Photo

PBIR Double National - Chip is Baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
I will write a full race report later, but just wanted to say a quick word about Chip Van Vurst not only finishing 2nd in Race 1 yesterday, but today Chip ran a blisteringly fast lap to take the pole with a 1.32.8 (well under the lap record) and then ran a mistake free race to take his first National win of the season. Pretty stellar performance for someone who has had to endure what he has been through the last 2 years. Congrats Chip - really impressive!
  • Chris Fulton, JBlaisdell and chris haldeman like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
Congrats, Really glad to hear this!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Congrats Chip! Truly amazing! I knew you were back last week, but this puts a stamp on it! Don't know much else other than Danny won yesterday, congrats to all, anxiously awaiting race write up
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Matthew VanVurst

Matthew VanVurst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:08
What a great two weeks racing with my brother again! There was a time not to long ago that I thought this would not be possible.I am blessed to have my best friend,racing coach and big brother back at the track.I think he led a lap in all four nationals this year with a 4th,5th,2nd and a win.There is only one goal this year and thats a national championship with BSI Racing,
  • Chris Fulton, Armando Ramirez and Kevin B like this
If you ain't first your last!

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Congratulations! Way to go you guys.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Any write ups? videos?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Car Number:57
I don't normally post videos but I'll try and figure out the traqmate sync so that I can post Sunday's race, it's a good one! Great battles with Carbonnell, Steyn, and Van Vurst... I had to decide between just following Chip and finishing second or trying for the win and risking Steyn catching up as a consequence. I hindsight I will say that if you ever go with "just finishing second" you should just quit and go play ball sports ;) I went for it and ended up BARELY eeking out second.
  • David Johnson likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Some of you have asked for race reports - this is for you.

PBIR RACE REPORT

Posted Image

I really didn’t want to race at PBIR. It’s a Mickey Mouse track in my opinion, it eats tires, it requires extreme patience and there is zero spectator view. NOTHING. Not my favorite place, but Chip coerced me and I signed up.

Saturday Race 1

In Q3 I got lucky and ran a decent lap that held up for pole. Grid for Race 1 was Steyn, Rollan, Chip, Carbonnel, Leverone, Charbonneau, Bolanos, Tucker.

In Saturday’s Race 1 at the start Chip cleared us into T1 but Selin made the dive under both of us into T4, Chip got by Selin into T6, and Selin and I got back under Chip going into T10. Four lead changes on the first lap. OF course this meant that we were all bunched up with Andrew Carbonnel, and Andrew Charbonneau in close contention. Chip pushed me back up to Selins bumper.

On Lap 3 Cahrbonneau, Tucker and Labounty got passed Carbonnel, with Nick Leverone on Carbonnels bumper. For the next few laps the order remained the same, Selin, Steyn, Chip, Charbonneau.

With the help of a puch by Chip, I took the lead from Selin and I could tell Chip was on a mission. Chip passed Selin too and Charbonneau was wearing out Selin’s bumper. The draft on the back straight is so important at PBIR, and if you are the lead car and you don’t have a team mate, you are a sitting duck. My strategy was to gain as much time in the infield as possible to gain a buffer going onto the back straight.

Every lap the guys behind would close on me and first four cars would cross the start line bumper to bumper every lap.

Chip was getting a great run out of T8 onto the back straight and often would be on my bumper and push me, but on lap 12 Chip made the move past me into T10 and Andrew past me into T1 and we ran two wide through T2, T3 and T4. Selin got us both in T4 and I managed to clear Charbonneau in the Carousel T5. The order was not Chip, Selin, me Andrew and Bolanos was some distance behind us with Leverone on his tail.

Selin made another dive in T4, forcing Chip wide allowing me back to 2nd place. No matter how much the leader gapped the group everyone would be back together going to the start finish line. Around lap 14 Chip pushed me past Selin in Selins favorite corner T4. Charbonneau was now glued to Selin’s bumper in 3rd place. We had already had 6 or 7 lead changes. The next lap Charbonneau cleared Selin going into T and started chasing me down.

Andrew as closing the gap when the track went FCY for a car in the tire wall in the Carousel. The pace car came out and picked up the wrong guys, and it took them another lap to get the cars past and for us to form up behind the pace car.

BSI crew Chief Rob came over the radio and said they were going to have one lap - a green white checker. Clearing the pack onto the back straight was the goal. I timed the start well and opened up a gap. Andrew had his mirrors full of Chip and Selin and that allowed me to open the gap and have some breathing room onto the back straight. Andrew had a severe push entering the back straight and that allowed Chip to pass him there. Selin tried the outside line past Andrew into T10, giving him the inside line in T11 and it stuck giving the top three spots to cars under the BSI tent!

Really thrilled for Mike Rossini. It’s been two almost two years since Chip and I have had Rossini engines on the top 2 steps of the podium. Congrats Mike. Your engines are stellar and everyone has noticed.

Congrats to Andrew Charbonneau who set a new lap record of 1:34.006.

