Photo

What paint for the interior?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

My donor came black. I'm thinking maybe that's not the optimal interior color because it will get hot in the sun. So I'm wanting to paint it. My question: what is the best paint to use for this purpose? Last time I tried this I used spray Rustoleum. But I found that the paint tended to rub off on my shoes. And I'm thinking it might be better to brush it on to avoid overspray. Is battleship gray the way to go? What is the builder's wisdom on this? Thanks in advance for the help! -Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

I had flat black, but it started to look pretty dusty.

I turned around and went with a spray gray.  Holds up real well except for where my feet are.

On the whole, I like the gray better than the black.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

I have tried white, black, grey...of all the grey was the best. I have also tried brushing, rattle cans, and doing it right with good prep and quality single stage automotive paint. The extra prep seems never ending on the interior but the end result is well worth the extra cost and labor...and not to mention holds up much better.

Attached Files

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I like the hello kitty color scheme.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

No gloss, matte or flat to keep down glare.

I have white,

Heat resistant on/around the tunnel.

Grey sounds like the best of all worlds,

A darker Beige to hide the dust ? :scratchchin:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Matte white.  Cage the complementary color to the main exterior color

colourwheel01.gif

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

@John two comments.. a) you've got 666 posts (is this some kind of sign ??)  B) dude you've been a stay at home dad too long ,, where did you get the complimentary color chart ? the girls in the neighborhood ? you're scaring me buddy!!!

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I like single stage polyurethane paints for interior/engine compartments.  It's tough, looks nice, and is fairly easy to apply.  I do gloss white since it's almost impossible to keep a matte finish looking nice once you start getting dirty hands on it.  I've never had an issue with glare.

I buy my paint from TCP global.   I've been using pure white, which is just a little more muted than a brilliant white.

Here's a picture of the color.

IMG_5689 by duncanrellis, on Flickr

Duncan

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Gloss white for me as well. Best to pick a shade that matches Rustoleum Gloss White for touch-ups.

http://mazdaracers.c...ack-from-paint/

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

I'm not saying "Don't use that color chart" Juan.  However, I think that chart is also how they picked the teletubbies colors...

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I prefer white or gray over black. I did one in "aluminum" and it came out streaky, not good in my opinion. But the customer loved it.

We have also started installing a lot of Kool-Mat floor insulation kits. These are gray and match the rust-o-leum perfectly

This procedure is spelled out in my book, but here it is again. Get a quart can of brush on rust-o-leum paint. Get a couple cans of matching Rust-o-leum spray. Be carefull, some cans are slightly different. Clean with laquer thinner and let dry. Starting in the center of the car (and working out) paint with the brush on first. Doing small areas at a time. While the brush paint is still tacky, put a coat of spray over the brushed area. Try to pay attention to shadow areas and the underside of the cage. I like to paint inside, then roll the car outside for a natural baked on finish.

The tacky brush paint keeps the over-spray to a minimum, while leaving a very smooth finish. Total cost about $20 for brush paint, 2 cans of spray, roll of masking tape, a couple disposable brushes and last weeks newspaper. Figure 6 hours start to finish.

Easy to clean and touch-up. Durable yet cheap.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

The floors will always get beat up from our feet rubbing the paint off.  Don't think there is anyway of overcoming that 'feature'.  Normal wear and tear.  Same w/ the top door bar on the driver side getting beat up from ingress/egress.

I repainted the pax foot well w/ brush on Rustoleum white after hitting it with a wire wheel.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.  Going to do the driver side one of these off-seasons in the same way.  I may add either some diamond plate under the pedals as a heel pad or just do the grip tape over most of the driver floor.

I have a white car.  I painted the parcel tray flat black.  Made a huge difference in rear visibility.

For heat control, I used DEI Race Car Floor and Tunnel Shield.

http://www.hrpworld....&action=product

I added it to the underside of the trans tunnel and to the fire wall where your feet are.  Also used this on my turbo rotary track car.  Makes a huge difference.  My interior sheet metal is cool to the touch.  I prefer to deal with the heat problem before it absorbs into the tub's sheet metal hence why I added it to the underside of the car rather than the interior.  Years ago, I had added similar stuff to the interior in the RX7 since it was easier to install that way.  I found it worked better when placed on the exterior.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Another option is to wet blast the car and powder coat (gloss white) the entire chassis minus the outside panels.  This option may be too expensive for a Miata, but it is the one option that requires very little prep work on your part, and the final product is the best in terms of durability and restoration. 

In terms of paint, gloss white, or gloss red on top of black leather do look nice.  Look up Danny's build.  It is art. 

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I had black and white interiors both, and damned if I could tell any meaningful difference in comfort.   If it was a hot day, I was hot.  Vents and exhaust (damn value pipe) and firewall sealing and 20 other things mattered much more than interior color.

Having said that - I hated the white - bright, glare, got dirty, a bitch to touch up.  I like black, because when you freshen up the interior you don't get the obvious signs of overspray on wiring harnesses, black plastic bits, etc.  You can get black in every finish and gloss imagineable.

Parting thought:  Which color does the lap timer like?  Money and time spent on cosmetics is money and time not spent on speed or reliability.  :)

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Shucks, I thought Coello was trending with his last car, un-painted roll cage. Or maybe it was a :pimp: my ride deal.  :o

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken Nesbit

Ken Nesbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:17

On my open FP car I used the silver Dupli-Color Wheel Paint with a clear coat (same wheel paint), doesn't get too hot, doesn't show the dirt like white does and it's a good durable paint.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users