- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Thought I'd share some of my winter projects.
When I built the car back in the winter of 2009 I was on a somewhat compressed time schedule. From the time I got the cage back from the builder until the first track event was only 4 weeks. Because of this, some things I would have liked to do on the build got sidelined, with the biggest being I never cleaned up the ugly dull stock engine bay.

My stock engine (75K) is coming out. Although I live on the West Coast, I'll be moving back East at the end of next summer so I decided to purchase an engine from an east coast builder. A deal on a one weekend old refreshed Rossini motor popped up a few months ago that I couldn't pass up so I made the purchase.

I started by stripping the front of the car. I removed the bumpers, fenders, hood, and both doors. To make some room in the garage, I moved most of this stuff out to the trailer, which has been converted into a storage facility for the winter. My son thought this was great fun.

665268_10151141759441169_1416524443_o by duncanrellis, on Flickr

After removal of all the body panels and the radiator, I had a friend come over and we removed the engine, transmission, and both cross members. Sorry, no pictures, but it was very straight forward. Below is a picture of my now empty engine compartment.

680492_10151149262891169_1045609352_o by duncanrellis, on Flickr
After a few rounds with the degreaser, scrub brushes, and a hose, I managed to remove 10 years of road grime from the front of the car. From then, it was onto scuffing up the surface to prepare for primer. This process is no fun.

Making progress.

132968_10151150274566169_936386426_o by duncanrellis, on Flickr

More scuffing continued, then cleaning with acetone, and then finally the primer went on.

57532_10151151534026169_1098185966_o by duncanrellis, on Flickr
For the paint, I chose TCP Global's single stage urethane in pure white. I've used them before, and it's a great product at significantly cheaper than the paint store brands (PPG, etc...) After the first coat.

178214_10151151684356169_2117048818_o by duncanrellis, on Flickr
All done with most of the tape off. I'll let this sit for a week to make sure the paint is good and hard before I start reassembly.

IMG_5689 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Now it's on to cleaning up the subframes. More pictures to follow.

IMG_5691 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

thanks,

Duncan

• Jason J Ball likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
great work Duncan,, you've inspired me!!! I may do the same!!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Found this today when I removed the rear calipers. Need to have a closer look at the caliper and see why this might of happened.

Posted Image
IMAG0243 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Duncan, that is very interesting as I found the exact same thing on my front calipers!!! I have a theory,, do you have the clips in your calipers ?

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Duncan, that is very interesting as I found the exact same thing on my front calipers!!! I have a theory,, do you have the clips in your calipers ?

I do have the clips, but I think the pad got cocked in the slider and the piston bent it. The caliper slides free on a casual inspection. I'll give it a closer look and regrease everything. The slider got a little mangled but I always replace those in the off-season anyway. It must of happened last event because I take the calipers off after every race to inspect the pads.

Duncan

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Spent the rest of today cleaning parts. Took awhile to get 10 years of oil and grime off the front and rear subframes. At some point the car had both a leaking exhaust and torn axle boot. Also cleaned the powerplant frame.

Posted Image
IMAG0245 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMAG0244 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Going to spend tomorrow cleaning and painting some of the smaller parts (brackets, brake booster, etc) in preparation for re-installing everything in the engine compartment.

Duncan

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

Found this today when I removed the rear calipers. Need to have a closer look at the caliper and see why this might of happened.

Posted Image
IMAG0243 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Duncan

That's very odd. I can see one crack in the lining but it doesn't line up with the bend. Surprised there isn't massive amounts of liner missing in the vicinity of the bend but that's assuming the lining material isn't flexible or ductile at all.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Could it be the bottom was hung up or not inserted right and the top was, bent and then run like that for a while?
My wild imagination

When you get new pads, do you scrap the paint out in between where they go in.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
The pad was not installed properly. Do not ask how I know this !!!!!!

Anti rattle clips help with installation, but here are a couple tips

Install a lug nut to keep the rotor from wobbling
Only remove one caliper bolt, pivot the caliper for removal, on reassembly use one hand to hold the caliper up on the pivot bolt. The other hand holds the pads in place while lowering the caliper
Always check to make sure the pads move freely. A pad that fell out will be bound up tight.

