Photo

Help Wanted...video description included.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Ok, I was just about 10 laps into the Last Chance 4-hour Enduro at Watkins Glen on Sunday, when my car started having this weird problem when I upshifted...most noticible from 3rd to 4th.  There seemed to be an audible hesitation after releasing the clutch pedal and applying full throttle.  It sounded as if the engine was bogging down, but then would recover.  This hestitation became progressively worse.  Watch below, please.

http://youtu.be/GUcPHPb8e2Y

I pulled into the paddock, and made sure all the wheels spun freely.  After the car cooled down for about 45 minutes, we changed spark plug wires (as that was the only think we changed prior to the race), and I went back out.  The first few laps the hesitation was brief, but then it lengthened to what is in the video.  Pulled in and packed it up.  The car is still in the trailer, as we're rearranging the garage.

Any thoughts on what's wrong?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I'd guess something in the clutch.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

I'd guess something in the clutch.

We thought that, but I would think the engine rpm would rise, with a higher note, then come down when the clutch grabbed.  Opposite of what happened.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29
Domm, I had the exact same thing at Sebring this year. We all had the same debate about the clutch and revving higher. I know Drago replaced the clutch and pressure plate....I will ask him if there was anything else....but the problem was fixed. Very frustrating and Very Slow.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

Could still be a slipping clutch.  The immediate sound after the upshift may be slightly higher than it's supposed to be but you don't notice because that part isn't too far off.  The car loses momentum and then it grabs and what you notice is the drop in RPMs because that sounds really abnormal.  If a clutch is going, 3rd to 4th is the first place you'll notice it.

• DrDomm likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Domm, I had the exact same thing at Sebring this year. We all had the same debate about the clutch and revving higher. I know Drago replaced the clutch and pressure plate....I will ask him if there was anything else....but the problem was fixed. Very frustrating and Very Slow.

Yeah, just kept getting slower and slower...

Thanks.

Domm Leuci

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Domm
We changed clutch, PP, release and pilot bearing and car was fixed. Same exact sound as yours, Craigs was notquite as bad sounding as yours, but close.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Clutch.  engine isn't promptly matching the new gear speed after the clutch is dropped.  Check for an oil leak fouling your clutch disk.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Had the exact same sound and experience at WG at the Majors this year in my '02. Oil getting onto clutch, slipping at first and then finally mating. Worse on hills under load.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Thanks everyone.  I've got plenty of time to work on it, so we'll get it fixed for next spring.

Domm Leuci

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Domm
To Danny's point.. While you are there, go ahead and change rear main seal on engine as a precaution
Jim
  • DrDomm likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:8

Enduro track fix....... can of brake cleaner through the clutch boot.

Kyle

• john mueller, Keith Novak and Rob Burgoon like this

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Kyle

Interesting.  But if oil was leaking onto it, wouldn't it continue to happen?

Domm Leuci

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Kyle

I remember watching a pro (GTP?) race at LRP on TV years ago.  The team poured Coke or Pepsi into the clutch area to 'fix' a slipping clutch.  IIRC, it seemed to help them continue.  Pretty interesting.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Domm
We changed clutch, PP, release and pilot bearing and car was fixed. Same exact sound as yours, Craigs was notquite as bad sounding as yours, but close.

Jim

Domm
To Danny's point.. While you are there, go ahead and change rear main seal on engine as a precaution
Jim

Ok, finally getting around to start this project.  I'm assuming that the rear main seal is the culprit since we found a small puddle of oil under the back of the motor in the trailer.

I know conventional racing wisdom says, "go ahead and replace everything when you have the chance".  I just hate replacing things that aren't broken.  Along with the rear main seal, replacing the clutch disc and anything else that seems to have wear makes sense to me.  But why replace the pressure plate if it appears undamaged?  It's the priciest piece in this project.

But if I were to replace the pressure plate, which one?  I would assume that the ACT heavy duty one is better than stock.  Is it?  What are the differences?  And if any clutch disc is allowed, which one?  Sprung/Unsprung?  :)

Domm Leuci

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Domm
I use the stock pressure plate, the ACT PP feels like a diesel truck IMO. I like the feel of stock and I have never felt the need for more clamping force in our cars. It has worked well for me. I run a 3 puck unsprung disc from Clutchnet.com. They also have a sprung version. If you are easy on equipment, go with the unsprung.

Your pressure plate is probably fine, but IMO, why chance doing it twice? Keep a log and know when you changed from here forward if not doing so already.

Jim
  • DrDomm likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Ok, finally getting around to start this project.  I'm assuming that the rear main seal is the culprit since we found a small puddle of oil under the back of the motor in the trailer.

I know conventional racing wisdom says, "go ahead and replace everything when you have the chance".  I just hate replacing things that aren't broken.  Along with the rear main seal, replacing the clutch disc and anything else that seems to have wear makes sense to me.  But why replace the pressure plate if it appears undamaged?  It's the priciest piece in this project.

But if I were to replace the pressure plate, which one?  I would assume that the ACT heavy duty one is better than stock.  Is it?  What are the differences?  And if any clutch disc is allowed, which one?  Sprung/Unsprung?  :)

If the labor and time are of less value to you than the cost of an all new clutch, then parts wash all the clutch parts and put it back in!  Chances are it will work fine.  I'd check the tranny front seal in addition to the engine rear main.

Those sintered metal pucks really WANT to grab ... if they aren't constantly being "re-oiled" by the failed seal, they WILL grab - that's precisely why it IS grabbing and pulling motor down once the oil is being slung/wiped/burned away.  Fix the leak and you've fixed the problem.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

jschwarz

jschwarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:21

This is great!

I just was asking about this exact thing on mine on 3-4 shifts at RA (up hill). This was in August so it was warm and it only started 3/4 of the way through the race. The next day all was well again until about again 3/4 through the race it started slipping on 3-4 shifts again up hill. I assumed the clutch was getting too hot but was still thinking it might be worth it to replace the disk if it was glazed or something.

My thought is if it was oil it would do this right away right? Should be able to see how oily things are on tear down too?

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Saul, thanks so much.  My plan is to get the transmission out today, and "see what's going on".  I've gone back and looked at video throughout the year, and realize that this problem was going on for a long time, but to a much lesser extent.  I would even notice/realize it while driving, but just figured it was "normal".

And Saul, what's your preference for type of disc/pressure plate?

Domm Leuci

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

This is great!

I just was asking about this exact thing on mine on 3-4 shifts at RA (up hill). This was in August so it was warm and it only started 3/4 of the way through the race. The next day all was well again until about again 3/4 through the race it started slipping on 3-4 shifts again up hill. I assumed the clutch was getting too hot but was still thinking it might be worth it to replace the disk if it was glazed or something.

My thought is if it was oil it would do this right away right? Should be able to see how oily things are on tear down too?

If you watch my Runoffs video, you can get an audible sense of the "delay" when shifting 3rd to 4th.  http://youtu.be/iXma17Eihjk

About your observations that the problem only started 3/4 thru your race, but then went away for the beginning of the next day's race...same thing happened to me at Watkins Glen.  I had the problem in the video above after about 10 laps (maybe less), and then pulled it in.  We took the car back to the paddock, had lunch, looked at a few things, and went back out.  The first couple of laps weren't that bad, but it just got progressively worse again.  I'm guessing heat has something to do with the seal's efficiency.  We then noticed some oil dripping as it went up into the trailer. 

I will post what I find.

Domm Leuci

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users