Photo

Ultra-Shield Pro Road Race or Small Adult Total Support?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

healthynine

healthynine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Car Year:1993
I'm just about to dig in and start my build, but I am not entirely sure what seat I should go with. I went to Advanced about a month ago and sat in a 15" Pro Road Race that was too big and a 14" Rally Sport that fit better.

I just measured today, and I came in at 13.5, which tells me I should be good with the 14. On Ultra-Shield's site, there is a 14" available in the Pro Road Race and the Small Adult Total Support. Before I order the Pro Road Race, I was just wondering if there were any advantages to go with either one of these seats. When I searched for the Small Adult, nothing came up.

From what I can tell, there is more hip padding on the Pro Race, but the support in the mid section looks better (tighter) on the Small Adult. For reference, I'm a little over 5'9" and about 145. Thanks!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I was at PRI last week and sat in several Kirkey seats. I have an ultrashield in the car, but we are taking t out and ordering a Kirkey,
much better seat IMO
  • KentCarter likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
Best: RaceTech
Next: Kirkey

.... and the rest.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I was at PRI last week and sat in several Kirkey seats. I have an ultrashield in the car, but we are taking t out and ordering a Kirkey,
much better seat IMO

I really like my Kirkey. I ended up with the Black Air Knit fabric and it was worth the expense IMO, breathes and wears very well.

I'm not sure you can get it in 14" though, for the original post.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

healthynine

healthynine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
If 14" isn't available then that isn't going to be of much help. I was looking at Kirkey's site last night. They do look nice but Ultra-Shield seems to fit the budget better too. I emailed Ultra-Shield to see if they have a good recommendation.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Ask Wheeler if he has customer with a 14 inch Ultra Pro road race seat for trial. There is a new build guy Jeremy in Frankland I'll e-mail and ask his seat manufacture and size.

I happen to have a 16 inch Ultra Shield Pro which is neither here nor there, except it fits my body very well. I had a Kirkey in my previous car.

Please keep in mind that Jim Drago will have a harder time fitting into a seat, or should I have said finding a seat that fits. :duck: But then maybe not, because the seat manufactures may make The Champion a seat to fit. :scratchchin:

David Dewhurst
Wauwatosa
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I can not say anything bad about Kirkeys product. I used to sell them 10 years ago. My issue was that they wanted to deal only with BIG orders. Like a containers load at a time. I found Ultrasheild and they have been a great company to deal with. I just got off the phone with Ultrasheild an hour ago. They are currently 4-5 weeks out on all orders. I am sure the holiday comes into play.

I have a semi custom seat to order and can get any special requests on that order (colors, stripes etc) if you contact me by end of the week.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Please keep in mind that Jim Drago will have a harder time fitting into a seat, or should I have said finding a seat that fits. :duck: But then maybe not, because the seat manufactures may make The Champion a seat to fit. :scratchchin:

They will make me a seat, just as long as I pay for it , just like ultrashield :) Pretty standard seat 17 in, but the belts and shoulders need to be moved up. In any event, either is custom order, as most all probably are. My ultrashield over time has twisted and flexed, even with a back brace. The back is twisted in it right now. Ultrashield was great to deal with, but the seat is just not built as well IMO. Well, that isn't fair, "my" seat isn't built as well as what I looked at in a Kirkey. Also in all fairness, I am 275 lbs and been lots bigger, so I probably put more of a "load" on my seat than most ever will.
The seats are comparable road race seats, mid to upper range, I think the Kirkey was a few hundred dollars more than ultrashield.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:27
Have any of you tried a Buttler Built seat? I too spent time several years ago at the PRI Show sitting in seats and found their off the shelve full containment seat to be high quaility and well built. They have an E-Z Series Sprint seat in 14-1/2. I haven't checked but they were about $595.00 a while back. Just sharing some thing that worked for me.

healthynine

healthynine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

I can not say anything bad about Kirkeys product. I used to sell them 10 years ago. My issue was that they wanted to deal only with BIG orders. Like a containers load at a time. I found Ultrasheild and they have been a great company to deal with. I just got off the phone with Ultrasheild an hour ago. They are currently 4-5 weeks out on all orders. I am sure the holiday comes into play.

I have a semi custom seat to order and can get any special requests on that order (colors, stripes etc) if you contact me by end of the week.

Dave

Dave,

I probably will, I just want to wait to see if I hear back from Ultrashield. Can you give me a price on both the pro race and the small adult? On a side note, do you have any hardtops available? I'm not having the best luck finding one.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Lots of options. Give me a call and I can get accurate pricing.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

healthynine

healthynine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
I decided to go with the Pro Road Race. Thanks Dave!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users