David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of building my first Miata and looking for ideas on how to mount the seats. My dad will be welding in the MiataCage in January and we will mount the seats at the same time. I just want to see what other people have done for getting everything mounted in before we get started. I am most likely going to be getting the Kirkey Intermediat road race seat. I went to OG Racing to sit in some seats and found it the most comfortable and was really happy when I saw the price. They told me that most people put it directly on the floor, drill four holes through the seat and floor board, and then bolt it down. I am assuming that removing the stock "humps" is neccessary for this. I have two concerns with this. 1- I am not very tall so it will probably be too low for me. 2- How would you go about mounting the sub-marine belt if the seat is on the floor? I really want to put my seat on a slider in case anybody else drives it (which will be abnoxious with the seat back brace), but the passenger seat I am fine with bolting it to the floor if I can figure out how to mount the belts. Anybody have any tips or pictures of what they used?

Thanks,

David

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I am 5'11", and I built a frame that bolted, to the stock mounting points. If you mount to the floor, I would not be concerned about being to low, the lower the better.

If you mount to the floor, you still should have room for the belts, but maybe someone can comment on how they did it.

jim Drago, a vender in the Classified sells a floor pan insert, that you can weld in the gives you extra room to install a larger seat.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
I will be buying and installing a seat soon, too, in my '99 (and first) SM. I'll be watching this thread for any good advice posted. I do plan to use the Drago trans tunnel cut-out. I'm 6', 170 lb.

Thanks, guys.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
We tried mounting mine to the floor but the position wasn't good for me (6'). We then welded the humps back on and installed some 3" x 3/16 flatstock bolted to the original seat mounting holes. Cardboard templates make it easy to locate the bends and the hole locations. Set the seat on them, find your position, mark the holes through the seat (easiest with 2 people) and drill. Tack weld the nuts on the bottom of the flat stock to make mounting easy. One of the sub bolts is bolted directly to the floor with a big washer on the back side. The other is a G-force eye bolt with a detachable connector so you can install the seat, snake the belt through the seat hole and snap in the other side. I have a bunch of pictures on the old site but can't find them at the moment.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
I will get some pictures of my setup. I have kerkey that uses the stock front mounts and then we cut the bottom of the set out and modified the seat to then bolt flat onto the floor. It will make more sense with pictures
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
There is a vender that sells a sweet set up that bolts to the stock points, I will try and find it post it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707

There is a vender that sells a sweet set up that bolts to the stock points, I will try and find it post it.

http://www.good-win-...tml?id=5z9iSPNG

???

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I am 5'11", and I built a frame that bolted, to the stock mounting points. If you mount to the floor, I would not be concerned about being to low, the lower the better.

If you mount to the floor, you still should have room for the belts, but maybe someone can comment on how they did it.

jim Drago, a vender in the Classified sells a floor pan insert, that you can weld in the gives you extra room to install a larger seat.

Thanks! I guess everything will be more clear once I have the seats here. As for being low, I have no doubt that it helps but I feel like there will be a lot of other factors keeping me from winning for now so I might as well be able to see over the steering wheel until they are all fixed. LOL!

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I will be buying and installing a seat soon, too, in my '99 (and first) SM. I'll be watching this thread for any good advice posted. I do plan to use the Drago trans tunnel cut-out. I'm 6', 170 lb.

Thanks, guys.

I will be sure to post in here with what I end up doing. I hope there will be a lot of examples in here because throughout my research I didn't find much and everything I did find was one setup per thread. Good luck with your build!

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Just discovered the MultiQuote option B)

We tried mounting mine to the floor but the position wasn't good for me (6'). We then welded the humps back on and installed some 3" x 3/16 flatstock bolted to the original seat mounting holes. Cardboard templates make it easy to locate the bends and the hole locations. Set the seat on them, find your position, mark the holes through the seat (easiest with 2 people) and drill. Tack weld the nuts on the bottom of the flat stock to make mounting easy. One of the sub bolts is bolted directly to the floor with a big washer on the back side. The other is a G-force eye bolt with a detachable connector so you can install the seat, snake the belt through the seat hole and snap in the other side. I have a bunch of pictures on the old site but can't find them at the moment.

