what happened to SM in the Midwest???

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

xczach

xczach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
I haven't begun the process to start racing yet but I've been checking results over the years in the Midwest Division. Although SM participation was huge back in 2006, in 2012 the participation in the division is anemic. This is especially true in the part of the division that I would be racing in. I am in Sioux City, Iowa, so I would be racing at MAM, MPH, Iowa Speedway, Kansas Speedway, and Topeka. What happened to cause the numbers to drop so badly?
  • Adax likes this

bienc

bienc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. I'm one of the very few that raced in SM with DMVR at MAM last season. I think what happened was a combination of burnout with the class for some coupled with the rising costs (pro built engines, etc.) for others. Some retired, some moved on to BMW's, but most collectively jumped ship to race their Miatas in Improved Touring A. ITA is pretty healthy.

As it sits now, one could race SM with DMVR with a $5k car, junkyard motor, Toyos, etc. and be right in the mix with, um, all 3 of us. Those of us who are in SM are all new racers within the last couple of years and doing it with small budgets.

Now when I head over to Cen Div, it's reversed. ITA is all but dead and SM is the most populated class.

-Chris

KAGEY

KAGEY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:43
I work weekends so I could only get out for the double national this year at Mam. What happened in the Midwest division is many people got into the class early so no one had a 99. When the 99 became the car to have (it still is no matter what the pundits tell you) most did not want to change models so some sold and many moved to ITA. Another factor is the magic gas years opened peoples eyes literally and figuratively to the lengths many would go to win. With that said SM is still by far the best class in SCCA don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Kurtis

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Glad to see Kurtis is till chasing rainbows. Or is it thunderstorms?

If you are not happy with the competition at Middiv events, try Midwestern Council. Majority of races are at Blackhawk and since I maintain most of the cars, I can vouch for legality and no funny fuel. When my big National guy$ use a MC event for testing, I run them in off classes or have them come in early to avoid effecting points battles.

Most are 1 day events and lots of fun

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I had this conversation with Charlie James a few months ago. Here is a list of Mid Div points at the end of the season.. Sad that most all are gone. I think much of what was said is correct, that coupled with bad economy, lost of tracks ( Memphis and Gateway) and the overall distance one would need to travel in Mid div makes it tough for all. I agree that costs and maybe the fun factor was polished off the apple when it started getting competitive in 06 and moving forward, others went to a more relaxed place in the club? I will add what i think I know below

1 Jim Drago MidS Mazda Miata Still here fortunatley or unfortunately, depending on who you ask :)
2 Charlie James NeOk Mazda Miata Still races occasionally, but doing more ssc/B spec now
3 Richard Wiese StL Mazda Miata Went to Law school and bought a SRF, does a few local races a year
4 Hugh Sutton OzMt Mazda Miata Went through a divorce and bad economy
5 Roger Johnson MidS Mazda Miata retired
6 David Volante DMV Mazda Miata . . lost his fancy shoes, so he went to ITS with BMW with Jarrod Igou
7 Sam Henry OzMt Mazda Miata . went to F prod
8 Jarrod Igou DMV Mazda Miata . See his boyfriend above
9 Stephen Johnson KC Mazda Miata . . in and out, bad housing market, says he is coming back
10 Cliff Smith Okla Mazda Miata I dont know Cliff
11 Mike Asselta KC Mazda Miata .- unsafe, he still races, just not as much as he did or should
12 Tom Kraft DMV Mazda Miata . . Not sure if he stiull has a Sm, he built STL car
13 Jim Daniels MidS Mazda Miata Stopped SM in 04, ran just one race in my car
14 Rick Harris Wich Mazda Miata Went to FP
16 Roger Bryan Okla Mazda Miata . retired
17 Peter Lehr DMV Mazda Miata . Don't know Peter well
18 Mark Zwolle MidS Mazda Miata Moved top Atlanta, but not racing as much now eitther
19 Bob Bramlage Kan Mazda Miata believe he went to FP as well, or was always in FP and dabbled in SM
20 Mike Samis Okla Mazda Miata . Still runs some SM races, mostly just Hallett
21 Ryan Pemberton Neb Mazda Miata . out in early 06, not sure what they are doing
22 Bill Pemberton Neb Mazda Miata out in early 05
Raymond Yergler DMV Mazda Miata . moved to ITA, He evented "yergling" the throttle

they rest were 1 offs..

Wheeler still has a Sm, he races it occasional at Topeka, Oren Tucker runs ITA

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Number:70
That list brings back good memories...

I will race more when the moderator updates my "User Award's" on this site. :whistling: The more administrative work I can give him, the less time he can spend prepping his car.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
i bought Bill Pemberton's car and raced it pretty much every weekend that I also raced the American Sedan. They then changed the groups so that AS and SM were in the same race group. More workers, students, etc. have run the SM than I have in recent years. I ran it at HPT since that was a "Majors" race where the ASedan was not invited.
wheel

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
What happened to Casey ??? Z brothers racing??? Was a regular poster on the other site.

Were brothers Steve and Tom S. MidWest or CenDiv?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

What happened to Casey ??? Z brothers racing??? Was a regular poster on the other site.

Were brothers Steve and Tom S. MidWest or CenDiv?

