Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

OK, so I have never run a Roval like MIS (I have run the Milwaukee Mile, but that is almost flat). I know Hoosier recomends no more than 2 deg. camber, but does anyone have a recomended baseline setup for a "high banked" roval like MIS (i.e. Daytona or something like that)? Also, what kind of changes in tire pressures are recomended due to the sustained time on the oval? Other than using Hoosier's recomendation I am a little lost.

Dave

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

OK, so I have never run a Roval like MIS (I have run the Milwaukee Mile, but that is almost flat). I know Hoosier recomends no more than 2 deg. camber, but does anyone have a recomended baseline setup for a "high banked" roval like MIS (i.e. Daytona or something like that)? Also, what kind of changes in tire pressures are recomended due to the sustained time on the oval? Other than using Hoosier's recomendation I am a little lost.

Dave

Hoosier recommends no more that 2 deg. of camber?  Wow.  Haven't heard that.  I run 2.8 to 3.0 up front and 2.2 to 2.6 on the rear.  If you run Hoosiers at under 2.0, seems like the outside of the tire would wear super quickly?  When I race a Honda Civic, I couldn't get more than 2.2 on the car when I bought it.  I raced on a really flat track.  My tire temps across the tire were pretty good for the flat track (inside and middle about same temp and outside a little cooler).  My first time at Mid-Ohio, my outside temps were really high.  I then bought a better camber adjustment set up for the Honda and ran 2.5 or 2.6 to get my temps back in order.  Mid-Ohio seems to like a lot of camber.  Is it the banking/elevation changes?

Back to the Miata for Michigan. I have driven MIS on four occasions in Skip Barber open wheel cars (no wings, 4 cylinder, street tires).  The infield is really flat at MIS.  I think most of the stress on the tire will happen in the infield section.  The oval section is so big, six lanes wide, that I think any setup will work on that section.  We just won't be able to carry enough speed in NASCAR 3 & 4 to get anywhere near the maximum grip of a Miata on Hoosiers.  Turn 1 comes off of the banking, across pit road, but is flat from there.  I would set up more for a flat surface than I would worry about the banking.  Not sure you can even slide the tires in the banking section?  

Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

I agree. I thought the 2 degree max seems like it would cause us to give up too much in the infield, but the concern from Hoosier is the amount of heat generated by being on the banking. Since I have no exeperience with anything more than 8 degrees (Milwaukee) I don't really have a good data point to go off of.

The Hoosier recomendation was also to expect 4psi higher air pressures on the loaded side. I would not be suprised to see higher pressures, but the camber seems a bit extreme.

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

On the banking, you will literally be matted to the floor, driving with one hand, relaxing.  I plan to be updating my Facebook and eating a sandwich through that section each lap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users