This was going to be my "go-to" plan if I couldn't find anything else out. I really don't think that mounting the seat to the floor will work for me. Anybody know why Sparco doesn't sell a seat base for this car? I am assuming it's due to the fact that their seats would probably require trans tunnel modification so it's not worth buying the base. I dunno.

I will get some pictures of my setup. I have kerkey that uses the stock front mounts and then we cut the bottom of the set out and modified the seat to then bolt flat onto the floor. It will make more sense with pictures

Looking forward to pictures!

Much appreciated. The guy I quoted below this linked to a nice looking one. If it's not that and you are able to find it please post it. Thanks!

http://www.good-win-...tml?id=5z9iSPNG

???

That just might be the ticket for me. It says it's predrilled for Sparco sliders and I have a set left over from my last car. Thanks for sharing.

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

I will be sure to post in here with what I end up doing. I hope there will be a lot of examples in here because throughout my research I didn't find much and everything I did find was one setup per thread. Good luck with your build!

I'm glad you started this post, as I'm sure it will help me. It already has (I think). I was browsing ebay tonight and got sucked into bidding on a Carbon Fiber Sparco Pro2000 seat*, which should work well with the Goodwin parts linked above.

I feel a little guilty saying "my build" because the car will be 95% done when I get it. Pretty much everything (cage, engine) will be done except for the seat, belts, gauges, fire system, stuff like that. I'm letting the seller finish the hard stuff, then I get to do the fun, easy stuff.

* http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Jason Brassfield

Jason Brassfield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1990
Maybe this is what Frank was looking at? Looks like a sweet setup.

http://5xracing.com/...seat-mount.html

I just recently bought a few pieces that weren't available locally from 5xracing and they were great to deal with.
- Jason

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I have not read the SCCA GCR before posting this, so I deserve whatever chastising you want to toss on me. :-).

I gather (from searching this forum) that if seat sliders are used, a back brace is required.

Also (if I understand correctly), A FIA seat, if solidly mounted (not on sliders), does not require a back brace, but only during the the window of time the FIA sticker is valid (5 years?). In other words, a FIA seat may not need a back brace initially, but will after a few years.

At this point, I'm leaning towards mounting my CF Sparco on sliders, with an adjustable back brace.

Are there challenges attaching a back brace to a carbon fiber seat?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Maybe this is what Frank was looking at? Looks like a sweet setup.

http://5xracing.com/...seat-mount.html

I just recently bought a few pieces that weren't available locally from 5xracing and they were great to deal with.

This was not it either but this is a nice set up if you have the room for it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
One thing that I encourage you to consider carefully is the bolting method through the floor.

When I first started racing I had a really bad accident at Mid Ohio, going into a concrete wall backwards and hitting the wall squarely with he trunk. The impact was so bad and G forces so severe, that my bodyweight moving backwards caused the floor pan to buckle at the mounting points and my head (encased in a top of the line Arai helmet) hit the roof and cracked the paint on the roof and compressed the closed cell poly foam in my helmet. I struggled with concussion that entire weekend, was completely off my game and my head ached for more than a week.

I have had forward impacts at faster speed, but the seat being tied by the belts to the roll bar never moved at all. Now we reinforce the floor under the seat to ensure it will not buckle under load

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

One thing that I encourage you to consider carefully is the bolting method through the floor.

When I first started racing I had a really bad accident at Mid Ohio, going into a concrete wall backwards and hitting the wall squarely with he trunk. The impact was so bad and G forces so severe, that my bodyweight moving backwards caused the floor pan to buckle at the mounting points and my head (encased in a top of the line Arai helmet) hit the roof and cracked the paint on the roof and compressed the closed cell poly foam in my helmet. I struggled with concussion that entire weekend, was completely off my game and my head ached for more than a week.

I have had forward impacts at faster speed, but the seat being tied by the belts to the roll bar never moved at all. Now we reinforce the floor under the seat to ensure it will not buckle under load

Good post Danboy... can you post some pics of how you do the floor for everyone to see? Been in two hard hits once forces into a wall at 115mph at mid ohio, I am not sure I am still back to 100 percent after that one, my hip still hurts me, You also made some very good talking points to me at ATL about your seat when I came and ask if it was alright to sit in your car and check out your new seat. I think you may have done more study on this than most of us. please clue all of us in, who knows with as competitve as we have all become it may save someone a major injury, I know I am more serious about my seating now after my 115mph crash.

K. Webb