Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I've been fighting my brakes for ages now.  I had the car for a full year with zero issues.  I never even got pad knock back.  I decided to change the calipers and that's when it all started.   Every so often the pedal just goes to the floor.  You have (virtually?) no front brakes and the rears lock up.  Here's the vid (Sorry for the logos, it was faster to just use my template):

Here is a screen shot of the data on from a lap where I have the issue and a "normal" lap.  (Red == issue, blue == normal).  You'll notice that I'm maxing out the brake sensor.  The little blimp is where I tried to pump the pedal to no avail.  Sensor is using the Iron Canyon adapter and is mounted on the line near the front of the master facing the fender.

I've replaced *everything* in the system other than the hard lines.  Master, booster, prop valve (with a used "known" working one), calipers twice.  I bench bled the master, bled the lines til I was blue in the face, squeezed the rubber on the pins.  All pins are greased, calipers slide etc. etc. etc.

The thing is it doesn't do it every lap.  It's definitely knock back related as it gets worse as pads get thinner.  If I pump the pedal before braking like 5 times with really short/easy strokes  (ok...Webb no jokes!) I almost always have a pedal.  Every once in awhile it'll go like a 1/4 way down before engaging.  It also never does it in the paddock, the pedal is high and great.  Even the first laps of any session are great.  So don't know if it is heat related.  I use Motul 600.  Never have air, never get a soft pedal.  Like I said, it can go to the floor one lap and be fine the next corner and next 20 laps.   Generally in a given session it'll do it 2-3 times.  (If I'm behind someone I always pump the snot out of it down the straight and brake early. Makes for "fun" racing. I've never had issues when I concentrate on pumping it.  Looking at my data, I tapped the pedal 4-5 times, but a bit lighter than normal in the vid above.)

All parts (other than calipers, one set was from Mazda, the other from Rock Auto) were new and from Mazdaspeed.  I do have a new prop valve and hard lines from the master to the prop valve that I'm going to try next.  I'm at my wits' end and would really love to get this figured out before Nationals.  Help?

brake_problem_data.jpg

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Isn't there some sort of one way check valve between the brake booster and the intake manifold for vacuum?  Have you checked that and the associated lines?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Isn't there some sort of one way check valve between the brake booster and the intake manifold for vacuum?  Have you checked that and the associated lines?

Yes, checked (was fine), replaced anyway with a hose from another car for a session, still had the problem.  Bought new hose from Mazda for ***** and giggles, still didn't fix it.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

I've been fighting my brakes for ages now.  I'm at my wits' end and would really love to get this figured out before Nationals.  Help?

"We're too busy at tracks actually racing our cars, doing well, and having fun."

If it were me, I'd stay home and get the brakes issue solved before I did one of those T1 deals.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

"We're too busy at tracks actually racing our cars, doing well, and having fun."

If it were me, I'd stay home and get the brakes issue solved before I did one of those T1 deals.  

You may want to consider the opposite. :rotfl:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Yes, checked (was fine), replaced anyway with a hose from another car for a session, still had the problem.  Bought new hose from Mazda for ***** and giggles, still didn't fix it.

OK.  What's this "prop valve" you are referring to?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:22
It's the curbs. When the car goes over those bumpy curbs the vibration cause the rotor to wobble I believe, and that spreads open the calipers. You have to learn to give the brakes a slight pump after those curbs before you need them
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

OK.  What's this "prop valve" you are referring to?

brake proportioning valve

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

It's the curbs. When the car goes over those bumpy curbs the vibration cause the rotor to wobble I believe, and that spreads open the calipers. You have to learn to give the brakes a slight pump after those curbs before you need them

From OP "If I pump the pedal before braking like 5 times with really short/easy
strokes  (ok...Webb no jokes!) I almost always have a pedal."  I know what knock back is.  I can hit the pedal once (or twice) after the curbs and it'll still do it.  Trust me it isn't normal.

NASA Utah SM Director

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Jack up the car (make sure car is in 100% race setup) so that all 4 wheels are up and it's safe and steady.  Get in, and start driving up in the air as if you were in a session.  You don't need to rev the engine, just keep the speed the same.  Do this until you're able to replicate the problem, or you verify it does not happen in this configuration. 

The test above will achieve 2 things:

1.  It will test your entire brake system. 

2.  Verify if the problem is related to lateral forces (pad knock back) or not.

Post the results and we can take it from there.   Pad knock back can occur from many different things, but let's verify your system first.

* The brake fluid you're using, is that fluid from the same container each time.  I don't think that's what it is, just trying to figure out what you did not replace.  Btw, should have never replaced the booster, it is expensive, but there are great tests for it that would rule it out.  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco

Jack up the car (make sure car is in 100% race setup) so that all 4 wheels are up and it's safe and steady.  Get it, and start driving up in the air as if you were in a session.  You don't need to rev the engine, just keep the speed the same.  Do this until you're able to replicate the problem, or you verify it does not happen in this configuration. 

Post the results and we can take it from there.   Pad knock back can occur from many different things, but let's verify your system first.

* The brake fluid you're using, is that fluid from the same container each time.  I don't think that's what it is, just trying to figure out what you did not replace.  Btw, should have never replaced the booster, it is expensive, but there are great tests for it that would rule it out.  

For the fronts you don't even need the engine running. Just 2 people spinning the wheels and making engine noises. :whistling:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Jack up the car (make sure car is in 100% race setup) so that all 4 wheels are up and it's safe and steady.  Get in, and start driving up in the air as if you were in a session.  You don't need to rev the engine, just keep the speed the same.  Do this until you're able to replicate the problem, or you verify it does not happen in this configuration. 

Please stop...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Todd,

I read your first post and unless I missed it, you do not mention changing rotors or pads(I know you do say everything but I dont want to assume). Any chance you have rotors that have gotten so hot they have lost their integrity? Though I may not be using a correct analogy here...I see what over heating a saw blade does to it. Before applying a load, my 10" table saw blade will spin true and free. As I start pushing a piece of plywood thru and the blade gets hot it will "chatter"...basically vibrate cyclically(creating a larger then smaller kerf). My better blades...ones that cut and don't over heat do not do this.

I've often wondered if rotors(especially of questionable original integrity...cheap)will do this on a regular basis once they've gotten hot enough one time to change things. Hypothetically...you have a long hard brake into a slow corner, as you release your brake, the heated bad rotors vibrate out of true as they spin pushing the pads away. As they cool quickly enough they spin true again before the next brake zone...if all 4 rotors are doing this it would make for a really long pedal!! And then knockback caused by other sources only adds to the problem. In the paddock, the pedal stays where it should be because you have cooler/slower turning/true spinning rotors??

If you had the problem on the first session of new rotors and pads...then my theory isn't worth  :twocents: ! Unless maybe you have been using the same brand of rotor since your problem started?? Hope you get this solved soon!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

From OP "If I pump the pedal before braking like 5 times with really short/easy
strokes  (ok...Webb no jokes!) I almost always have a pedal."  I know what knock back is.  I can hit the pedal once (or twice) after the curbs and it'll still do it.  Trust me it isn't normal.

No joke, I think you need to take this car to the Temple there in SLC, and get the deamon out of your car, especially with all those short strokes!

Ron I think is on to something!!!!!!

K. Webb