pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Poor Pat, He doesnt know when people are telling the truth :) I would buy a set of the nology wires yourself and see what you get :banana:

I already have and I like them. Not your smoke and mirror answer. :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Reviving this thread. From the looks of it people are saying that plug wires don't matter too much? But new spark plugs are better than old ones? How often do top prep cars replace their plugs?

I have ordered some NGK Iridium plugs, colder than stock to compensate for advanced ignition timing. Any recommendations on plug wires would be appreciated!

• Andy L likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Most quality plug wires are fine new, but they don't all age the same. We had problems with the Taylors and switched to Magnacore. Their website probably still has an explanation about what matters. I found it blunt and honest in that they make the point that anything more than good enough is not better, it's just hype. Theirs seem to stay good enough longer than some.

One thing you might ask people about is how well they stay on the coil. More than a few races have been spoiled by one popping off. In that respect the Mags are not the best but zip ties can help.

Our testing years ago suggested much the same with plugs. Cheap Bosch Platinums with at least five events on them were indistinguishable from brand new NGK Iridiums. Is there a better choice to make a bit more power? Possibly, there are certainly worse. We were testing several options back then and inadvertently installed a set with the wrong reach and not intended for the engine. It lost something like 6hp.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

twice a season is plenty for plug changes....  There is NO power to be had sitting out there in plugs. Plug wires either ---EXCEPT trying to keep them on with a 99-00.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Thanks everyone

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I replace every weekend. New cheap plugs.

Is this just one of those "cheap insurance" things or do you have reason to think your plugs are degrading in some way?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac
I call dibs on Jamz used plugs.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Is this just one of those "cheap insurance" things or do you have reason to think your plugs are degrading in some way?

Its probably mandated by the CA state emissions board, or something.

• Steve Scheifler likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

A friend of mine with Asperger's, who raced, always liked to torque his lug nuts before he went home/back to the hotel.

He wouldn't take his tires off and always torqued them before he went out.

Just saying.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users