Photo

Height adjustment range for FIA seats w/ halo?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

For those with FIA containment seats (I'm using halo and containment interchangably, but I understand that there might be a difference between the two) - how much range of height adjustment do you guys have?  In other words, once the seat is in the brackets, from the lowest position to the highest, how many holes (of the bracket) or inches, etc., can you adjust the seat?

Does your halo hit the cage at any point?

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

I think the answer to this question is "it depends".  Depending on the seat and cage, I've seen the "halo" portion either totally inside the cage, to almost out the window.

I do know in my car it's a lot easier to adjust the seating position with pads than taking the seat in and out of the car.   In my racetech I shaved the foam inside the pad down....still may just take the thing out to get lower in the car.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I think the answer to this question is "it depends".  Depending on the seat and cage, I've seen the "halo" portion either totally inside the cage, to almost out the window.

I do know in my car it's a lot easier to adjust the seating position with pads than taking the seat in and out of the car.   In my racetech I shaved the foam inside the pad down....still may just take the thing out to get lower in the car.

-Vick

Pretty much sums it up. Like Vick, I shaved down the bottom seat pad on my Racetech seats, removing about 1" of padding to get my but lower in the seat (lower CofG)

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78
Does your halo hit the cage at any point?

My cage was build for a 6'4" guy, but Sparco PRO ADV (my seat) will hit the cage, door, window, tunnel, and the floor in the 1.6 car.  The window net will also rest against the seat. Racetech seat has sizes to select from, so it will depend on the size.  If I had to do it over I would go with Racetech. 

Yes, seats like Sparco can be adjusted about 3 inches up and down, and about 2-3 inches in the front to back line.  This will depend on how wide the seat is, and how much (length wise) you cut the tunnel, as you still have to put your hands in there and bolt the seat.  

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

My cage was build for a 6'4" guy, but Sparco PRO ADV (my seat) will hit the cage, door, window, tunnel, and the floor in the 1.6 car.  The window net will also rest against the seat. Racetech seat has sizes to select from, so it will depend on the size.  If I had to do it over I would go with Racetech. 

Yes, seats like Sparco can be adjusted about 3 inches up and down, and about 2-3 inches in the front to back line.  This will depend on how wide the seat is, and how much (length wise) you cut the tunnel, as you still have to put your hands in there and bolt the seat.  

I am looking at the Sparco Pro ADV do you like that seat? its a one size fits all, is it not? I sat in one a week ago and like it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The seat itself seems good, but I personally have problems with it.  The seat is simply too big for my 30-31 waist.  The shoulder area is super wide to a point I actually move around in the seat when driving through rough right/lefts.  More, there are 2 race tracks in NorthEast that kill my lower back in that seat.  I can't go for more than 1 hour at Watkins Glen without feeling some major pain.  I may need to use some foam, but I don't think that's how it should work. 

There is also one safety related thing I noticed: the left shoulder sits right on the door/pillar/cage.  That was not the case when I looked at cars with RaceTech seats.  They have about 2 inch of space there, which works as a cushion in case of impact.  So long story short, the seat seems too big for the car and someone smaller. 

To OP:  This is the bracket with 5 holes.  Think of big/creative/legal washers under the car in order to keep your seat

safe in place as the floor alone will not be able to hold it on rearward impact. 

sparco_490.jpg

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

I also have the Sparco Pro ADV.  I got the larger size.  It's a good seat.  I find it very comfortable.  Comfortable enough to drive 3 hours to the track - which I've done. I wear a size 42 biz suit and have a 36" waist and fit very comfortably in the seat.  Probably a bit too comfortably.  There is room in there.

I'm not sure if the seat is centered to the steering wheel in my car.  It never bothered me so I never checked.  The cage builder did not need to touch the tranny tunnel though.  Might gain some space from the door if the seat was mounted further inside the car.  Maybe.

Dislikes:

It is big.  The shoulder wing does hit the door.  The halo is too wide so my head can make contact with the downtube before the left side halo.  The window net is right up against it.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably try a Race Tech.  At the time, I couldn't find a Race Tech to test fit my fat ass into and the Sparco was being offered at $850 out the door from a local race shop so I got it.

Most of these seats are pretty tall.  All of them that I've seen, the rear is mounted within 1/4" of the floor boards.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

The seat itself seems good, but I personally have problems with it.  The seat is simply too big for my 30-31 waist.  The shoulder area is super wide to a point I actually move around in the seat when driving through rough right/lefts.  More, there are 2 race tracks in NorthEast that kill my lower back in that seat.  I can't go for more than 1 hour at Watkins Glen without feeling some major pain.  I may need to use some foam, but I don't think that's how it should work. 

There is also one safety related thing I noticed: the left shoulder sits right on the door/pillar/cage.  That was not the case when I looked at cars with RaceTech seats.  They have about 2 inch of space there, which works as a cushion in case of impact.  So long story short, the seat seems too big for the car and someone smaller. 

I just bought a Sabelt Taurus Medium.  Fits me like a glove, can't wait to get on track with it.  I'm 5'6", 145, 31 in waist.  Now if I can just get the thing installed.....  Should be better than my outgoing Momo Start (t-frame).