Brakes will feel "odd". They do not pull or anything like that. They just are not right. Once bent, that pad is junk. I have never had pad seperation on a MIata, but I have had it on other cars.

Dave
  • Jim Drago likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
what Dave said.. we have all done this

The car looks very nice
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Nice job.

Since you have the drivetrain out and everything is clean, consider adding some DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield along the trans tunnel and in front of the driver's feet at the firewall. Makes a world of difference in keeping the cockpit cool and the driver comfortable.

http://www.designeng...ound-insulation

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

The pad was not installed properly. Do not ask how I know this !!!!!!

Anti rattle clips help with installation, but here are a couple tips

Install a lug nut to keep the rotor from wobbling
Only remove one caliper bolt, pivot the caliper for removal, on reassembly use one hand to hold the caliper up on the pivot bolt. The other hand holds the pads in place while lowering the caliper
Always check to make sure the pads move freely. A pad that fell out will be bound up tight.

Brakes will feel "odd". They do not pull or anything like that. They just are not right. Once bent, that pad is junk. I have never had pad seperation on a MIata, but I have had it on other cars.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Do you know if it's possible to buy a hardware kit from Mazda MotorSports? I looked on the site but couldn't find one. I really just want the clips.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Duncan

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
Yes, you can buy the hardware kits. I usually order a few in the beginning of the seaon when I do my oil fiter/consumables order. I don't know the part number right now, but I usually just ask for the brake caliper/hardware kit.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Duncan, I've got some extra I can send you

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Duncan, I've got some extra I can send you

Todd,

Thanks, but I'll pick a set up from Mazda. I've got a few more parts I have to order anyway before this thing is back together.

Duncan

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Some more progress made over the weekend.

Subframes, plus control arms, mostly prepped for paint.

Posted Image
IMG_5702 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Started the reinstallation of things back in the engine compartment, while being very careful around the still new paint.

Posted Image
IMG_5701 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Refinished the brake booster, plus a new master cylinder.

Posted Image
IMG_5700 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Almost ready to re-install the engine. Still waiting on my clutch from Dave, plus some little odds and ends, but will probably have it back in by the weekend.

Posted Image
IMG_5699 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Cleaned up the steering rack the best I could without taking it apart.

Posted Image
IMG_5703 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Will post some pictures of the subframes after paint. That should be the last of the painting. Thank goodness. If I ever get a little more geographically stable (currently active duty military) my shop will have room for a permanent paint booth so I don't have to spend hours of my life putting up and taking down plastic and setting up fans.

Duncan

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Looks great and you're making me feel lazy. :)
Just a FYI
http://mazdaracers.c...__fromsearch__1
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
Duncan you do realize that rain is forecast for Sonoma Feb 9th and 10th right?? (just sayin) :bash: :bash:

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
More painting today. I'm doing the subframes in POR-15. Primed both the front and rear subframes today and painted the tops of the control arms. Paint takes awhile to dry so this process takes awhile. Still less mess than setting up another spray booth.

Can't decide on the color of the subframes. Torn between gray and black. Any thoughts? The black's a little easier to paint but I thought the gray might be an interesting contrast. I have both paints on hand.

Here's some pictures.

Shiny diff.

Posted Image
IMG_5707 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Primed front subframe. Need to do a little bit of sanding to cut a few runs and then it's ready for paint.

Posted Image
IMG_5706 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Primed rear subframe. This thing was no fun to paint. Not recommended.

Posted Image
IMG_5705 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Shiny control arms. Sorry for the terrible light. It's cold outside and I have the heater on so the paint drys properly. Lots of shadows from the overhead lights and halogen spotlights I'm using to work.

Posted Image
IMG_5704 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

More updates later.

Duncan

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Duncan you do realize that rain is forecast for Sonoma Feb 9th and 10th right?? (just sayin) :bash: :bash:

If I don't work on this I have to confront finishing my thesis. :)

Duncan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users