• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

wow.

SM
1. #13196 (Club Racing Board ) The Future of Spec Miata
The CRB is discussing the future of Spec Miata. The current average age of Spec Miatas competing in the SCCA is 17+ years
with most 1.6 cars being 25 years old. The CRB is discussing the possible introduction of the 2006 and newer MX5 into the class.
If this would be appropriate, when and how should we introduce this car into the class?
Please send all comments through the

CRB letter system at crbscca.com

Also big ups to hoover for wanting to get a miata into T1.  That would be wild to watch.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

The beauty of the MX-5 in SM5 is being able to keep ABS, P/S and other goodies as well as the Spec motor.  I can't imagine this would be the case if allowed into SM...

I think over time, as the number of MX-5 builds increase, there will be enough to have a national class for them.  Until then, they look like a different animal than SM.  I really struggled with going to an SM5 build this year but opted for a 2002 to remain in the class.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The beauty of the MX-5 in SM5 is being able to keep ABS, P/S and other goodies as well as the Spec motor.  I can't imagine this would be the case if allowed into SM...

I think over time, as the number of MX-5 builds increase, there will be enough to have a national class for them.  Until then, they look like a different animal than SM.  I really struggled with going to an SM5 build this year but opted for a 2002 to remain in the class.

Thank you Jim Cramer, It's currently a hold with great prospects, correct ?? :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Hell yeah.  Same with Spec Volt.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

I kind of feel the same way.  The SM5 cars are like a step up from SM.....that class will grow as folks build new cars.  I'm betting at the MARRS races there will be 10ish cars per race.

If when my 1.6 ever dies and I'm still in a position to be racing, I'd probably build a SM5.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I kind of feel the same way.  The SM5 cars are like a step up from SM.....that class will grow as folks build new cars.  I'm betting at the MARRS races there will be 10ish cars per race.

If when my 1.6 ever dies and I'm still in a position to be racing, I'd probably build a SM5.

:thumbsup: And that's when Jim Cramer does the buy signal. :)

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

wow.

SM
The current average age of Spec Miatas competing in the SCCA is 17+ years
with most 1.6 cars being 25 years old.

And to the Club Racing Board, here is a question. How many of each year 1990 through 2005 Miatas are currently racing in Spec Miata? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Up in our neck of the woods the Major / National races are almost all 99-02 cars. The 1.6 and 1.8 cars are mostly regional cars.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

(Summary of letter sent to crb)

I fully support the motion to include the 2006+ MX5 into SM, with the goal of returning SM to a single generation platform. Current SM5 should be consolidated into SM and the SM5 ruleset should be used. All drivetrain components should be sealed. 1990-2005 SMs should be reclassified to IT classes. Sooner is better, re, 2015.

Let's put the spec back in Spec Miata.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Said ^ with Ebenezer Scrroge hat firmly on.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Bench, for once I'm completely serious. This is a prime opportunity to wipe the slate clean and learn from past mistakes.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

(Summary of letter sent to crb)

I fully support the motion to include the 2006+ MX5 into SM, with the goal of returning SM to a single generation platform. Current SM5 should be consolidated into SM and the SM5 ruleset should be used. All drivetrain components should be sealed. 1990-2005 SMs should be reclassified to IT classes. Sooner is better, re, 2015.

Let's put the spec back in Spec Miata.

As usual Denny misunderstands what Spec means. He truly wants Show Room Stock Sealed Miata.
Spec Miata is more Spec than it has ever been. Spec doesn't mean untouched it means built to a specification.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

wow.

SM
The CRB is discussing the future of Spec Miata. The current average age of Spec Miatas competing in the SCCA is 17+ years
with most 1.6 cars being 25 years old. The CRB is discussing the possible introduction of the 2006 and newer MX5 into the class.
If this would be appropriate, when and how should we introduce this car into the class?
Please send all comments through the

CRB letter system at crbscca.com

Also big ups to hoover for wanting to get a miata into T1.  That would be wild to watch.

wow is right....seriously people?  How on earth do you think we can actually get parity from a completely different platform (06+ cars).

For those who've never worked on one, they are a completely different animal.  While there are similarities from 1990 through 2005 in terms of chassis and drivetrain design, Mazda did a clean sheet of paper when building the NC car.

Tell you what....lets just f%^& up the class more and make it Spec Mazda.  Yep, any Mazda.  You want to run an RX7 in SM? Sure just disconnect the two trail spark plug wires for parity.  Oh...you have a Protégé?  Sure no problem we can get you up to speed with a miller cycle engine mounted where the back seat used to be!!!!!

C'mon already! 

There are countless other stupid SCCA classes that you can screw up if you want to.

LEAVE SPEC MIATA ALONE TO 1990-2005 MODEL YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

And don't give me this B.S. that we're somehow running out of cars to build.  There were over 299,000 Miatas sold in the U.S. alone from 1990-2005 according to official Mazda records:

http://www.miata.net...MY1990-2006.pdf

SM5 will grow on its own and find its spot within the club. 

Suddenly the club is worried about the age of our cars yet the club still allows relics from 50-60 years ago run in the production categories. 

We're better than this.

We're smarter than this.

Write to the CRB!

• DrDomm likes this

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Whether you think this is a great idea, a terrible idea or an inevitable one but nothing we need to do for the next few years... You really need to send in your opinion on this matter as you know your class better than anyone else.Your input here is very important.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

ABS and power steering sucks!! Power steering sucks less. Viva simplicity.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

let me go ahead and give you the official response!!!!  

Thank you for your input!!!!!

The club could not make it more then a year financially if it changed spec miata in that magnitude, without the unanamous support of those racing int he class!]

K. Webb