Photo

Team Racing - The future of Spec Miata????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Hi all - this is a subject for open discussion that is sure to get everyone all worked up. I do not have any agenda with this, as I am very happy with the status quo, but there was a lot of chatter this past weekend. And this is not something that will be thrashed out prior to the runoffs, as I suspect that this debate will continue well into the off season.

In Spec Miata we have all seen team racing played out well by many teams. In the early days, the Pombo’s were the kings, qualifying and racing at Road Atlanta with a sheet of paper between their bumpers.

In recent years have seen the East Street team of Jim, Craig and Pat doing an amazing job of qualifying and racing at Road America. I even tried it with Tom Fowler there a few years back although we really sucked at it.  And lest anyone think this is an easy task, those that do it well make it look easy, but it takes at least two highly talented drivers to pull it off.

And this past weekend we saw the utter dominance of the SAC team of Matt and Elivan at the Glen in Race 1. They showed it at another level. Two highly skilled teammates totally committed to each other every straight of every lap to the end of the race are pretty tough to beat. 

This team racing is very different to the type of racing that most do, forming temporary dancing partner relationships of convenience on the track where drivers are only committed to each other while it works for both drivers.

As a class we mostly all like the bump drafting aspect of this class, and at VIR when they asked us who liked bump drafting, the group was overwhelmingly in favor, and I was the first one to put up my hand. So here we are as drivers, we have openly communicated to the SCCA officials that we love bump drafting, and SCCA (Majors at least) has pretty much approved it the way we are doing it. And make no mistake, personally I absolutely love this aspect of our racing.

And there is a huge difference in speed between bump-drafting/pushing vs. just drafting.

But here is the dilemma, and this is not directed at anyone or any team, as I am as guilty or innocent as the others, this is just to start the dialogue in an open transparent fashion………. 
  • Is the future of Spec Miata racing, team racing?
  • What does this do to the class? Will it cause drivers to leave in frustration, prevent newbies from joining due to the additional expense? Or will it draw new drivers to the class that like this aspect of racing?
  • Where does this end? Do we all need to consider funding a “kept” driver to push us to the win? (If so, welcome the $100k + Spec Miata Season)
  • What is to stop the pushing car from being a bit too strong in the power department? If it get’s DQ’d is there anything in the GCR that provides penalties to the car that’s being pushed?
  • Should we consider a third driver as a spoiler? Or should we have the 2nd driver enter the pits during the race, and rejoin the race later to play with the leaders? (as seen in GrandAm recently)
  • Should we outlaw bump drafting altogether? Or is this even possible in our class?
  • Should we embrace the Playboy MX-5 Cup approach which prohibits team members from qualifying together, and makes bump drafting an offense in qualifying (even between non team members) but sort of turns a blind eye to it in the race (Lamb, Buras and a few others that have run this class may be able to shed more light on this approach and what they think of it.)
  • And I am sure there are many more opinions and ideas that will be aired here
I feel this is something that needs open and honest discussion for the future of our class.

• Juan Pineda and Rob Burgoon like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

IMHJ, during brainstorming comments/thoughts/ideas should freely flow, please lets not trash someones ideas at the get-go.

There are SCCA rules that should be implemented during every race.

SCCA GCR

6.11. RULES OF THE ROAD

6.11.1 On Course Driver Conduct

A. Drivers are responsible to avoid physical contact between cars on the race track.

B. Each competitor has a right to racing room, which is generally defined as sufficient space on the marked racing surface that under racing conditions, a driver can maintain control of his car in close quarters.

C. Drivers must respect the right of other competitors to racing room. Abrupt changes in direction that impede or affect the path of another car attempting to overtake or pass may be interpreted as an effort to deprive a fellow competitor of the right to racing room.

D. The overtaking driver is responsible for the decision to pass another car and to accomplish it safely. The overtaken driver is responsible to be aware that he is being passed and not to impede or block the overtaking car. A driver who does not use his rear view mirror or who appears to be blocking another car attempting to pass may be black flagged and/or penalized, as specified in Section 7.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Danny,

Been there too.  I don't know anyway to change this tactic that I can think.

In qualifying, I haven't really had it be an issue so far since I typically can find some other "loner" on grid while we are staring at the East Street gang up front  :D .  Or I sometimes slip in with "teams" since we are all friendly types.

In races, I was once on the recieving end of a tag-team.  I could get by one, but never both as they would work together to push me back or hinder me moving past.  Extremely frustrating, but I just figured it as "that's the way it goes" type deals.  Most races, I have found it possible to work with another like myself that allows us to temporarily team up to even things up a bit.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Team driving is here to stay...  very few will ever do it as egos dont often allow it,

you have to have the mindset that a victory for your team mate is in fact a victory for yourself! 

