alfapwr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:831

Hi everyone,

What data acquisition system is popular here on the west coast, particularly So Cal ?  I will hopefully be getting some coaching soon and I need to get something installed before that happens.

I have looked at Traqmate - the modularity seems nice, although the traqdash can't quite replace all the gauges.

The RLC racing system seems really advanced, but I don't know if it is a widely used system.

I will be using my GoPro Hero2 with whatever I buy.

Looking forward to lots of responses.

Dan

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Racekeeper is a great system also.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Go with whoever is around you that you can share data with---AIM-Traqmate come to mind...  The sharing of the data (AT TIMES) is more important then the brand IMO.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I think many out west are on AIM? I agree with what Mike said, it is important to be able to look and use others data whenever you can
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I agree with Mike and Jim, use what your friends use. Especially if your friends are a little faster than you

Dave

• svvs and Michael Colangelo like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Hi everyone,

What data acquisition system is popular here on the west coast, particularly So Cal ?  I will hopefully be getting some coaching soon and I need to get something installed before that happens.

I have looked at Traqmate - the modularity seems nice, although the traqdash can't quite replace all the gauges.

The RLC racing system seems really advanced, but I don't know if it is a widely used system.

I will be using my GoPro Hero2 with whatever I buy.

Looking forward to lots of responses.

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the SoCal SM community. 

From what I've seen among the SCCA and NASA SM racers here in SoCal, most folks appear to use AiM products.  I use a Mychron 3 XG Log as well as an AiM Solo.  I use the AiM Solo because it has GPS that my XG Log doesn't have.  I highly recommend the AiM Solo.  Great value and it's portable from one car to another.

Mike Ferrara

Mike Ferrara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Rocky Mtn.
  • Car Number:53

I agree with what Michael said. Here in Utah our group uses Aim Solos. They are portable and have a magnet on the back so you can literally just put in someone else's car and have data from them.

Mike

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Donor - Made PayPal donation We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

I am not in the SM crowd but I use an Aim Solo DL with a Smarty cam in the Mazda 2.  The data from the OBDII along with the GPS data gives me more than enough info.

-Derrick

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Do not bother with the AIM Solo DL for your 1993. The Solo (without the DL) will be all you need. The DL has an OBD2 link that works on 99 and new cars only. SO for your 93 it would be money spent on something your car does not have the capability of using.

Also note that either SOLO uses the same software as every AIM system. So you can compare your data to someone having a full blown data system.

Dave

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Dan,

We run an AIM system and would be glad to share.  We also run a pretty quick 1.6 miata so data will be useful.    We run most of the SOCAL tracks

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Do not bother with the AIM Solo DL for your 1993. The Solo (without the DL) will be all you need. The DL has an OBD2 link that works on 99 and new cars only. SO for your 93 it would be money spent on something your car does not have the capability of using.

Also note that either SOLO uses the same software as every AIM system. So you can compare your data to someone having a full blown data system.

Dave

I would only add that if the AiM SmartyCamHD (SCHD) video solution is considered, the SoloDL will connect and share data with the SCHD for the track map, lap times, speed, etc graphical overlays where the standard Solo does not provide this connection.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

I would only add that if the AiM SmartyCamHD (SCHD) video solution is considered, the SoloDL will connect and share data with the SCHD for the track map, lap times, speed, etc graphical overlays where the standard Solo does not provide this connection.

Great suggestion, I will keep that in mind for my customers who use AIM

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Number:47

We use the smarty cam as well as an MXL Dash in one car and the Solo and smarty cam in the other.

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

My understanding was that even for 99+ cars, the OBDii interface communicated too slowly to be worthwhile using the DL.   Only good for 2006+.  Perhaps that has changed.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

My understanding was that even for 99+ cars, the OBDii interface communicated too slowly to be worthwhile using the DL.   Only good for 2006+.  Perhaps that has changed.

Your understanding is correct. For the Mazda Miata pre-2006 cars, the OBDII/ECU stream of data is at 1Hz (as I recall) which is great for diagnostic purposes but not for data analysis so we do not have the protocol available to grab the data. This has not changed and is not likely to change.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

Loads of AIM in the NW.  Not sure I've seen anything but AIM.  With Roger's support, how can you go wrong :)

• Michael Colangelo likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

alfapwr

alfapwr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:831

Well, It sounds like I have my answer.  And the least expensive one too!

I guess the next question is who has the best price ?  Any preferred vendors ?  Anyone with a used one to sell?

Thanks a LOT !

Dan

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Well, It sounds like I have my answer.  And the least expensive one too!

I guess the next question is who has the best price ?  Any preferred vendors ?  Anyone with a used one to sell?

Thanks a LOT !

Dan

I got mine from Iron Canyon Motorsports in Santa Clarita.
http://www.ironcanyo...s/aim-solo.html

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I use Traqmate...  I got mine from this little but reliable vendor who happens to race SM...  :wave2:   Racepak, Traqmate & AIM are on the site.

• Michael Colangelo and Derrick Ambrose like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

marcusmazza

marcusmazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:13

How is the AIM Solo software? Is it the same software they use with their more expensive systems? I've used both Traqmate and Race Technology software. Is the AIM software comparible? Is there a demo copy? The system itself looks great, especially for the price. Being able to swap it to a different car quickly is also a major plus. I'm looking to buy a system this winter, and was leaning toward the Race Technology system, but the AIM Solo has got me thinking again.

Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users