TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
Just finished plowing the drive way for the 10th time so far this season.

Enough is enough!

Thinking of packing the RV and heading South. Never been to the Daytona track. Are there some infield RV sites that are better than others? Is there a "party" area? I'm more interested in the FOP area. Any good spots to watch the action from? Any info welcome.

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70
If you've never been to a GrandAm event, this is a fun one. Getting your RV parked next to the infield track is obviously best, but might be hard to get now. All of the infield parking is fine and you'll want to rotate around to the different viewing areas anyway. There are grandstands all around, some food stands, a vendor/collectors area and carnival stuff. The cold pits are very accessible too. You will rub shoulders with some big name drivers for sure.

Its probably not like the infield at Talladega, for instance, but everyone is having a good time. Keep in mind that all of the viewing is in the infield, so the locals will be orbiting around your RV if you have a good viewing spot.
  • Glenn likes this
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Swing by the Freedom Paddock and say Howdy......

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:37
The infield partying is tame by 12 Hours of Sebring standards but it's still a good time. You can walk alongside the track on the infield from midway around Turn 4 all the way to the approach to turn 7 for close ups. A lot of RVs park in the section between 6,7 and the Banking but that probably was reserved long ago.

If it's your first time there, you really should also spend some time on the outside of the track too. Nighttime by the fence anywhere near the tri-oval is pretty cool. The scooter patrol will warn you off the fence regularly though if you're taking photos unless you're outside of Turn 8.

It is a LONG walk from the infield through the tunnel to get there but...
From high enough in the grandstands across from Turn 1 (road course) you can see 99% of the track (all but the middle of Bus Stop). That's a good vantage point for some parts of the race if you want to see who is really pushing it. It's open seating and never too crowded to find a spot to spread out some. They do have cooler-size restrictions out there, which always surprises me given the attendance relative to seat count.

Have a great time. It's a shame that Sorrento's closed up shop or I would have recommended you stop in advance to pick up great subs for that midnight snack. One last note, it almost always seems to get colder than expected for FL during the early morning.
  • Anthony Ralston likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:77
There is a set of bleachers around turn 6. If you stand at the very top you can see pretty much everything but the Bus Stop. it's my favorite place to watch.

It was always fun watching the RX-8s spit out fire as they downshifted through the gears.

GFUSNER

GFUSNER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a reserved RV spot on Lake Lloyd opposite the bus stop with 2 4 day tickets and a car pass. Due to business issues I may not go. Send me a PM and I will give more details. George

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
Thanks guys. Appreciate the response. Plans changed when I found out the facility isn't pet friendly. Probably will just shoor in for a few hours for the start or finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users