For those who haven't seen it, if you need to notch the transmission tunnel, Drago has come up with a very elegant solution that's in the store section that doesn't require welding.

Also, the drago seat bracket is very nice and I have one on order.  The L-shaped Planted one is too short for my seat.  Barely gets into any of the bolts.  My vendor sent me a fancy momo aluminum that is the "offset" style.  As many other posts have pointed out, those don't work well.  So, the drago design is similar to the planted, but is taller allowing for much more adjustability depending on space constraints.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Hey guys thanks for the input on the Sparco, Pro ADV, I have a Sparco Circuit pro in my car now, i am building a new car and i think its very close to the Pro ADV, i am a little bigger 5'11 200 lbs 34 inch waist  and when i sat in the Pro ADV it felt perfect for me. My Circuit pro is a tight fit in the car too, but it fits.

I am under the impression they only make one size seat so if I am wrong Alberto correct me, you said you got the large size, do you know if there was size options.

You hate to make a bad choice since they are $999.99.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Hey guys thanks for the input on the Sparco, Pro ADV, I have a Sparco Circuit pro in my car now, i am building a new car and i think its very close to the Pro ADV, i am a little bigger 5'11 200 lbs 34 inch waist  and when i sat in the Pro ADV it felt perfect for me. My Circuit pro is a tight fit in the car too, but it fits.

I am under the impression they only make one size seat so if I am wrong Alberto correct me, you said you got the large size, do you know if there was size options.

You hate to make a bad choice since they are $999.99.

I'm 5'9", 190 lbs, 36" w.  The seat does feel good.  There are size options.  Well, there were anyway when I got mine (from Wine Country Motorsports).  I just looked on Sparco's web site and the seat looks a bit different.  Even the halo doesn't look as bulky as mine.  Mine looks more like the one on the SafeRacer site.  Sparco probably made tweeks since I got mine in late 2010. 

The Pro ADV is definitely more 'roomy' than the Circuit while maintaining what I believe is the same or similar general measurements.  Especially on the seat bottom since the seat bottom flares outward toward your knees providing more space for the family jewels and easier legwork on the pedals in the car. 

The halo is the only thing that really bothers me on this seat.  My shoulders aren't wide enough that the wing touching the door bothers me too much.  The net touching the halo is a bit of an inconvenience when attaching the window net but I'm used to it now. 

FWIW, with holidays and black friday coming up, you may want to wait to see if some deals pop up - like that 850 deal I got on mine.  I think I bought it thanksgiving weekend when Wine Country had a sale.  I got it in red b/c it adds HP (of course). :)

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

I'm 5'9", 190 lbs, 36" w.  The seat does feel good.  There are size options.  Well, there were anyway when I got mine (from Wine Country Motorsports).  I just looked on Sparco's web site and the seat looks a bit different.  Even the halo doesn't look as bulky as mine.  Mine looks more like the one on the SafeRacer site.  Sparco probably made tweeks since I got mine in late 2010. 

The Pro ADV is definitely more 'roomy' than the Circuit while maintaining what I believe is the same or similar general measurements.  Especially on the seat bottom since the seat bottom flares outward toward your knees providing more space for the family jewels and easier legwork on the pedals in the car. 

The halo is the only thing that really bothers me on this seat.  My shoulders aren't wide enough that the wing touching the door bothers me too much.  The net touching the halo is a bit of an inconvenience when attaching the window net but I'm used to it now. 

FWIW, with holidays and black friday coming up, you may want to wait to see if some deals pop up - like that 850 deal I got on mine.  I think I bought it thanksgiving weekend when Wine Country had a sale.  I got it in red b/c it adds HP (of course). :)

Good Idea there are some good deals then. Appreciate the input. I have the same problem  with the circuit pro is that your legs are jammed together and makes it hard to left foot brake among the other problems of keeping the "Brothers" comfortable.

Frank

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

... the other problems of keeping the "Brothers" comfortable.

Frank

They conjoined twins or something?

• FTodaro likes this

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

One more thing.  Double check the overall height at the back of the seat and compare to your existing seat.  Friend of mine recently bought a new [different model] Sparco and it was too tall to fit in his car.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Sparco PRO ADV has only one size.  Go to Sparco USA http://www.sparcousa...product/pro-adv and hit: Seat Dimensions Chart to get all the parameters for the seat. 

Check out other seats as well.  Momo, Cobra, OMP, and many others sell halo seats. 

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
We also have the Pro ADV. We had an option of 2 sizes...don't remember if it was L or M, or M or S. Wine Country ordered In the smaller for us and what was funny was the only difference in size was thicker padding/foam...seat structure was the same. The seat is a little wide at the shoulder wings and to avoid cutting the door it will require tunnel work and be off center...but a nice seat for the price point!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny C

Johnny C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:South east
  • Car Number:477

hello everyone, 

i have the ADV in my car. i'm a "bigger guy" 36-38 pants size. the adv fits me perfect for the street/track days events i use the car for. it was a challenge to get the seat into the car. if i had a track only car i would do a circit II. it fits me a little tighter, but the shoulder area is smaller than the ADV. it would bolt into a miata allot easier.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users