- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

The key to the heat cycling process, whether it be on a car or a machine (like we do also), is that the tire is allowed to cool SLOWLY to ambient temperature. We cover all our heat cycled tires with thermal blankets so that they slowly cool to ambient temp before they are shipped. The reason we have such great success with our heat cycled tires. 

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

Based upon my experiences at Palm Beach, I found that SM7s did not fall off during a race like the SM6s did.

I did an initial heat cycle during warm up on Saturday by scrubbing (back and forth) the tires at relatively slow speed and intermittently braking hard to raise temps. I ran faster and faster laps (about 8/10s) for about 4 laps and 1 lap at 9/10s and stopped and put the tires away until Sunday (24 hours). Danny Steyn and Forrest Landy also did this so they can report their experiences.

During the Sunday 40 minute race, the tires held their grip much better than my experience with SM6s. This was particularly good because the Palm Beach track usually eats tires up fast. I look forward to using the SM7s the rest of the year.

Sebring's Sunday race only had a few hot laps (see forum posts and videos elsewhere) and I used those tires for the Saturday Palm Beach (30 Minute) race because they had cured all week. They held up OK but still fell off a bit more than I thought the SM7s did during the 40 minute race the next day. Also, FWIW, I pushed the tires harder Sunday because I ran faster.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users