TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66

After a lot of work on my car over the winter I need to get some track time before the first race,   A company called Hooked on

Driving has an event that works with my schedule.   I've never run with them before.  Does anybody have any feedback on them?

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:1999

I do.  I think you'll love it.  The guy who started it, David Ray, has been racing a long time, and he just wanted to set up a "track day" for racers and non racers, to just thave fun. Not sure who is running that region, but they would not be approved by David if he/she/them were not more than capable.   Make sure you are in the fast group (probably D or group 4), and meet everyone in it.  Most should have some race experience, and should be open passing (as long as there are no stupid mistakes).   It's pretty cheap to get a lot of track time, and my guess is pretty wide open.  They actually limit the number of cars, so it should be great for testing.  Full disclosure, I am going to use the March 16 Thunderhill HOD event to test/feel out the new tire for us, the Hoosier SM6.  Good luck, and please let me know if it does not live up to my description so I don't write it again!

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

I've been coaching with HOD NorCal for a couple years now. I can echo all of what Bad Rusty wrote. Don't know who is actually running it in your region but rest assured it's going to be a great day at the track! David Ray (Owner of Hooked-On-Driving) is a long time racer here in the region and is making sure that his brand is superbly represented around the US... PM him directly to share your experience after you've been, he's always looking for feedback...

Events are very well run. Safety and Fun is in everyone's mind. The D "Open passing/race prep" group is usually at a good pace. Cooperative Open passing is the rule, more often than not, point-by's are given. Laid back and friendly atmosphere. Good crowd.

Also a plus (at least here in NorCal) in the "street car groups": Ferrari, Aston Martin, McLaren, GT3RS, etc,... Always a pleasure to see those cars out having fun...

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:36

This is my second year of coaching for HOD here in the Southern States area operated by Dave Auer.  I have yet to have a driver that did not come through a day in the program with a big smile and nothing put positives to say about the program.  Its a well developed program from both the educational and on track sides of the program.  Lot's of emphasis on safety with a quality group of participants and coaches.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Yep.  HOD is awesome.  Have run with them many times.  Probably best instructors out of all of the local HPDE organizations.  Very well run events.  Awesome cars.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

After a lot of work on my car over the winter I need to get some track time before the first race,   A company called Hooked on

Driving has an event that works with my schedule.   I've never run with them before.  Does anybody have any feedback on them?

They run good events in this area.  Get yourself in the advanced group and it'll work better for you.  Sometimes track day organizers are a little hesitant to do that when you drive an underpowered car but it's worth the necessary persistence if you can avoid the beginner traffic.    

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

My son was on track 2 weeks after his 16th birthday with HOD...ran 5 weekends in a C6(friend and HOD coach car). After successfully keeping that car on track but beginning to scare the crap out of everyone(except himself)we bought a Miata...the rest is history!

In Northern CA where David Ray started this, short maybe of private type club days, you can't find an all around better track provider. But having run with a few different HPDE groups, this is definitely your wine and cheese group. And that isn't a knock...just the way things are done cost more. Free coaches for anyone(mandatory until you are signed off), 25 cars max per group, mandatory downloads and discussions, lunch! So for sure the higher costs and a greater concern for safety than most, brings out a more "mature" crowd with there very nice toys as was eluded to above!

The group 4 or "race" group is usually a mixture of racers with prepped cars and very good/fast drivers in their track prepped street cars. So just be prepared to get black flagged if you go 4 off and sometimes even 2!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66

thanks guys.  Sounds like a good outfit.  They've got an early event at Pocono and I'd like to try the track after the new paving. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users