Photo

Announcing the Glen Region's Last Chance 'Racing Experience'-NO COMP LICENSE NEEDED!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

edzeb

edzeb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

This is an all new event, never held at Watkins Glen International before! 

Want to experience what it is like to be Wheel to Wheel racing in a controlled environment with NO RACING LICENSE REQUIRED?!?!  Is this even possible?  Yes it is!!!

The Glen Region SCCA would like to invite you to our inaugural Last Chance: Club Racing Experience event on Friday October 3rd, 2013 at Watkins Glen International.

What is the SCCA Racing Experience?

This event will be a low risk “racing experience” event that provides an instructional environment to experience and learn about wheel to wheel racing in an easy to access format. The event will happen during the Glen Region’s Last Chance weekend.

Participation is open to any SCCA regular or weekend member. Members will be provided with a SCCA Racing Experience Participation Log to record their participation in the event. Participants must certify they have no known medical conditions that would cause them or others undue risk.

Vehicles are intended to be production based vehicles with a performance level equal or less than normal in Club Racing classes Spec Miata or Improved Touring A. Spec Racer Fords may also be included. Vehicles that may be of a performance higher that those listed above will need to be approved by the Chief Steward before the event (Please contact Ed Zebrowski if your vehicle is of a higher level of performance). Vehicles need not have a SCCA Log Book.

Let your crew, family and friends experience what you do behind the wheel.  This is where you can do all of the above in a controlled environment and see what wheel to wheel action is like on track. Do stay tuned for more information and details!  Or feel free to contact Ed Zebrowski, edzeb@juno.com

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

Ed, very cool.  I'm actively trying to recruit some "on the fence" friends to attend.  Will this be in lieu of, or addition to, the traditional drivers' licensing school?

Are you planning to have the regular 4 hour enduro on Sunday still? 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

This sounds interesting.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

edzeb

edzeb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

I am not the Race Chair of the Last Chance, but as far as I know the region will be running the 4hr on Sunday (like last year).  The supps should be up soon, so stay tuned and as soon as I know I will pass it on.
As for the Race Experience, this is a brand new prototype program.  While it does not replace the traditional Club Race Driver School, participation in the program is officially recognized as experience towards getting signed off.  That is the reason each participant will recieve a Driver's Log to document their participation. 
As for the car requirements, below is what was in Fastrack:

Safety, Technical Inspection:

All vehicles must meet the safety and equipment requirements of GCR 9.3. EXCEPT 9.3.19.G and 9.3.20.C:

9.3.19 G, All driver restraint systems shall have been certified under one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, 16.5, or FIA specification 8853/98 or 8854/98 and be in good shape with no signs of wear of fading,

And 9.3.20.C the use of a head and neck restraint system that has been certified in accordance with SFI 38.1, FIA 8858-2002 or 88598-2010 is strongly recommended.

All vehicles must meet the safety and equipment requirements of GCR 9.4. “Roll cages for GT and Production based cars” or Appendix I, “2007 Cage Rules”.

The Chief Steward may waive deviations of compliance requirements for a car for an event.

Note that the cars have to 'meet' the above rules, but DO NOT have to be SCCA cars.  (Bring on the Ice Racers and Chump Cars!).

I will send out more info on the weekend in general as I get it. 

Ed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users