• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

With the runoffs here and gone, It appears that several cars including some top notch teams and drivers had the dreaded missfire. Has anyone figured out exactly what the cause is. It's sad to see that all the effort, time and money spent just to get to the runoffs goes down the drain when this happens.

Should the rules be changed so that whatever causes it can be repaired permanently ? I know it starts with the cam sensor and/or the crank sensor along with the engine harness. Has anyone figured out a fix ?

Dewey~

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Is this primarily a 99+ issue?

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

AS far as I know it's only on the 99+ and maybe in the engine harness.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Bill Agha is looking into having a new engine harness manufactured to help with the issue. It should be identicle to the Mazda stock harness just newer. I'm sure he will post something if he gets this project on track.
  • Joe (dad) Jordan likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I had the misfire at hi-rpm. It killed a weekend at the Glen after a 7-hr tow. I checked everything and replaced the cam & crank sensors and the coil, but the misfire remained. When I got home I ordered some new spark plug wires, although I didn't believe the Magnecors were the problem. After I pulled them I noticed inside 2 of the coil-end boots that the terminals were very sooted. Enough so that it was probably the cause for my mis-fire or at least the continuation of it after replacing the coil. The problem, knock-wood, hasn't returned. What I think happened was the coil was failing and became heated enough to burn the dielectric grease I used on the terminals. I'll never use that stuff again, because while it's good for preventing corrosion on the connections, it is bad for actual electric connection. Since a dielectrics function is to act as an insulating electrical barrier. Sad thing on my weekend, replacing the wire was the only thing I didn't try and I had an old set of NGK wires in my track box.  :dope:

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Maybe it has something to do with The Glen  :bash:

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

You do realize that Bench Racer has little voodoo dolls of all the 99 cars and is just randomly sticking pins in them, no?

• Glenn and Keith Andrews like this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I don’t think there is “a” solution to misfire problems as there are multiple potential causes. Sensors, pinched wires, loose or bad grounds, bad connectors, etc. can all cause the problem in any year car.  The more times parts are replaced, the more opportunities for something to get damaged in the process.  I've had a few of the issues above on occasion.  I've had a plug wire (Magnacor as well) separate from the connection to the coil inside the boot.  I think I have a gremlin now because my car acts like it fuel starves but only in one specific corner after a series of tight downhill turns with lots of fuel that may be something loose somewhere.  They can be a bugger to diagnose because they're often intermittent and can be caused by so many things.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

You do realize that Bench Racer has little voodoo dolls of all the 99 cars and is just randomly sticking pins in them, no?

Only if they have an issue below 5,500 rpm would it be Bench Racer's handy work. Don't want to start any $hit with the 99's about above 6,000 rpm's because then the 99's would sticken pins in their 1.6 dolls. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I took the time to cut open Craigs harness from one end to the other. I never felt the need to do this, since we had plenty, we would just change the harnes when needed. In short, this harness is a patched up POS! There are no less than 16 different splices and crimps in this harness. I hate to say, but we will start disassembling each harness before each build and soldering ALL of these crimps and joints.

Of the three wires going to the cam position sensor the power wire is spliced 1 feed into 6 wires and crimped together. The ground is joined with two other grounds (3 into 1) then that one is joined in a crappy plastic junction box of six more grounds. I will post some pictures of all the splices and crimps.. NONE are done by us, all as the harness was delivered.

here are a few pictures.. look for orange circles.. :buried: 
We are going to solder all of these from here forward before installing, looks like fun :(

99miataharness2_zps3dd7dee4.jpg

99miatawiring1_zpsaa26df56.jpg

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

^ Would a brand new harness fix this?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

^ Would a brand new harness fix this?

It is not available new, but I imagine a new one would last quite awhile before having the same issues. I did not find anything obviously "loose" in any of teh crimps related to cam or crank sensor BTW

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Are you allowed to run a "modified" harness?  "Repaired"?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

After struggling through 2 weekends, which happened to be 2 of the most important races of the year with our 1.6 can we officially have a rule that allows us to wire our spec miata's without the factory wiring harness?  My understanding is it's illegal to do so.  I could be wrong, but these misfires from wiring harnesses older than my driver are killing us...rant over...

We replaced the following: kill switch, alternator, tps sensor and wiring, cam sensor and wiring.  (then tried wiring directly too sensor), air flow meter, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, ecu, tried to buy a new engine harness...not available....  still not solved.....

On too next year!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Bill Agha is looking into having a new engine harness manufactured to help with the issue. It should be identicle to the Mazda stock harness just newer. I'm sure he will post something if he gets this project on track.

Bill please help the 1.6's too if you get this figured out.  You have your first customer ready to go!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

After struggling through 2 weekends, which happened to be 2 of the most important races of the year with our 1.6 can we officially have a rule that allows us to wire our spec miata's without the factory wiring harness?  My understanding is it's illegal to do so.  I could be wrong, but these misfires from wiring harnesses older than my driver are killing us...rant over...

We replaced the following: kill switch, alternator, tps sensor and wiring, cam sensor and wiring.  (then tried wiring directly too sensor), air flow meter, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, ecu, tried to buy a new engine harness...not available....  still not solved.....

On too next year!

You left out going from one end of the car to the other checking all of the grounds and power connections!  That was fun :)

-Derrick

• Mike Collins likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Those splices and crimps in the picture above are done by someone else than Mazda, which does not explain the same misfiring problem across multiple cars.   Unless they came from the same shop, which I doubt.   

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Those splices and crimps in the picture above are done by someone else than Mazda, which does not explain the same misfiring problem across multiple cars.   Unless they came from the same shop, which I doubt.   

Joe, do you have a video of your 1.6 misfiring?

I doubt Mazda makes the harness, but those are 100% certainity in every 99/00 miata harness. It is definitely not something done post production. They came off the assembly line that way.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

those are 100% certainity in every 99/00 miata harness.

Did not know that.  I have never seen a splice like that unless home shop production.  Even Lucas Electronics would not do that. 

Scary, I wonder if my 1.6 has that kind of work hiding somewhere. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Did not know that.  I have never seen a splice like that unless home shop production.  Even Lucas Electronics would not do that. 

Scary, I wonder if my 1.6 has that kind of work hiding somewhere. 

It does for sure

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users