FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Another point for a molded tire vs. shaved tire, in addition to the added cost to shave a tire, is that I have had some shaved tires come out of the hopper out of round, You could see it in the tread pattern too. It took a bunch of tire wts to get it right. I guess that could be from the original tire, but I notice that the Full tread tires I have had took less wt to balance them than the shaved. could just be me.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas
Anyone have any experience with the BFGoodrich R1 as a molded tire option?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Anyone have any experience with the BFGoodrich R1 as a molded tire option?

Didn't SRF use that tire for 1 season? If so, there must have been a reason they went another way so quickly.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88

Didn't SRF use that tire for 1 season? If so, there must have been a reason they went another way so quickly.

$$$
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
I've burned through a few dozen sets of RA1's, and a few sets of SM6 Hoosiers. Here's my take .... On average the SM6 has superior grip and equal longevity to the RA1. The absence of shaving and the lower weight of the Hoosier is a winner IMHO. I would love to see the following come out of the next evaluation:
1)Select a molded tire
2)Pay a contingency at the regional level!
3)One tire at the regional and national level
4)NASA and SCCA select the same tire
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88

2)Pay a contingency at the regional level!

+1
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

$$$

Not sure what you mean by that but according to SRF drivers the tires were junk. They flatspotted very easily. One spin or brake lockup and all 4 tires were done. Lots of unhappy campers, so they ditched them after about a year.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
I have trouble believing that BFG will be in the serious running. It will more likely be; Kuhmo, Hankook, Toyo and Hoosier. Which one is chosen isn't (for me) so big an issue.

We just need; a molded race tire, contingency at the regional level (because they buy 75% of the damn tires), one tire for reg/nat, and oh yea, an open rain tire!
Rick

Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
I can't see NASA going away from its close/long-time partner, Toyo, on a spec tire for its largest class.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

We just need; a molded race tire, contingency at the regional level (because they buy 75% of the damn tires), one tire for reg/nat, and oh yea, an open rain tire!
Rick

You're crazy. I think Drago buys 75% of the tires himself.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

You're crazy. I think Drago buys 75% of the tires himself.

Tom:
Upon reflection, you may be right on both counts. I don't know how many Drago buys, but lemme see ... I race a Miata, so check, yep crazy. :)
Rick