Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Wow, SCCA is taking a vote. How cool is that :)

One of the things that was a little confusing however, was the question on Construction (shaved). Was that meant to be asking if I prefer a molded tire?

-Bruce

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I think that meant, do you like the "shaved" tire

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I think that meant, do you like the "shaved" tire

Jim:
I was a little dissapointed in that the survey didn't ask us to give an opinion as to our preference in the tire maker to be selected. I'm guessing a certain Indiana company would have gotten strong support.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
I was surprised the survey didn't ask about the preference of having the same wet and dry tire. That has always been a point of contention in the past. Asking if I like shaved is a bit backwards, becuase you can shave a molded tire. I don't prefer to shave my tires, but it is necessary to be competitive, i.e. least rotational mass.

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Also, I didn't like combining "fun tire" and "fast tire". Two totally different things.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Also, I didn't like combining "fun tire" and "fast tire". Two totally different things.

Here's a vote for sticking with the Toyo. It might be hard to find another tire that will provide as long a useful life and I think that's really important for this class. There are certainly better perorming tires out there, but I don't know if other companies make tires that will stay consistent for as many cycles. Anyone know of other good choices with similar characteristics?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

EPrill

EPrill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Kansas
  • Car Number:7
An update just arrived in the email clarifying the construction items.

Eric Prill

1990 Mazda Miata - F Production

MaxtonsFight.org/Jesse Prather Motorsports/Hoosier

Runoffs Podium: 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Runoffs Pole: 2008, 2012, 2017

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
I like the longevity of the Toyo. I also like how a wet tire transforms into a dry tire with enough use. I don't like the performance difference between a 4/32 and 1/32 shave. It means the guys with the dough to replace tires every weekend are faster. I voted for a moulded tire hoping that it will eliminate the performance advantage and cost disadvantage of a deep shave. Or is shaving a moulded tire like the Hoosier a common practice?

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I like the longevity of the Toyo. I also like how a wet tire transforms into a dry tire with enough use. I don't like the performance difference between a 4/32 and 1/32 shave. It means the guys with the dough to replace tires every weekend are faster. I voted for a moulded tire hoping that it will eliminate the performance advantage and cost disadvantage of a deep shave. Or is shaving a moulded tire like the BFG a common practice?

In general, you'll never be able to stop the effect of "the guys with dough". If its not super thin tires, then it will just be fresh rubber every race. Just a fact of racing. Just do the best you can with what you are able to spend.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
If we were to go with a molded tire, lets say like a Hoosier, would there still be an advantage to having the tire shaved, versus running it uncut?

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91

Jim:
I was a little dissapointed in that the survey didn't ask us to give an opinion as to our preference in the tire maker to be selected. I'm guessing a certain Indiana company would have gotten strong support.
Rick

Who makes the tire isn't important. Only what it does at what price/value.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The manufacturer and the support offered is very important. Not that Toyo is bad, they seem to do a good job but you need a company that support the class and can offer consistent quality and availability. Toyo seems to do that well and offer a contengency. Hoosier would do well also. Last seasons "Continental" tire used in Grand Am was build by Hoosier and badged. (and they are on sale a blow out prices at Hoosier right now)

I've always been for more or less open tires (to a point) but much of the racing I've done have been on controlled/spec tire rules. James is right, you'll never stop the guy with the cash. He'll find something to spend it on. One way some of the circle track series control the tires in not only model but in quantity as well. There are some downsides to that as well. The tires are purchased from the track or specified vendor at the track and it takes some of the others out of the picture. The tires are branded for your car only so the new and/or guys with little dough can't use take offs from other teams.

I'd perfer to use a DOT racing radial that doesn't need to be shaved. The quality of the shave is a big variable in and of itself.

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas
I wonder if those that like the "longevity" of the current Toyo have really ever used the Hoosier? My experience has been that the Hoosiers actually last longer. And when I say "last" I mean retain performance. Yeah, yeah everyone has their story about how they ran their best times on corded, 20 cycle Toyos. But the realtiy is that the guys in the front don't use 20, much less 10 cycle tires so if we have a tire that is going to give a high level of performance over a longer period of time then it's going to save everyone some money and make the class more competitive. Our friend Mac Spikes used to love to make this argument.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

juliancates

juliancates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:NASA MA/SE
  • Car Number:73
In GTS we had open tire rules, and what we found was that if you wanted to be competitive in class on any given weekend, then you had better bring a fresh set of Hoosiers. Even if not everybody was on stickers, somebody was going to be, and you were going to be giving up time to them if you weren't also on stickers. The R6's dropped off dramatically after about 8-10 heat cycles, and were the fastest on their first cycle.

I got tired of spending all my racing budget on tires, so I came over to SM where I can spend it on fenders. Posted Image The spec tire wasn't the entire reason for coming over, but it was factored in for sure.
Posted Image
2010 NASA Midwest GTS2 Runner-Up
2011 The SM Saga Begins

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Got the new survey this morning. One of the points that the original survey missed was the fact that with a shaved tire companies like Appalachian Tire can't keep an inventory of tires ready to race. They have to shave them based on individual orders. The manager told me they have guys order everything from 1/32 to 6/32. That means unless you order your tire in advance they won't have any for you at the track. If we used a molded tire they could just load up the truck and bring them to the track. I also find it funny that SCCA thinks Toyo provides trackside support. Appalachian's guys all wear purple shirts for a reason. They are a Hoosier dealer. The only tire engineers that I have seen at a race in our region were the Hoosier factory engineers at Daytona for our enduro and regionals.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
Julian:

I saw the writing on the wall when guys started bringing a sticker set of A6's to qualify on and a sticker set of R6s to race on. That's $2k in tires every weekend. Add in the wets and you've got $3k in tires in the trailer.

My experience with Hoosiers was the same. First two cycles were the ultimate grip. After one weekend they were 1 sec slower than a sticker set. After 2 weekends, 2-3 secs slower. Plenty of rubber, but junk after two weekends.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas
Kyle- were you using the Hoosier spec miata tire which had been properly heat cycled according to their recs? My experience with both the R6 and the SM tire was that they lasted considerably longer if heat cycled as suggested by Hoosier.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
A molded tire will not stop folks from shaving. Rubber weighs a lot and rotational mass (x4 tires) is a speed killer!

-bw

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
No, my experience was on properly cared-for R6's on an E36 M3. I used to run Toyos on that same car and had the same experience I have had with them on the Miata, so I assume the Hoohoo experience translates as well.

I raced GTS with Julian and lots of other guys on the R6 and everyone would tell you the same thing.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Julian:

I saw the writing on the wall when guys started bringing a sticker set of A6's to qualify on and a sticker set of R6s to race on. That's $2k in tires every weekend. Add in the wets and you've got $3k in tires in the trailer.

My experience with Hoosiers was the same. First two cycles were the ultimate grip. After one weekend they were 1 sec slower than a sticker set. After 2 weekends, 2-3 secs slower. Plenty of rubber, but junk after two weekends.

This is similar to what I've heard from some Touring and Showroom Stock guys. Spec Racer Ford now runs on Goodyear RS. Anyone have an opinion on those?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users