Photo

How do you replace differential bushings?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Georgia
does anybody know how to change/get out the differential bushings? The large differential donuts at the ends of the housings. Thanks -Jake
NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Jake, if the bushing in a Spec Miata & are not rotten or super soft why are you taking the bushings out?

I have a 1990 & they are the only bushings I didn't change. I also have a back-up rear end completly assembled into the aluminum housing & I didn't change those bushings either. The bushing seem solid & hard, good to go.

Presuming your replacing them & don't mind destroying them (I don't believe they can be taken out without destroying), use a Saber saw being sure you don't cut/mark the aluminum housing. IIRC there is a steel bushing in the center for which you might use a fine toothed blade & use a courser blade for the rubber. Once you've made two seperat cuts about 90 degrees apart through almost to the aluminum housing I would beleive you should be able to use a hammer & chisel to knock the stuff out.
  • Jake Bailey likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90
Drive them out with an air hammer. 30 seconds each side. Done. The new ones press in on a real press, or rig up a vise as a press. Not hard to press in either way, be sure the "slots" are aligned parallel to the axle shafts.
  • Jake Bailey likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Bench Racer. The reason for replacement is that that the current bushing is partially cut out and can not be used as is. The bad bushing is on a differential that is only on our car for temporary use while our limited slit is being repaired. We tried just hitting it out and that didn't seem to work lol. I really appreciate your advice! :spin: -Jake
NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the help guys

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
Best tool for doing bushings that I've ever used is this one:
http://www.harborfre...ress-33497.html
Makes pressing bushings out/in an easy task - if you know how to use it and how to place sockets and such on the bushing so that you don't damage the part the bushing is pressed into.
Haven't used it on the Miata yet but have on my Rx7.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I've had one of these for about 12 years and it is still working great. With the usual 20% discount coupon, it was only about $89 back then. I use it all the time.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Look at the service manual when installing.. It is my belief that manual is correct and every Miata ver built has the bushings in incorrectly..
I would install like the service manual suggests.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Look at the service manual when installing.. It is my belief that manual is correct and every Miata ver built has the bushings in incorrectly..
Jim

WHAT???? Read the instructions,.....we don't need no stinkin instructions...... :whistling:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Jim

Jim, if the reference is to the fore & aft for the voids is there a known reason for there radial location? :noidea:

My spare unit (presume OEM installed) has the voids pass side, drivers side. :scratchchin:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
The manual shows the voids front and back, the manual shows the voids left and right. My logic is that the rear is braced by the power plant brace front to back. I would think the manual is correct in that you want the voids front and back, because the brace holds that dimension. I wouldn't think you would want the voids left and right because the rear would shift that way and compress the voids? When we replace, we put in as the manual suggests? Any engineers want to take a crack at it?
  • RWP80000 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The manual shows the voids front and back, the manual shows the voids left and right.

The FSM written words say, "Install the mounting rubber with the voids fore & aft", not the position they seem to come OEM. The FSM drawing picture shows the voids left & right with the words front on the right side & rear on the left side. A little contradiction maybe.

Would be interesting for the FL Auto Tech to view this thread.

I do understand your word description logic.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I do understand your word description logic.

What is your opinion on which way to install?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

What is your opinion on which way to install?

I would throw my hat towards left side, right side. Only because the Power Plant Frame holds the diff housing pretty firmly fore/aft.

Maybe the void position plays along with the other dufingy rubber bushings/steel plate that attach to the chassis, maybe it's a cost savings of rubber, comes out of the mold better, ???

The FL Auto Tech's name is Dave Stien, I 'll send a pm for another thought.

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all your help. Jim, congrats on the run-offs win.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Thank you

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
I'd go with the voids being oriented front and rear as the drawing has them labeled, rather than as the drawing seems to illustrate (laterally). Ultimately, pinion/diff housing angle will be set as the PPF locates it, and the voids (if positioned fore and aft) will relieve tension/flex on the diff bushings. Keep in mind the differential tries to rotate under acceleration and braking as well, in spite of the PPF.

... at least that my thoughts on the logic behind it.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

mrmonk7663

mrmonk7663

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car Year:2002
Bumping very old post to perhaps shed light. This is a RX7 differential housing. This is a set of factory bushings. This is the diff housing that many folks swap to and is a direct fit in the Miata. As you can see the bushings are Fore and Afft from the factory.

Attached Files

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This is the diff housing that many folks swap to and is a direct fit in the Miata. 

It is a direct fit if you remove the OEM RX7 bushings and replace with the OEM Miata bushings...that simple!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RWP80000

RWP80000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:SoPac
  • Car Year:1999

The manual shows the voids front and back, the manual shows the voids left and right. My logic is that the rear is braced by the power plant brace front to back. I would think the manual is correct in that you want the voids front and back, because the brace holds that dimension. I wouldn't think you would want the voids left and right because the rear would shift that way and compress the voids? When we replace, we put in as the manual suggests? Any engineers want to take a crack at it?

I could see the case that the NVH developers may have wanted that for impact harshness as in tar strips and concrete parting lines.  Customer comfort duing daily use having priority over driveline displacement.

Rich Powers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users