Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
Looks like the Dean Thomas/Randy Pobst Norma dropped out after 4 laps. Anyone know what happened?
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
We are down but not out. Lost the alternator and oil pump belt. May have damaged the engine beyond repair, but we are putting the car back together now and will send it back out shortly. Could go 23 hours or 45 seconds... We'll see.

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Good luck Dean!

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
MiataCage are 1-2 with Tim Auger's Augersmiles.com Miata in hot pursuit 2 laps back.

The Norma has retired, better luck next year Dean.

Dennis

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Great to see how well the Oregon Miatacage team is doing....1st and 2nd in E3 at the 8 hour mark. 3 lap lead. Wonder how the Toyo RR's are performing?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Just got back home,, lot's of great racing!!

joe varble

joe varble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:buccaneer
AND ????? who did what?
tks

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
MiataCage still running 1-2 in E3 at the 20 hour mark. Oregon boys are kicking butt!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
And it's not even raining!

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
Woo hoo! Team Miatacage sweeps 1st and 2nd in E3 class. Way to go!
  • Jim Drago likes this

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Car Number:42
Not to hijack the thread,, but how were the RR's ????

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Remind me not to race a Fiat...

http://www.youtube.c...&v=5-0xbQF4k3s#!

They repaired it, and managed to keep it on the tires for the 25 ( or 18 on track and 7 back paddock)

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
I hate that turn...

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47
Miata Cage was very impressive although not surprising as they have done it before, 1-2 in any race like this deserves a ton of R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Way to go guys!
  • john mueller and Roger Caddell like this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
The Audi was out after a few hours, I heard they caught fire.
Dean/Randy/Brian had their problems too.
Race Engineering, Dan, Darin had electric but figured it out.
MiataCage pits for brake pad changes were NASCAR fast, well done the whole race.
A+ engine grenaded around 9p, all types of problem swapping a new engine in and a LT frt hub, got out at 2:30a but only ran a few hours on the 2nd engine.
Nissan Sentra did a engine swap
TFB did a great job but broke a throttle cable with like 3 laps to go. finished with throttle by hand. 5th over all, I think.
64 Porshe had problems with an hour to go.
Didn't hear any problems on the RR but many I followed were on Hoosiers and Hankooks.
I leaving some out I'm sure.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
#64 Porsche had brake failure in turn 10.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
This is a post from Rennlist on the RR.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just flying back from the 25. I didn't drive this year, but did get a chance to look at about 30 used RR's, and talk to some of the teams that ran them.

I looked at more than 30 used tires, many down to the cords. Build date ranges from the 31st to 38th week of 2012. All were 205/50/15's. I was told team had a seam split in practice as Phil mentioned (mounted the opposite way as indicated) but did not see it. To my surprise, I could not find any seams at all in the tires I looked at much less chunks or failed tires. Some of these build dates overlap those that I had my issue with.

I am not saying that it can't or won't happen, but I didn't to the many tires that I saw. __________________
Eric Kuhns
Small town Doc, in Sterling, IL.
NASA National 944 Spec Director
#80 Pinetree Motorsports 944 Spec
2007 & 2008 National Champion
2011 & 2012 Nationals - 2nd

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
To Team Miatacage, let me be the first to say, IT'S ABOUT TIME!! :) Congrats, guys. You always did the right prep, ran clean races and had luck turn against you. This was your year and the persistence paid off. Congratulations on beating a deep field of experience and talent!

Our failures on the Norma weren't nearly as spectacular at the Cup Car and didn't involve mud or barbed wire fences... :) Our decision late in the season to go from supercharging to NA on the engine left us with a couple small problems without the proper time to work them all out. We had some belt alignment issues that were extremely difficult to diagnose because in this car the belts are on the front of the motor which just so happens to be about 1/4" from the back of the tub/firewall. So even a belt change means disconnecting the entire engine assembly from the chassis...

After qualifying, overnight, the team tried to address the issue, but the car had problems on the very first lap. On lap 4, the belt jumped and the engine lost oil pressure and voltage at the same time, but ran just long enough to grind a bunch of metal into the oil... Over the course of just over an hour, the team did some fabrication work on the alternator mount to better align the pulleys to get the car back on track, really just so the drivers could have some fun. We knew at that point there was really no way the car was going to last the entire race. Brian Frisselle went back out in the car and on his next to last lap on light fuel ran what would be the fastest lap of the race - a 1:42. Randy Pobst got in the car and was quick immediately. He had contact with a Miata and damaged the RR wheel. He came in for fuel and a new set of tires. He was fast again, so the car clearly wasn't damaged. About an hour later, one of the Cup Cars made a pretty aggressive moved exiting T15 and forced him into the pit lane after slight contact. More fuel and we sent him back out. Randy was complaining of an intermittent miss. I got in about 20 minutes later - it was already dark.

I ran for just over an hour and the intermittent miss became a full-on stumble across the rev range. I finally pitted and the team made a small fuel pressure adjustment and put in new plugs. The car came alive and I ran about 10 more laps. Exiting T6, I felt something change dramatically and the car really started to stumble. I limped back to the pits, but the damage was already done. The belt jumped again - no oil pressure - and a nasty knock in the engine. Game over. I feel really bad for Brandon Kraus who never even got to turn a race lap in the car.

There's already discussion of putting a small Mazda Skytech diesel in this chassis for next year. Going from about 170ft-lbs to 440+??? Beef up that tranny then sign me up! :) :)

What an incredible opportunity for me to drive next to some incredible pro drivers. I learned a ton, made some new friends and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. And, I've gotta say, running mid 1:4x's through traffic at night is about as awesome a driving experience as I can imagine!

Cheers,

Dean
  • john mueller, Charlie Hayes and gkmccready like this

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

#64 Porsche had brake failure in turn 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrveASsJMZ0

I've seen this over the years and I'm not one for sand traps but this would be a great place to put one at the end.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Or, just put 50 photographers there to slow the car down like they did at the outside of T1 at the start... ;-)

Former driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 25 hour, Thunderhill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users