Steve stopped by my shop a few weeks ago right before the F1 race, he has been swamped with work. Since his brother Tom couldn't get medical clearance with SCCA, he lost interest. Still has his cars though..

Casey, not sure if he has his car, but he took a new job and seems super busy all the time with work and family, doesn't even race Hallet anymore?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

12 Tom Kraft DMV Mazda Miata . . Not sure if he stiull has a Sm, he built STL car

Raymond Yergler DMV Mazda Miata . moved to ITA, He evented "yergling" the throttle

You haven't lived until you've been Yergle-passed in a corner you didn't think being passed was possible. If the Runoffs or Formula 1 were run at IRP, there would be statues of Yergler throughout the state of Indiana and Jim Nabors would sing songs about him.

Also, it is a proven scientific fact that nobody from outside MIDDiv can tell the difference between Kraft and Yergler unless they are standing beside each other.

The best I could come up with is this:
Kraft: Missing finger(s), and often accompanied by a dog. Blue trim on car. White open-faced helmet, with moustache.

Yergler: Drives a van with evangelical sayings on it, but takes the Lord's name in vain when complaining about Total-Seal rings not sealing worth a damn. Black trim on car. Had the only "off white" Spec MIata ever seen before or since. White open-faced helmet. with moustache.

I'm pretty sure they are the same person. Jarrod Igou calls both of them Dad. It is weird.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

bienc

bienc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Lots of reminiscing, but not much talk of building the class back up again.... :(

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Number:70
Do not despair Bink. My 94 is undergoing a full rotisserie restoration as we speak. With it, and my tiny restrictor hole, we will make a full frontal assault on the dominance of the 99 car.

We will conquer the Midwest (Conference) first, then race our way across the nation from the inside out, until we link up with the 1.6 cars on the left coast.

You will see. Even Blake's car will be sold before all is said and done

P.S.

:prayer: Thank you Jim. Thank you for my "User Awards." I will not squander this momentum.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jack Martin

Jack Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Wichita
  • Car Number:30
I crashed in 07. I was discouraged by the Pro motors, hot gas, etc. but mostly by the intense "win Turn 1 at all costs" by some of the drivers. I also didn't like the switch to Toyos, So I switched to AS. I did run a double national at Hastings in Wheel's car in 2011 w/ 2 entries. IMO it was a lot more fun as a Regional class with 25-30 car fields where a half dozen cars would battle (cleanly) for 10th place.
That said I did get the car back from the frame shop last week and I plan to race it some in 2013 but mostly in Hallett's Coma series when it doesn't conflict with my AS plans.
Jack

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

6 David Volante DMV Mazda Miata . . lost his fancy shoes, so he went to ITS with BMW with Jarrod Igou

I found the fancy shoes! :D :D :D

Posted Image

jigou

jigou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm pretty sure they are the same person. Jarrod Igou calls both of them Dad. It is weird.

Purely out of respect for my elders. You should hear what I call Volante late at night.

As for me, I wasn't fast enough in the car I had - had to go to the BMW without a restrictor so I could keep up. (Exact quote from BFClements on grid at the ARRC for the ProIT race this year, talking to my wife: "Hey, tell your husband if he wants to race with the SMs, to go BUY a SM!")

Volante and I got bitten by the enduro bug about the same time we were getting burned out with SM / wishing we had different cars, and decided to buy the BMW to share at local races and run enduros with it. So far, the tally is zero endurance races, with zero planned.....

I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered calling Mr. Wiltshire up and asking to borrow / buy back my old car....but I'm pretty sure if I return to SM on a semi-regular basis, it'll be in one of the "pretty" cars.

You know, a SamHenry 147.3 HP special. Don't really care what the chassis is. :spin:

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:6

(Exact quote from BFClements on grid at the ARRC for the ProIT race this year, talking to my wife: "Hey, tell your husband if he wants to race with the SMs, to go BUY a SM!")

I was only kinda kidding! :P

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Volante and I got bitten by the enduro bug about the same time we were getting burned out with SM / wishing we had different cars, and decided to buy the BMW to share at local races and run enduros with it. So far, the tally is zero endurance races, with zero planned.....

Look on the bright side: Since you chose a BMW, you could have started 5 or 10 enduros by now, not finished any of them, and be a top prep SM's worth of $$$ lighter just in replacement parts!

jigou

jigou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I was only kinda kidding! :P

Is that anything like the "kinda drinking" you did with our beer up at T5 during the ITS race? :D

Look on the bright side: Since you chose a BMW, you could have started 5 or 10 enduros by now, not finished any of them, and be a top prep SM's worth of $$$ lighter just in replacement parts!

The car has only been on fire once so far.....

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
I think the demise has been the dreaded 99. :king:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Miata25

Miata25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:23
With any luck I'll have my 1990 SM back out this year, but primarly running in STL and/or ITA. Hope to see all you guys at the first Rat/Rat/IT at Memphis International Raceway March 22, 23, & 24, 2013. We may also host an Alternate Driver's School during the practice day (March 22) for any novice drivers interested in working on a license. More info will be posted as it is confirmed.

Happy New Year

Mike West

Mike West

Memphis Barbeque Supply Motorsports (MBBQSupply.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users