stiff...are you saying JD that you prefer this over the 24mm and maybe even a stiffer bar? Or is this only if you could change spring rate and the dampening at the same time.

On a separate rules related note...the NA 1.8 can now use the 24mm bar from what I've read. Is this also true for the NB?

What's an NA, and NB?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

What's an NA, and NB?

Really?? NA...1st generation Miata 90-97 NB...2nd generation 99-2005 NC...3rd generation 2006-present.

Anybody have a answer to my original question?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Kind following the NASCAR set-ups. Softer springs with BIGGER bars, watch the cars entering/exiting the straight aways, they have several inches of travel now!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

Sounds very close to what I'm doing for a " budget " ITA conversion :
- softer front spring rate
- ISC Shock Hats with no bump stops
- Bernie doing me a set of shocks
- Trying to figure out which sways ( ISC has one that looks good but $$$ )

Time will tell how it works out

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88

Short answer: No, must use 27 mm

Wiseass answer: It's in the rulebooks - look it up. :P
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Short answer: No, must use 27 mm

Wiseass answer: It's in the rulebooks - look it up. :P

I figured with not many people here yet I could get away with it :D

DM 1 RA 0 :P

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Thanks!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Thanks! Double post...guess you can't delete?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I figured with not many people here yet I could get away with it :D

DM 1 RA 0 :P

Perhaps we should use the reputation buttons for this keeping of score? Posted Image

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users