• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

GregHub

GregHub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:NorCal

Another SM newbie here, just bought my'93 already-prepped SM, and now looking at making sure my garage is stocked with at least the minimum essential tools to maintain, set up, and prep the car for entry-level racing starting in 2014. I'm hoping to put together a list of the minimum tools and equipment you need to be safe, meet the regs, keep the car on the track, and avoid unnecessary repairs and expenses, but not necessarily run up front.

(Sorry, I suspect some of this information may already be located somewhere on the site but my searches didn't turn anything up so I thought I'd start a topic thread.)

I'm hoping to put together one list of the "must have" tools (like tire pressure gauge, torque wrench, etc.) and another list of the "nice to have tools" (more sophisticated alignment equipment?), so I can work on getting the stuff I need right away and compile items to go on my already-lengthy racing wish list for later down the line.

Just an FYI that I'll be one of those crazies who's going to be driving his SM to and from the track, so at times I'll be packing all my track tools and any spares in the car with me. I'm in the Bay Area, so I'll be running mostly at Infineon and occasionally at Laguna Seca and Thunderhill, starting with NASA and hopefully branching out to SCCA events later on. I'll be trying to do most of the basic prep and maintenance of the car myself, except for tasks that involve more advanced machinery (I ran Formula Ford for a few years way back when, but most of my mechanical skills are a bit dormant!).

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

If you do not have it as yet, Dave Wheeler's (Advanced Autosports) "The Spec Miata Constructors Manual" is a good starting point. From there you can figure what you need, and what you want - and what you can carry.

• GROOTS likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Open this address http://mazdaracers.com/files/

Read/understand "Repack Hubs" and "Set Up".
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
A small trailer to tow behind the car to carry tires and tools
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Four Jack stands and an aluminum harbor freight jack

Good ratchet set.  Also then get a 22 mm, 23 mm, 24mm, and whichever size you need for your hub nuts.  Make sure you have long sockets, and also a 1/2" ratchet in the mix.  I have one of those craftsman sets in the case all orgainzed and nice

Battery operated impact gun

1/2" breaker bar...3/4" is nice but limited space...

Torque wrench and tire pressure gauge

air tank would be nice, but if space is limited you can always find the compressor at the track.

That should all fit in your trunk pretty easily.   Even though I keep my car in an enclosed trailer, all that stuff is usually in my trunk so I can roll the car out and get right to work.

Good luck!  Congrats on the purhase!

• mhiggins10 likes this

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

you're going to have to figure out how to get 4 or 8 track tires to the track with you.. you don't' want to drive to the track with them.

I suggest you rent a tow dolly for the weekend from U-haul almost any vehicle will tow a miata..

• David L likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Though Greg and I have exchanged emails I will throw in a couple ideas. Tire tail on a tow hitch works for many! Vic's list is good for all the basics. I would add I rarely use sockets anymore...I have a long set of open/box wrenches from HF($20) and a set of ratcheting wrenches. There is another racer in Oakland who also drives his car....Ray Meister...you might search him on here and send him a pm on his car packing skills! The other thing that many overlook is to quickly make the rounds at the track and introduce yourself to any and everyone you can meet! You never know who may be able to help out in a pinch...or who may have what you need that you can't carry yourself! Most are always willing to help out when they can!

Welcome to the region! You won't be disappointed in your choice of race groups!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Ron, Greg's been making the rounds with the usual suspects. :)

Greg,

I'd say talk to Brandon.  He probably has a good list of must haves for people that drive to the track.  usually, none of us has everything but rely on other friends and racers to carry the stuff we might not have or need regularly (like drift punches).

If I were putting together a list of minimal tools required so that you aren't mooching off people for everything, I'd recommend as follows:

- lug wrench or battery powered gun for the lug nuts

- small harbor freight aluminum jack since you'll need all the space for wheels and tools and such

- 2-3 jack stands for changing wheels - check with Brandon

- 1/2" drive torque wrench (Sears works)

- deep 17mm 1/2" drive socket - assuming your lugs are 17mm

- 14mm socket in 3/8 and 1/2" drive

- 12mm socket in 3/8 drive

- 10mm socket in 3/8 drive

- 17mm socket in 3/8 and 1/2 drive

- 3" extention in 3/8 and /12

- 6" extention in 3/8

- 2 screwdrivers

- crescent wrenches in 14, 12, 10, 8 (brake caliper bleed),  17 mm

- set of metric allen wrenches - good for rear brake adjuster (if it's there) and other bits and bobs

- pliers for pressing caliper pistons, hose clamps, air intake clamps

This should cover most basic maintenance you would need to do at the track.  Actually, you could probably disassemble and reassemble the whole car with this basic set of tools. :)

In addition to this you'll need a 23 and 24 mm wrenches or sockets for the diff and tranny oil.  A 21mm is also helpful for the lower control arm long bolt but you'll hopefully not need that often... 

A big fudging hammer and pry bar is also useful on occasion. ;)

The SM racers in both NASA and SCCA are all pretty social and helpful so pit next to people and get to know them. 

Let me know when you're ready and we can go over the car to ensure everything is ready to race.

GregHub

GregHub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

This is really helpful you guys, thanks. I was actually looking more for a list of garage tools to have on hand at home, but the suggestions about what to bring to the track when space is limited are useful as well. 

