• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Speedsterp

Speedsterp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I just purchased a SM and need to change out the seat as the previous owner is much taller and weighs more then myself.  I am 5'-7" and weigh 158#, with a 31" waist.  I really like the idea of having a seat with a head restraint system such as the Race Tech 4009HR or the Kirkey full containment seat.  It seems both of these seats may require heavier modification, such as cutting into the tunnel.  I could get a Kirkey intermediate seat and add on the side head guards will not call them head restraint.  IO Port said they would be considered head rests and would buckle in a heavy side loading. 

The Kirkey full containment is a lot less money then the RT and seems a bit smaller in most dimensions or similar.  I saw a post where a few had installed the Kirkey FC, but no real information on how difficult to install or how this seat works in an SM.  I did see a few SM cars that had RT seats and the tunnel had been modified to make them fit.

At a cost difference of $1,000 less for a Kirkey FC over RT, is there any reason not to go with Kirkey FC? 

What about just installing a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat without head restraint, is head restraint needed if I were to use a HANS Device.  The original owner will install this type of seat for free as it is a fairly easy install comparatively.

Input is very much appreciated.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

The RaceTech, Sparco and others will fit w/o modification.  JohnnyD has a RaceTech in his 99.  My fat ass won't fit in it but his does.  I suspect yours will too.  I have a Sparco Pro ADV that Tony from TC fit for me and fabbed the appropriate brackets for. 

I'd highly recommend going over to Wine Country Motorsports at Infineon and Griffin in Berkeley to test fit your ass in a few seats before buying. 

I also highly recommend having an experienced professional install the seat and fit you to it if you've never done it before.  TC Design installed my seat and provided some nice sturdy brackets for the seat. The only mod required to mount the Sparco in my car at my 5'9" - 5'10" height was removing the rear seat attachment humps - which TC's bracket replaced.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I've been using the Kirkey FC seat for three years and really like it.  Mine is installed without modifications to the car.  Do your research regarding Full Containment or not.  My vote would be for it.  I also went with the upgraded seat padding and have been very happy with it's feel and wear.  

When you say the FC would require lots of modification I guess that would be more cage dependent.  Go to the Kirkey site and look at the shop drawings and dimensions and you can get a good idea of fitment.

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

I have a fat boy version of the Racetech.  It is barely off-center with no tunnel mod.  I would now probably do a tunnel mod for any seat given it's legal and it allows more adjustment.  As far as the FC or HR seat, I will probably go without one on the next seat purchase/car build.  The 4009HR left little room for escape, so I removed the quarter window from the driver side.  It is still a tight squeeze.  I'll go with the center net on my next version unless the geometry of the car gives me more room for egress.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I'm in Fremont if you want to try it.

I don't think I have the "W" but I'd have to check again.

5'-10, 195lbs, bigger waist than you.

No cutout, but like Alberto said mines a 99, so wider cabin?

So mines fiberglass, about to expire soon, forgot what I need to do, back stabber?, Sell to HPDEer?

Pretty sure the back stabber for the Alum Kirky at some point.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Speedsterp

Speedsterp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Keith what year Miata did you install Kirkey FC seat in? Also how tall are you did you install 15", 16" etc?

I have sat in a Race Tech which felt good, but so did the Kirkey.

I appreciate all the input and never really thought about the escape issue of a head restraint system. Given I am not what one would call tall that could be a concern.

The SM cars I saw today all had RT seats and the tunnels had been modified. I understand that the 99 has more room. The car I saw tunnel mod on was a NA, I saw the mod from bottom side.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Any halo seat should have the wing window removed for ease of egress.

• tLinder likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Any halo seat should have the wing window removed for ease of egress.

I get in and out with my on Helmet/HAANS on so I know have to contort myself to get out quickly.

I don't remember you doing that. :wave2:

Maybe I'll talk with Brian and have a few do it when they do a full pull.

I'd get my camera. Nothing more entertaining than seeing someone bang there head a few times, trying to get out in 10 secs. :rotfl:

Or is that just NASA? :scratchchin:

J~

• Derrick Ambrose likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Personally I'd stay away from an aluminum seat in these little cars...  If you want to chat IM me your contact info and we'll talk.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm in pleasant Hill...my son is the same size. We bought the Pro ADV...a little 2lb sledge mod is all i did. Your welcome to come over and check it out. Who's car did you buy? Local? If you're really new to the whole scene I can give you a wealth of information on many things if you want to give me a call or come by! Happy to help and share!

PM your contact info if you like....Ron

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Is head restraint needed if I were to use a HANS Device.

Yes, because the HANS device is there to provide a different function than the HALO seat head restraint.  Hans device does not help during side impact. 

In case you're wondering if the right hand side net is required with the HANS device AND HALO seat, the answer is also YES.  One of the functions of the right hand side net is to stop you in case the HALO seat fails (they do).

My car is 1990, I'm 5'8" with 31 waist.  I have Sparco PRO ADV in my car.  There are many more things to know about than just notching the tunnel.  I'm assuming the same thing will be with RaceTech seat.  Once you select the seat, post it here and I'll give you a run down of what you need to know in advance. 

