FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

No I am not talking about how you wake up on Sunday morning!

I am in the market for a pop up tent system to be used in the paddock and wondering if anyone has tried the 10/20 aluminum set up vs Steel something like this

http://www.hutshop.com/mlf20.html

I want something that is strong. I am trying to figure out if Aluminum is stronger than steel. i know that it would be lighter but if durability  is the main factor wonder if I am better off with Steel. going to buy two so the Caveman and i can be dry while we do all that tire changing and adjusting.

Bro.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I got my Ez-Up at Walmart, works great. They have 10x20's

http://www.walmart.c...ch_constraint=0

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Had one 10 x 20 pop up canopy alum which was a pain in the butt for one person. Have since bought two 10 x 10 which one person can pop and un pop.  In my travels at tracks I've seen both alum and steel bend like pretzles. Alum is the only thing for me.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

For a given size, aluminum is about half the strength of steel, and half the weight.  So basically if you don't need strength you can save weight with aluminum.  And if strength is to be maintained, you can save size with steel.  If you want aluminum to be as strong as steel, you need almost twice as much of it (by volume), and the weight is about the same as the steel piece.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

For a given size, aluminum is about half the strength of steel, and half the weight.  So basically if you don't need strength you can save weight with aluminum.  And if strength is to be maintained, you can save size with steel.  If you want aluminum to be as strong as steel, you need almost twice as much of it (by volume), and the weight is about the same as the steel piece.

Thanks Jim that is what i was trying to figure out. The aluminum is more expensive but i was assuming that you were paying for the wt savings more that durability, I would rather have something that is going to take a little more of a beating, since most of the time its raining with a 25 mph wind. looks like Steel is going to be the ticket.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Had one 10 x 20 pop up canopy alum which was a pain in the butt for one person. Have since bought two 10 x 10 which one person can pop and un pop.  In my travels at tracks I've seen both alum and steel bend like pretzles. Alum is the only thing for me.

+1

10x20 is too much surface area for the amount of support.  The long unsupported span and ladder work collapses too easily in either wind or rain.  Ive seen it happen a few times while the 10x10s hold up strong.  Dad and I were at Barbor a couple of years ago where there was a number of 10x20s.  Overnight there was a rainstorm that came through and ALL of the 10x20s had collapsed under the weight of the water that pooled in the creases.  Meanwile, I didn't see any 10x10 (or 10x12s) that had failed.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51

A 10 x 10 Ez-up is good, a 12 x 12 is better and two of either and you're living large.

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

Got a 13x13 a few years ago thru the Hutshop, Aluminum and still hanging tough. The extra 3 feet is nice.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

After having several 10x10s turn inside out in wind storms, i went with a Costco 10x20.  I love it except the bag is a bit small.  It's possible but a hassle to set up yourself.  I've never had much trouble getting someone to chip in for 2 minutes.  It has middle supports like putting two 10x10s together without a leak spot in the middle.  It's actually very strong.  It's had one leg bent back 30* due to a quad left in neutral that rolled into it which didn't bother it a bit.  It withstood a violent wind storm where I had to hold the frame and brace myself with my foot on the car door to keep it from taking flight.  Many other canopies found their end in a trash can that day.  I have a small bend in one leg that hasn't hurt it's operation. It does make a big enoough sail that you need some sturdy weights to tie it down though.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How about a pull out Awning on the side of your trailer?

I know tents can go anywhere, but just a thought.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

J~

Now you're talkin.  Strong and half of the support is already done when you pull into the paddock.   My experience with EZ-Up is that they are crapola in any size but you get what you pay for.  The 10 x 10 EZ-Up is sturdier but kinda like trying to wrap yourself with a dish towel when you get out of the shower.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

J~

I have a awning on my trailer but its not big enough to do much other than keep the rain out of the windows.

I went ahead and bought two 10X20 steel pop ups. I went with a less expensive "shelter Logic" pop up, with the expectations that they do  sell replacement parts for the awnings and if the big blow takes them it will only cost me half as much to replace them. Its not a perfect world but I am just trying to keep up with, the OPM, Eaststreet and Advanced auto sports AWNING WARS.

In my own low budget way.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7

When it does collapse and turn to junk, keep the remains for spares for the next one rather than leaving it in a trash can at the track.

• tony senese likes this

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

At less than half the price of the EZ-Up or Caravan, the Costco 10x20 is a really good value.  I've had mine for a couple years and it's survived some pretty heavy weather.  You can have any color you want as long as it's white.

• Keith Novak and FTodaro like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Now, Tom F. has a big ol awning on the side of his stacker, BUT, ya all should have seen Drago's canopy/awning on the side of his trailer at the Sprints, WOW.  If yer getting into gamesmanship, as they say, go big or go home. :clap:

Crap, I forgot about Wheelers semi trailer canopy/awning!!!

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I thought we were getting into the "Hospitality Suite" size.

Plastic walls or cute white fence, white tables and chairs?

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Frankie just usauly gets really  WET when we snuggle at eht race track, he is thiniing with a couple big tents maybe he wont get so WET anymore :)

K. Webb