IMO that is why East Street works so well, Jim in genuinly glad when his freinds and team mates do well!  and after being around Berry and Sandlin they think like that as well...

• Jim Drago likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

Danny, if you need a teammate, teach me how to drive and have Tom prepare my car.  I promise I won't pass you.

• Blake Thompson likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

The "Future"????  

Team driving in SM goes back to the very first days of SM.  Chip Herr and Jim Daniels in matched cars with Sunbelt motors at the very first ARRC....Jim pulls over Chip wins.....

Bret dePedro and Ken Zalner in the MARRSeries.  Then Kenny and Scott Brunk, Then Kenny and his brother Brian....  Mike Collins and Bad Al Bell....

As previously mentioned the Pombo's...Raised the bar to entirely new level.

There is NOTHING new about team driving in SM, some have marching orders, some don't...

• Jim Drago likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

team mate racing goes far beyond on track activity as well...

Data and Vid sharing, track notes, tire notes, $$$ for R&D, encouraging each other, constant dialog about all fassits of the racing.

While it has never worked out for me on track, I have a few people I consider team mates in all those other areas, and it makes a huge difference

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Nothing in the rules against a team effort that I could ever find.  That said, the concept of someone paying for another driver and/or car to help his effort in a race or qualifier runs afoul of the spirit of the class and club racing in general, IMHO.

Had an experience last year at NJMP with a verrrrry faaaaassst car that was DQ'd from the race after it pushed another car to a track record.  As my time was less than 1/10th slower, I asked the Chief Stewart about the legality of the track record and was told that it was legal, nothing in the GCR to question it and the record stands.

Looking forward to some teamwork/proximity practice at WGI next week.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Danny, great topic and thanks for the team compliment. Kyle hit upon some great points, Unselfishness and complete honesty with info and data sharing.
IMO racing would not be near as fun alone....I really enjoy having a team of guys that I am friends with and talk to every day, even when not at the track.
I do not know what others think Team Driving consists of, but besides the points Kyle mentioned, for us its simple....The individual comes first, the team second. Its way more dificult to impliment the plan, than it is to talk about it, and hardly ever really works. Besides the obvious of having 2 drivers and cars matched up with talent and speed, the real key is communication. You must have 2 guys who can communicate openly and honestly. For example, we have had many occasions where one guy is truly faster than another, this cant be a draft or out braking, but just plain faster....one guy must trust the data comming from the faster guy.
As Danny proved with his Pole at the Sprints, team mates do not have to be on the same team. A really smart fast driver can create his own team mate on the track. The on track stuff is hit or miss, and a lot of luck. The off track communication and data sharing is 100%, and thats the real advantage.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

The "Future"????  

Chip Herr and Jim Daniels in matched cars with Sunbelt motors at the very first ARRC....Jim pulls over Chip wins.....

Bret dePedro and Ken Zalner in the MARRSeries.  Then Kenny and Scott Brunk, Then Kenny and his brother Brian....  Mike Collins and Bad Al Bell....

Mike, I never witnessed these examples, but thanks

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Craig, thanks for the tow at the Sprints, and as you know I jumped right back in and pushed to see if we could go faster.

Danny

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Hopefully some of other questions will be addressed as well. 

Danny

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

I got brake-checked by my "team mate" this week and we sleep together.  Team work is hard.  Egos are steep.

• screaming monkey likes this

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Hi all - this is a subject for open discussion that is sure to get everyone all worked up. I do not have any agenda with this, as I am very happy with the status quo, but there was a lot of chatter this past weekend. And this is not something that will be thrashed out prior to the runoffs, as I suspect that this debate will continue well into the off season.

In Spec Miata we have all seen team racing played out well by many teams. In the early days, the Pombo’s were the kings, qualifying and racing at Road Atlanta with a sheet of paper between their bumpers.

In recent years have seen the East Street team of Jim, Craig and Pat doing an amazing job of qualifying and racing at Road America. I even tried it with Tom Fowler there a few years back although we really sucked at it.  And lest anyone think this is an easy task, those that do it well make it look easy, but it takes at least two highly talented drivers to pull it off.

And this past weekend we saw the utter dominance of the SAC team of Matt and Elivan at the Glen in Race 1. They showed it at another level. Two highly skilled teammates totally committed to each other every straight of every lap to the end of the race are pretty tough to beat. 

This team racing is very different to the type of racing that most do, forming temporary dancing partner relationships of convenience on the track where drivers are only committed to each other while it works for both drivers.