Sunday Race 2

Posted Image

In Q4, Chip van Vurst had an awesome lap going and picked up the perfect draft to run a 1:32.8, well under the track record. Grid for Race 2 was Chip, Steyn, Bolanos, Rolan, Leverone, Carbonnel.

On the first lap Selin got a great shove down the back straight and passed me. Alex and I went side by side through T1 and T2 and that allowed Carbonnel to get under him. Carbonnel and Bolanos diced it out and allowed Chip, Rolan and I to open a sizeable lead. But Alex was on a charge and was chasing us down. Bolanos first got past me, and then started dicing with Selin. This held us all up, Chip gapped us all and Carbonnel and Leverone closed onto my bumper, running in 5th and 6th. Alex got past Selin a lap later and I could see Selin was having problems staying with them, and two laps later I took the opportunity to pass Selin.

For the next 5 laps Chip held a 1 second gap to Alex, and I was about 2 seconds behind Alex out of the draft and Selin a couple of seconds behind me with Andrew Carbonnel in 5th and Nick Leverone in 6th.

Then Alex started to gain on Chip and was all over Chip’s bumper. As we came up on lapped traffic there were ZERO blue fags waived, so Alex and Chip got the worst of it, often having to slow for lapped traffic. On lap 16, Alex made the move on Chip in T4 and pulled ahead. The next lap Chip went for the outside pass at the end of the straight in T10 but couldn’t make it stick. But he made the pass in T1. All this two wide racing had allowed me to catch up to their bumpers and get back in the draft.

I was having a terrible time with my tires that had called it quits and I just could not get it to stick coming out of T8 onto the back straight. But I was able to pressure Alex and he had to start driving in his rear view mirrors as well as looking at Chip ahead.

Traffic really became an issue in the last few laps. Chip was able to gap Alex and I was all over Alex’s bumper. On the 2nd last lap I got a great run out onto the back straight, passed Alex on the outside and we went through Turn 10, T11, T1, T2 and T3 side by side (5 turns!!!). Alex had a bit of a push in T2 and bumped my passenger door giving me a sideways scare but I held it and I Alex gave it up going into T4.

Chip was long gone. Exiting onto the back straight for the last time I hugged the right side, and it was Alex’s time to try the outside pass. We went through T10 and 11 side by side again, and like a prize idiot I missed the shift to 4th (DOH!) and Alex beat me by 4/100ths. All this side by side racing allowed Nick and Selin to close up the gap at the end. Charbonneau finished 7th

NOW here's the KICKER - The Top 7 drivers all ran times within 3/10ths of a second!!!!

All props to Chip for a phenomenal weekend. His qualifying lap as well as his race was picture perfect.

Congrats to Alex for the track record. And Alex, I had a blast running two wide with you - so much fun!

Also watch out for Selin Rolan. This kid has the skills. When his race craft and strategy start coming together he is going to be difficult to beat.

Had a good time working with Alex Acosta on data this weekend. Really impressive to see a driver make a 7 second improvement over the course of a weekend. Also great to have Indy lights driver Victor Carbone under the BSI tent.

I ran PBIR with Stu at BSI this weekend as Tom Fowler had to undergo appendix surgery this week. Tom is on the mend and will be at the track real soon. Thanks to Stu, Dina, Rob and the team at BSI for taking such good care of me and my car. BSI had bog group of drivers under the tent that included Chip van V, myself, Selin Rolan, Andrew Carbonnel, Matt van Vurst, Victor Carbone, Alex Acosta, Thomas Ellis and Brad Klein.

And finally - much appreciation to Mike Rossini. Mike, you are the man. Your engines are really stellar. Chip and I shared the poles and the wins, and went one-two in Race 1, and one-three in Race 2. Thanks Mike!
  • JBlaisdell likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Danny, thanks for the ride.

Tom, heal quickly.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56
Little man crush Danny? :)

Sounds like a heck of a race! Good Job everyone....
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Car Number:57

Little man crush Danny? :)

Sounds like a heck of a race! Good Job everyone....

Danny's got a thing for blonde hair and blue eyes... haven't you ever browsed the photos on his website?? :spin:
  • Jim Drago likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I was thinking Danny went a little sweet on the Chipster too :) I am taking the opposite attitude with Chip, I am dismissing this kinder and gentler Chip as I think his master plan is to sneak up on us and kick our asses while we aren't ready for him :) You are outed big man! No more peace, love and sympathy from me. :nonono: :spin: :noidea: :sorry:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
WOW - so people actually read these reports!!!!

Yes, I will be the first to admit that I have developed a really BIG man crush, but its not on Chip!!! Its on my man Mike Rossini, who built the engines for Chip and I to grab the wins this weekend and last.

And yes, as a cancer survivor myself, I take my hat off to Chip for what he did, and how he handled it. No one, especially me would have ever predicted that Chip would be back, and if he came back, well not at this level.

And finally I will admit that I was totally sweet on Chip this weekend. That gorgeous hair of his and the fact that he damn well pushed me to the win on Saturday! But after the humiliation I suffered at his hands on Sunday, well F him. Where was he when I needed him. Hes on his own!!!!!
  • Jim Drago likes this

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users