Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Anyone have any stories or reports from the weekend. I saw that Keith Andrews won the SIC race, Dan Tiley was second and Selin Rolan was third. 

Congrats to all the podium finishers.

Judging by the results it appears as if there was some self policing in our class. Anyone care to illuminate what transpired?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Where are the results posted?  Couldn't find them on MyLaps or http://buccaneerregi...lubevents.html.

What did you see or hear that indicated self policing?  Protests?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

I'll try to work up a race report.  But yes, the SIC went off with the usual cast of characters and lots of solid racing.  I managed to get around Roebling Road faster than I ever have in qualifying and get the win.  I think for the most part, track drama was at a minimum.  I never saw a yellow flag.  

Thanks for the congrats.  

A Huge Congratulations to Dan Tiley for his SARRC Championship.  He put together a great season long effort of wins.  

Regarding the self policing.  I can not be prouder of this class.  We have so many knowledgable teams and drivers willing to step up and call out things they see out of the box.  No one wants to be the bad guy but it makes the class sooooo much stronger.  I'll work on a write up tomorrow.  

Congrats to again to Dan and Selin.  Great hard racing  :toast:

• CruzanTom likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44
Keith Andrews won the SIC Race and lead every lap from the pole. His qualifying time of 1:21.762 was incredible given the heat. Dan Tiley came in second and won the season-long SARRC Championship. 

The race was intense. Dan And Chip Van Vurst entered the race tied for 1st place in the SARRC points with Sellin Rollin just behind. Keith jumped to an early lead and the rest of the field fought for second place and the SARRC Championship.

Top Ten

1.  Keith Andrews
2.  Dan Tiley
3.  Sellin Rollin
4.  Chris Topping
5.  Dillon Machevern
6.  Preston Pardus
7.  Chip Van Vurst
8.  TomHart
9.  Rick Gambill
10.  Jason Sellers

Full results here: http://www.mylaps.co...ication/2896536

Tom

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brocodile

Brocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:61

Congrats to Keith for the race win and to Dan for the Championship...and to my fellow OPM buds Tom Hart and Jason Sellers for top ten finishes.

Based on some personal observations at a recent event, I could make an educated guess as to the object of the self-policing, but, rather than speculate, I will leave it to those present at the race to provide information. I second Keith's comments regarding self-policing in the class. I have been a member of a couple of delegations to deliver a message to obvious violators. It's not pleasant; however, it often avoids the need to throw paper, with the attendant delay and expense.

Skip Brock
OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines
2012 SARRC Spec Miata Champion
2012 SEDiv Regional Driver of the Year

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Congrats to Keith on the win and Dan and Ti Speed on the Championship. 

It has been a good year for both of you guys!

Jim 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

First of all, BIG congrats to Keith Andrews on his flag to flag SIC win this weekend.  We worked together all test day with him leading and me leading, and it became clear early that he had us all covered regardless of who was in front.  I never once saw him drop a wheel, or get the slightest bit out of shape for 3 straight days.  You've come long way Keith... Congratulations, and keep it up!  You won't find a more genuinely nice guy in the paddock.

As for the SARRC championship.  We went into the race with Chip VanVurst, myself and Selin Rollan in a close 3-way points battle... close enough, in fact, that the finishing order of the SIC would determine the overall champion.  I fell back to 4th on the start, as Chip gave Selin & Keith a great push on the start dropping me back from the front row to 4th by turn 1.  Chip and I battled side by side for 4 or 5 laps.  Chip's car was very wide, but the racing was as clean as you'd expect with the Championship on the line.  One lap we went side by side from T1 all the way through T5 without a touch.  I finally managed to clear Chip on the outside of T2 with a little help from Dillon Machavern.  With Keith and Selin battling for the lead, I ran 5 straight laps in in the 1:22.5-1:22.7 range in clean air and nipped about 4 or 5 tenths off per lap.   With about 4 to go I had caught Selin.  Just like with Chip, we went side by side over and over but I could never quite get the run I needed to pass until the 2nd to last lap.  Selin protected the inside line down the front straight which allowed me to get just enough of a draft off of Keith on the outside to clear Selin going into T1.  Both Chip and Selin (and BSI in general) are a class act.  Both were very congratulatory afterwards, and were all smiles in tech after such a hard fought race.  

On a much sadder note... we learned that Chip's mom passed away shortly before this event.  No doubt Chip had alot on his mind coming into this weekend.  You (Chip and Matthew) have our most sincere condolences for your loss.

Overall I've had my best season ever.  12 SARRC races with 5 wins and 7 second place finishes, as well as a 3rd and 4th at the VIR Majors race.  To give an idea of the depth of the SARRC competition, every single 2nd place finish I've taken this season were to unique drivers (K. Andrews, D. Machavern, C. VanVurst, J. Owenby, S. Hughes, C. Brown, C. Crowell).  Thanks so much to my wife Becky who has been through hell but was never down this past year in her battle with Breast Cancer... and winning!  To my daughter Ava who cheers me on even when I finish second.  My inlaws, who come down all the way from NY to catch nearly every race.  To my great friends Rick Gambill and Keith Andrews who both spend countless hours at the Ti-Speed shop helping out, never asking for anything in return.  Also to OPM's Tom and Tracy Fowler (and crew:  Chris, Jonathan, Andrew, & Ryan), who still haven't kicked us out of their tent even after several seasons of us nagging them!  Tom was also kind enough to drive my car on test day and went through data and video with me to show me were I was terrible at Savannah (pretty much everywhere).  It helped tremendously!  And of course the Panic Motorsports crew, our good friends and parts supplier.

Now in my 8th season of SM,  this is undoubtedly the best amateur racing there is to be had, from the points of camaraderie, competition, and fun!  See y'all next season, which starts in 2 weeks, BTW :)

• Chris Fulton, JBlaisdell, CruzanTom and 3 others like this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats on the title Dan, well deserved. You have been real fast all year, and have kicked out butts in the Major's series as well. Also big congrats to Keith for the win and for the really quick qualifying times. Congrats too to Selin for his podium finish.

Tough to find a a more likeable podium in racing anywhere, all really good guys. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

I'm glad Dan went through the race report.  When I got thinking about mine most of it went along the lines of, Selin's still there, yup he's still there, rinse and repeat for 20 laps.  Oh Dan's coming, checkered flag.  I always like racing Selin he is such a solid, tough, fair, competitor.  

I do want to thank Dan for all his help teaching and coaching.  Also thanks for the consistent Ti-Speed power, the engine I won with this year was put in my car last year for the 2012 SIC, amazing.  

Thanks to Tom, Tracy, Andrew, Jonathan, Chris, Ryan, and all the OPM gang.  Thank you OPM.  

Danny thanks for the kind words.  I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Tom, Dan and I were able to compare data and talk about getting around Roebling.  That really helped this happen.

Thanks Jim, thanks for your help and support.  It's been a fun year.

Edit: I forgot to add I got a call from Alex and Nicole Gaines who are in Nice, France.  Alex is over there studying for his MBA.  Way cool, you guys are the best thanks for the call!  

• Todd Lamb, Danny Steyn and CruzanTom like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users