John is correct, stay away from aluminum seats no matter the price.

Speedsterp

Speedsterp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Could someone elaborate on what the issue is with aluminum seats. I would think maybe being more rigid where a fiberglass seat might dissipate an impact. Maybe concerns with edges of aluminum seats causing injury.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I don't know about AW33 comments about Halo and net. Maybe a region requirement.

I've had mine for 4 years and never needed the net. The net I believe is a NASA requirement.

Speed, Send John a PM, he's the NASA SM National Director.

He may give you his opinion or experiences that he doesn't want to post publicly here.

Just click on his Avatar/picture^^^ to go to his profile. Then hit send me a message.

J~

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
One thing to consider with a full containment or halo seat is if it allows you to quickly egress from your car on fire while fully strapped in and wearing a helmet. Can you get out in under 8 seconds? How about if the car is rolled over on its top and on fire?

Granted, Miatas don't seem to be prone to catching on fire but the possibility exists. Just some food for thought.

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Yes, because the HANS device is there to provide a different function than the HALO seat head restraint.  Hans device does not help during side impact. 

In case you're wondering if the right hand side net is required with the HANS device AND HALO seat, the answer is also YES.  One of the functions of the right hand side net is to stop you in case the HALO seat fails (they do).

My car is 1990, I'm 5'8" with 31 waist.  I have Sparco PRO ADV in my car.  There are many more things to know about than just notching the tunnel.  I'm assuming the same thing will be with RaceTech seat.  Once you select the seat, post it here and I'll give you a run down of what you need to know in advance. 

John is correct, stay away from aluminum seats no matter the price.

AWE: (nice new name btw)

Just a quick question...who requires a right side net along with the Halo seat?

NASA is either or.

SCCA you can run neither if you want (not that it's a great idea).

I'm not saying running both is a bad idea at all (it's actually a good one, given how the right side net provides support for the seat as well), but it's not required by any rule set that I know of.

OP:  Depending on who built your cage the install of a head restraint seat can either be a piece of cake (note putting any fiberglass seat into these cars is a pain but doable), or require cage modifications.  With your height, depending on how you prefer to sit in relation to the wheel, things should be easier than if you were 6'2".

The nice thing about the racetech seat is the "halo" portion is the narrowest I found.  I think the Momo Daytona seat is pretty narrow too up top.  I originally tried to install an OMP head restraint seat into my car, and the wing stuck out past the cage.  If I would have installed that seat the head restraint would have been the pivot point in a roll over.

Good luck with the new car!

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

The nice thing about the racetech seat is the "halo" portion is the narrowest I found.  I think the Momo Daytona seat is pretty narrow too up top.  I originally tried to install an OMP head restraint seat into my car, and the wing stuck out past the cage.  If I would have installed that seat the head restraint would have been the pivot point in a roll over.

-Vick

I have a Racetech 4119 in mine and the halo is fairly wide. I wish is were a little more narrow. The Sparco Circuit is slightly wider still. I'm short and getting out the drivers door with is closed is essentially a no go. Too close to the A-piller. I'm heading out the Passenger window if that door won't open.

They notched the tunnel when they did my seat install. Best route is to have the seat installed where you like it and then have the cage built.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Keith what year Miata did you install Kirkey FC seat in? Also how tall are you did you install 15", 16" etc?

I have sat in a Race Tech which felt good, but so did the Kirkey.

I appreciate all the input and never really thought about the escape issue of a head restraint system. Given I am not what one would call tall that could be a concern.

The SM cars I saw today all had RT seats and the tunnels had been modified. I understand that the 99 has more room. The car I saw tunnel mod on was a NA, I saw the mod from bottom side.

Mine is a 16" in a 99 I'm 5' 10.  I can get out the window with the door closed and I'm 55 years old (not as flexible as I used to be).  My vent window is removed.  I wouldn't let the egress issue cloud your decision.  IMHO you are much more likely to benefit from head restraint.  I'm not down playing the risk of fire and the need to get out of the car.  I've just seen and been involved in much more contact with immovable objects or other cars, than fire involved issues.  Protect your head.

I'm no engineer or an expert.  I know both aluminum and composite seat are capable of SFI certification.  Get it installed properly (strong) either way.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Just a quick question...who requires a right side net along with the Halo seat?

To clarify, I did not mean it by the rules, just in terms of safety.  One does not substitute the other. 

I assumed the OP knows the rules and is asking in terms of safety.

The RaceTech seat has sizes to choose from as oppose to others, so it could be technically easier to install since the OP is slim.  

AWE: (nice new name btw)

My old username which I lost the password for, or was taken few years ago. 

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'm 6'4 260lbs... I use a made to Measure Butler Built seat.  It fits fine and I have PLEANTY of egress with the vent window removed.  

There are no issues with a proper fitting aluminum seat in one of these cars.  If someone tells you otherwise they have no F'n clue what they are talking about.  Its probably their personal opinion and not based on fact.

• Alberto likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I have run aluminum seats in multiple cars and have tested them will all kinds of crashes and roll-overs.  I agree with Mike, there is nothing wrong with a properly mounted aluminum seat.  

wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users