Would you suggest any specialized alignment tools at the beginning? I'm trying to keep my aspirations (and the demands on my time and budget) modest, at least to start.

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Even though you are on a budget, I would suggest you get the car corner balanced and weighed prior to your first race.  You didn't mention whether you have a current license.  If you are starting with NASA, it might take you awhile to get through their process for a license, so don't worry about the balancing and weight until you are actually racing.  I think that the string type alignment tools are the least expensive.  You will want someone to walk you through the process at least once so you can see how changing one thing affects others.  Again, if you are going to be doing HPDE's and/or PDX, then just have somebody do it for you and don't worry about doing it yourself until you begin racing.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

FYI, most/many of use use TFB for alignment, corner balancing and car setup

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

Just an FYI that I'll be one of those crazies who's going to be driving his SM to and from the track, so at times I'll be packing all my track tools and any spares in the car with me.

Being probably the longest-standing drive-to-the-track guy here, I heartily suggest NOT bothering to carry everything in the car -- it'll get out of control immediately!  Instead, rig a removable hitch, and set up a little Harbor Freight trailer for track use.  You'll find you really can have everything you need with you, including spare tires, and it's not at all hard to manage.

BTW, I used to just drive the race tires to the track, which worked very well, but that was in the Toyo days.

GregHub

GregHub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks Glenn. I don't have a current license but with my past racing experience it sounds like I'll just have to do an evaluation day with NASA to get my license. So I'll do at least one HPDE day (more if it I think I need that to be more comfortable/confident before racing).

I do remember the alignment process, and the constant readjustments, from back when I was running FF, but I think some of the equipment available is a bit more advanced now. And I suspect aligning a production car is a bit different even though the goals are similar.

What equipment would you recommend for the corner balancing? And for alignment? Or is corner balancing and weighing something that entry-level guys are typically going to someone else's shop for?

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Corner balancing requires scales that are pretty expensive for the weekend racer.  It's a process of getting the ride height right, and then adjusting the shocks to try and get to an even weight distribution on all four corners with the driver weight in the seat.  If you want to go "all in" then the equipment can be bought.  I still have somebody else do my balancing and alignment.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:08

If you're looking for an inexpensive but good starter tool kit, pick up http://www.sears.com.../p-00939204000P

for $150 on sale.

I just grabbed one to augment my track tool set and I'm really impressed with the quality. All 6-point sockets and all the way up to 24mm.

GregHub

GregHub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

BTW, Alberto compiled a great basic Spec Miata tools list for his most recent blog post, available here (along with many more posts useful for a newbie):

http://blog.miatarac...spec-miata.html

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Greg,

If your going to try a little leap frog in the NASA process, you might try and reach out to Craig Evans...SM director for NASA and get his input. You may also consider getting your SCCA license at the FEB school. Cheap track time and a license that will get you a rookie license in SCCA and that NASA will also accept for your rookie status.
  • Alberto likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Thanks Glenn. I don't have a current license but with my past racing experience it sounds like I'll just have to do an evaluation day with NASA to get my license. So I'll do at least one HPDE day (more if it I think I need that to be more comfortable/confident before racing).

I do remember the alignment process, and the constant readjustments, from back when I was running FF, but I think some of the equipment available is a bit more advanced now. And I suspect aligning a production car is a bit different even though the goals are similar.

What equipment would you recommend for the corner balancing? And for alignment? Or is corner balancing and weighing something that entry-level guys are typically going to someone else's shop for?

Most of the entry level guys are not doing setup at the track.  Some but few of the more serious guys at the front are - especially in a Majors/Nationals points race (in SFR).  In SCCA, I don't see many SM racers coming in with scales and such for setup at the track.  I do see some guys (like Brian Ghidinelli) using some sort of string setup to adjust his alignment.  In NASA, TFB is typically in the pits doing setup and alignment. 

Conversely, I do see a fair amount of the open wheel racers with scales adjusting their setup trackside in SFR SCCA. 

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
TFB has done no trackside alignments in over a year...FYI. No longer an option...plan ahead!

Ron

RAmotorsports

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Alberto has a good list to get the OP going.  The Craftsman sets are pretty good and the Kobalt and HF tools are good buys for the money though I'm still addicted to the tool truck...

There are a few other things for the garage that I used tonight as I'm putting the rear suspension back on that I find handy.

Snap ring pliers, not an absolute have for many things but makes it much easier.

Flare nut wrenches.  Combination wrenches work well on the line fittings but it's easy to round them off if you torque them a bit too much.

Drift pin punch.  Great for hanging suspension parts or if you need to wail on something that you need punched through a hole.  Like a rusty suspension bolt.

Tap set for chasing and dressing threads.  You can get some cheap ones at HF though if you are going to be cutting threads it could make sense to just get the sizes you need in a better quality make.  The cheapies work great for restoring threads or cleaning them.  

If all else fails out at the Bullring one of the Bomber stock guys had a saying that anything on the car could be fixed with vise grips, racer tape, JB weld, a saw and a hammer.  He vise gripped his alternator to the stripped mount with a vise grip wrapped in a bunch of gray duct tape.  It doesn't get any more redneck than that...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, essential, recommended, maintenance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users