As a class we mostly all like the bump drafting aspect of this class, and at VIR when they asked us who liked bump drafting, the group was overwhelmingly in favor, and I was the first one to put up my hand. So here we are as drivers, we have openly communicated to the SCCA officials that we love bump drafting, and SCCA (Majors at least) has pretty much approved it the way we are doing it. And make no mistake, personally I absolutely love this aspect of our racing.

And there is a huge difference in speed between bump-drafting/pushing vs. just drafting.

But here is the dilemma, and this is not directed at anyone or any team, as I am as guilty or innocent as the others, this is just to start the dialogue in an open transparent fashion……….

• Is the future of Spec Miata racing, team racing?
  • What does this do to the class? Will it cause drivers to leave in frustration, prevent newbies from joining due to the additional expense? Or will it draw new drivers to the class that like this aspect of racing?
  • Where does this end? Do we all need to consider funding a “kept” driver to push us to the win? (If so, welcome the $100k + Spec Miata Season)
  • What is to stop the pushing car from being a bit too strong in the power department? If it get’s DQ’d is there anything in the GCR that provides penalties to the car that’s being pushed?
  • Should we consider a third driver as a spoiler? Or should we have the 2nd driver enter the pits during the race, and rejoin the race later to play with the leaders? (as seen in GrandAm recently)
  • Should we outlaw bump drafting altogether? Or is this even possible in our class?
  • Should we embrace the Playboy MX-5 Cup approach which prohibits team members from qualifying together, and makes bump drafting an offense in qualifying (even between non team members) but sort of turns a blind eye to it in the race (Lamb, Buras and a few others that have run this class may be able to shed more light on this approach and what they think of it.)
  • And I am sure there are many more opinions and ideas that will be aired here
I feel this is something that needs open and honest discussion for the future of our class.

Wow, a compliment! I am saving this one :)

• Is the future of Spec Miata racing, team racing

Team racing has been around a long time. Before all of us even started in SM.  I have team mates that I travel with, team mates that I meet at the track. I raced you ( Danny) no differently at Atlanta than had it been Craig ahead of me. I stayed behind, made it clear I was going to push, didn't pass at several opportunities. With a few to go, we started racing. 

I certainly hope not. There is no increase or additional expense. What you suggest will certainly not become the norm, nor will it ever become popular other than perhaps a few very well funded individuals.  If that is what they chose to do, we can't stop them.  

You mention this like it drastically increases your chances. It doesn't . Even with the best two cars and drivers, many stars still have to align to make this work.  I liken it more to buying 5 lottery tickets as opposed to one.  Sure it helps, but you need 20 other pieces to fall in place and seems really silly to "pay" for someone to do nothing but push you around to win an amateur title or race? IMO, pretty sad and few if ANY would respect that championship, I know I wouldn't. 

This is one of the only real concerns I see here. I have to admit, I have been pondering what to do here as I feel fairly certain that this WILL be a very real scenario at this years Runoffs.  This same scenario has been rumored to have happened before in the Pro series, at this same track. So don't dismiss this, it is a VERY real possibility and problem. If I had no regard for this class, what stops me from pushing Berry 20 seconds out on the field and then losing a trans with two to go? "dam, it would have been a great race, too bad my trans failed" Watch out for this one friends. 

Again, Amateur racing.  If someone wants to do this, they will be blasted to no end by the SM community and the wins/results will be completely disrespected and the person/persons will be ostracized from the SM community.  

You can't have it both ways... The only way to do away with ALL of your concerns if black flag any/all that are even thought to be touching, PERIOD.  We will have lots of pissed people, but that is the ONLY way to eliminate it. Personally, I don't care, we will adapt to the rules as most will. 

Sure, but all of our cars are painted the same..  I have several cars,friends, drivers not under my tent that I could team with in qualifying? As do most of us.  It would not work. Only way is 10 ft away from any car rule.   Lets say we change.. Craig and I would master this system weekend one as would you.. Car one break the air, car two start 150 ft  behind, pulling air all the way around, never touching. Then swap the order, laps done. ( Kind of like the Sprints pole this year, without the second part ) :burst:  

While I understand this post was not directed at us, obviously we resemble some of these remarks :)

First our team master strategy...

Do not take your team mate out

Worry about yourself first, team second

Cut the number of people you are racing down from 50-12-6-3 none.. 

Do whatever you can do to help your race, if staying in line is the best move, that is what you should do. 

There are no team orders other than we seldom race each other until it matters

BTW.. Wait until you see the six car ESR/SAC conga line at this years Runoffs :) :banana:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I have been very vocal on my opinion of team tactics during qualifying. I have been given excuses as to why it cant and shouldnt be controlled. None of which I agree with. During a race............ do what you wish. A good driver probably can mitigate most team tactics in a race.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Your opinion dont count :)

• Jim Drago likes this

K. Webb