Scott Malbon

Scott Malbon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Blue Ridge
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:52
Building a 99 and making sure I have all he allowable modifications and parts. Just received the "timing wheel" from Mazdaspeed needed to adjust the timing on the 99. It is not what I expected. So how do I use it to adjust the timing?

Scott

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Are the bolts holes just a circle or have they been elongated? I don't know what MazdaSpeed is selling, but my bet is you got a factory timing wheel.

If you just have circular holes, they need to be slotted by just a little bit so you can "adjust" the wheel CW. You'll need a timing light to set the correct timing you are targetting to hit.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5
We just got our shipment of our brand of adjustable 99 timing wheels in delivered yesterday, I'll be doing a "how-to" install write up for our site within the week. I guess I can add it to this site as well, I will do that as well. Hopefully it will help out everyone wondering how to install their wheels.

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
Mazda(speed) is selling an adjustable wheel (painted bright red) with elongated holes. Same thing you can do to your own wheel with a dremel, but it's red! Looks pretty in the engine bay. :) This is a new part just recently added at the beginning of the year.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
From 2011 GCR

For 1999-2005 model years only, it is permitted to alter
the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the
crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel.

According to the rule "as written", it is not permisable to replace the timing wheel with an aftermarket wheel.

At the last SMAC meeting I attended, the intent from the SCCA was that the only allowable aftermarket wheel must be purchased from Mazda and will have a Mazda part number. Aftermarket wheels from other vendors would be non-compliant. I do not agree with this policy, but am willing to abid by it. I do not know what NASA's rule says.

As many of you have contacted me about timing wheels, I had planned to sell them but have decided not to based on the intended SCCA rules.

Hopefully the SMAC will correct the wording at their next conference call

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
On a related topic. the pully wheel on my 1999 has two timing marks a white one and then just to left of it(if your looking at the motor from the front is a gold or yellow mark. Is the white one the timing mark?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

From 2011 GCR

For 1999-2005 model years only, it is permitted to alter
the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the
crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel.

According to the rule "as written", it is not permisable to replace the timing wheel with an aftermarket wheel.

At the last SMAC meeting I attended, the intent from the SCCA was that the only allowable aftermarket wheel must be purchased from Mazda and will have a Mazda part number. Aftermarket wheels from other vendors would be non-compliant. I do not agree with this policy, but am willing to abid by it. I do not know what NASA's rule says.

As many of you have contacted me about timing wheels, I had planned to sell them but have decided not to based on the intended SCCA rules.

Hopefully the SMAC will correct the wording at their next conference call

Dave

NASAs wording: 12.5.3 For 1999-2005 model years only, it is permitted to alter the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel

Personally I see no problem with an aftermarket wheel, I'll get official clarification though. Maybe a min weight needs to be spec'ed. Does anyone have several OEM wheels and can weigh them?
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

NASAs wording: 12.5.3 For 1999-2005 model years only, it is permitted to alter the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel

Personally I see no problem with an aftermarket wheel, I'll get official clarification though. Maybe a min weight needs to be spec'ed. Does anyone have several OEM wheels and can weigh them?

Do you really think that the weight of the timing wheel will make a difference? The stock wheel can only weight a couple of ounces, they are already pretty light.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Do you really think that the weight of the timing wheel will make a difference? The stock wheel can only weight a couple of ounces, they are already pretty light.

Agreed. I'm trying to figure out why an aftermarket wheel would not be okay.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Gotcha.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

An aftermarket wheel would not be legal because of the: "If it does not say you can, then you can not" rule.

I have no issues with aftermarket wheels. My issue is with the wording in the GCR

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

It may only be noise on the dyno to replace the stock wheel with a light weight one but for those looking for every advantage it would be another item on the list. My stock wheel weighs 8.6 ounces.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
From the perspective of a business owner that directly supplies aftermarket parts for Spec Miata racecars, I hate the SCCA decision to change that rule wording. Especially for a part that will make no difference if it comes from Mazdaspeed or somewhere else.

I am glad NASA is taking the logical approach to this wording change and is not following suit, especially because they encourage aftermarket support in their classes. Closing off certain parts from aftermarket support is a mistake in the long run, as companies like mine that research, prototype, and develop race car parts, and think Spec Miata is a good market to do this in, will be forced to look into a different class for our Miatas with non-SCCA mandated parts installed.

I agree with Dave, this makes no sense, but on the other end of the spectrum I am not letting the rule wording cramp our product development and have a timing wheel available that will be NASA legal at least and is something every 99+ street Miata owner or track day participant can use despite the SCCA rules.

Sorry for the rant, this rule pissed me off when I read the fastrack.

Mine are bright green, so they won't be confused with the "SCCA legal" ones!

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12

It may only be noise on the dyno to replace the stock wheel with a light weight one but for those looking for every advantage it would be another item on the list. My stock wheel weighs 8.6 ounces.

I know on my GTS BMW I had lightweight accessory pullies and a lightweight flywheel. Anything to reduce rotating mass and overall weight sounds like an advantage to me. Its a slippery slope.

For the same reason, I didn't like the idea of an aftermarket chin spoiler that's anything but the exact same weight as the OEM. I spent hours trying to remove weight from the ends of my BMW and move it to the middle.

"Mind the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves."
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
While I agree with Kyle that "Mind the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.", out of curiosity I just weighed our timing wheel and it came in at 9.0 ounces exact. Sorry everyone, there goes the "lightweight pulley improving performance theory" as Trimless's stock wheel came in at 8.6 ounces, assuming it was totally free of dirt/oil buildup. I am quite sure ours weigh the exact same as Mazdaspeeds too.

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

While I agree with Kyle that "Mind the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.", out of curiosity I just weighed our timing wheel and it came in at 9.0 ounces exact. Sorry everyone, there goes the "lightweight pulley improving performance theory" as Trimless's stock wheel came in at 8.6 ounces, assuming it was totally free of dirt/oil buildup. I am quite sure ours weigh the exact same as Mazdaspeeds too.

Does it really matter since the only place there is any real tech is at the national races! Where lots of racers never intend to race anyway!

K. Webb