Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:130

Ok so I know the 1.6s aren't the best for pretty much anything (that I've read) but that is what I have to work with. The car is now in spec trim but I am slowly trying to convert into an ITA car. Right now as the car sits in my garage the motor is bone stock bought from MAZDASPEED, new throttle body and I am getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator built by 5x racing right now. I have been scowling the internet to try and find the best inside tricks and ways to get the most power out of what I have and what "power adders" I can get to get the most out of my little motor. I know I can switch to a stand alone ecu system and I am working on trying to find the best one. Any advice on what, or what not to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you're input! 

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:37

Hi Garrett,

I sent you a PM.  I'm happy to share what I learned last year campaigning my 1.6 in ITA in 95% SM form (and the migration plans in mind...)

• Garrett Richardson likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Cheat it up. NOBODY techs ITA :devil:

• trimless likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

First thing: go to a standalone ECU. Megasquirt is great (and cheap). My old car had one and I liked it.

The car I bought last year has a Haltech and it's also great. Both will let you get rid of the flapper intake thingy by switching to MAP for air measurement.

Standalone also lets you raise your rev limiter, which can be helpful in avoiding some shifts.

I'm not an engine guru, but I'm not sure what an AFPR buys you that you can't do with a standalone.

Jeremy Mizer

Jeremy Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:NeOhio
  • Car Number:23

My understanding of the IT rules is that you have to use the stock AFM. 

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Good point, I didn't phrase that well.

Jeremy Mizer

Jeremy Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

We are building a 92 miata for STL for next year and are going to use a Nemisis ECU.  They are about twice the cost of the Megasquirt, but are significantly more tunable.  Another plus of that unit is that all of the sensors are not built into the ECU so if you have something go wrong at the track, you can change out the outboard sensor and be back in business.  My understanding of the unit that have everything built in is if something goes wrong, you would need an entire spare ECU.

Im not a tuner or an engine guy, but that is what we have learned through our build.

Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Jeff and Jeremy, I was looking into getting the megasquirt standalone ECU, I just haven't made that purchase yet. That will probably be my next one though. Are there any things I should be aware of before running this aftermarket ECU in the car?

Jeremy Mizer

Jeremy Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

I think most of the ECUs come with a tune that will allow your car to start and run. 

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Yes, they'll come with a stock tune that will start the car, but you'll want to get it tuned on a dyno ASAP.

Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Alright that is what I will do I am just trying to find the best place to buy the Megasquirt PNP. Thanks for the help!

Garrett

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Best place would be http://www.diyautotu...rtpnp-c-40.html

since they make it.

Their service after the sale is great...I had a first-gen PNP that couldn't control the fan anymore. They repaired it for under $25.

swolfe

swolfe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Cheat it up. NOBODY techs ITA :devil:

I just got a 1.6 SM and I want to run in ITA.

This old thread: http://mazdaracers.c...gibility-tires/

Made me think a few things, e.g. depowered rack, weren't legal. Do you think I'd generally get away with it?

Any suggestions on ITA tires? I thought about running the Hoosiers so I could do SM as well if I wanted.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
It all depends.

If you run up front, expect to be looked at.
If you run in the northeast, mid-Atlantic, or southeast, expect to be told to fix it, and don't be surprised if paper is thrown. They take their IT very seriously and they are wary of crossover IT Miatas.
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ita, miata, 1.6, 1.6 motor, Improved touring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users