Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Does anyone know how dramatically you have to adjust the rear to get it to match the front?

My 1.8 handles weird.  With the front and rear full soft (no spacers up front), I had oversteer.  I've added spacers and set both sides of the front bar to stiff.  How stiff does the rear need to be match the front?  Does fully stiff rear match a fully stiff front?  Does the front set with one stiff one soft match a rear with both stiff?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I usually run mine soft.  Occasionally, I have run in the middle location at Laguna which helps me in some corners.

How are your shocks?  any chance they are blown and you are hitting the bump stops?

Getting oversteer where?  mid-corner, corner exit?  Same behavior on both L and R turns?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I usually run mine soft.  Occasionally, I have run in the middle location at Laguna which helps me in some corners.

How are your shocks?  any chance they are blown and you are hitting the bump stops?

Getting oversteer where?  mid-corner, corner exit?  Same behavior on both L and R turns?

Shocks just came back from the dyno, they are good.  Oversteer in all parts of the corner and pretty much all "normal" corners, same left and right.  No bumpstop issues.  The ride was rough and the corner grip was poor, so I raised the car and that fixed it right up.  Still have the oversteer though.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Rob

You didnt have these issues before rebuilding shocks? I have had this problem every time I tried someone elses shocks other than out of the box Mazda

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56

Rob

You didnt have these issues before rebuilding shocks? I have had this problem every time I tried someone elses shocks other than out of the box Mazda

+1 straight from mazda...

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Rob

Hmmm....  Good point.  I remember having a similar issue when I had Tri Point / Pro Parts rebuild and revalve my Konis on my RX7 track car.  The revalve changed how the shocks responded when putting power down making the car more subject to oversteer.  I think they had cranked up the rebound a wee bit too much.  I wound up using softer rear springs (400 to 350 #) to compensate.  The revalved Konis helped handling and response in every other way beyond that on that car.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

When you raised it up, did you adjust the toe to match the settings at both ride heights or did you just raise it?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Rob

The shocks were not rebuilt recently. Just dyno'd.

I fixed toe up front, left it in the back, but I had oversteer on a smoother track too at the lower height.

Is nobody willing to share the difference between adjusting up front and in the back?  Is half a hole up front equal to 2 holes on the rear sway?

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
No idea on your question. But i do remember driving.a 97 with adjusable front bar. Car was undrivable for me untill we decided to make front bar full stiff and rear bar was full soft... car had oversteer everwhere i.went from almost 2 seconds off the pace to outside pole instantly after that change. The car was still a little twitchy but it was a rocket.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

The shocks were not rebuilt recently. Just dyno'd.

I fixed toe up front, left it in the back, but I had oversteer on a smoother track too at the lower height.

Is nobody willing to share the difference between adjusting up front and in the back?  Is half a hole up front equal to 2 holes on the rear sway?

From my experience which may vary from others.  I never liked the smaller front bar on full soft. I wouldn't necessarily say that I prefer the smaller front bar either (at least at some tracks).  Swapping the front bar and making no other changes to the car made the car oversteer more  than desired so I countered that with more negative camber in the rear and/or running the rear bar not on full stiff.  There are a lot of other variables at work here (ride height, tires, the track surface and driver preference).  It's probably going to take a test day to find happiness.  

• Keith Novak likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I hate the f*cking small front bar.  Still pissed about being forced off of the old one for miller.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Can't believe nobody can say if the rear bar is the front bar's bitch or not.

Thinking out loud here.... the front bar is much thicker.  A leverage change of half an inch is going to have a larger impact on the front bar than the rear since the front bar is thicker, right?

Adding spacers to get the front links more vertical should increase the effect of the front bar I think since the bar will get twisted a little bit further for a given deflection of the lower control arm.

My guess is that the front bar is "coarse" adjustment and the rear bar is "fine" adjustment.  I'm thinking with mildish oversteer with front soft rear soft, I should probably try front mixed and rear stiff,  That or leave it soft-soft all around and hope that standing up the end links fixes it.

It's off enough that I don't want to point the nose of the car up if I can help it.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Rob

Does that include sending them to Bilstein for freshening?

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Rob, not sure what you are getting at, I have driven 94-97, 99-00, 01-05. Only car I have not driven is a 1.6...

In year one i would mess withmy rear bar a little, but thats before I had a clue about how to properly setup on of these cars.  Now that I have a firm grasp of setup my rear bar stays full soft all the time.

I would sugest you go to full stiff on the front fo this car, and full soft on the rear, then figure out what setup it takes for the car work properly, stiffening the rear bar is a move to give up grip at the rear, there are other ways to give up grip at the rear, through camber and height adjustments.  Once you get that figured out I dont think you will  look back on the front bar change with such contempt.

That change is the same as rules changing tires from toyo to Hoosier, I had to make some changes with my driving as well as a few setup changes. I am just as fast now if not faster but i didnt just wave my majic wand...

Go back to Sagers post, Cant say he is agreeing with me fully but He says he hated the front bar on full soft. And then he corrected oversteer with more camber on the rear, not jacking with the rear bar settings.  I do believe if you just put front bar on full stiff and rear on full soft, work through some setup changes you will be right back where you were...

K. Webb