David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07

Hi all,

I am currently getting my car together. It doesn't look like I'll be ready for the comp school in March, but my dad is pushing me to get it ready so I am curious as to what else I need to be eligible for the school. Unfortunately, funds are limited so I had kind of written off making it to this school.  I am hoping to get some words of wisdom from you guys as to where to spend the money and what (if anything) can wait until after the school.

As it sits now the car has a Miatacage roll cage, race seat with back brace, harnesses (I need to check the date), steering lock deleted, aftermarket removable wheel, hood pins, and fresh brakes. The spec suspension kit showed up yesterday and will be going on it sometime in the next couple of weeks. 

I know I need to pick up all of the driver gear. All I have now is a helmet and hans device.

My questions:

1. Do I have to install a passenger seat? I have it, just haven't put it in yet.

2. There is a rust hole in the driver's side rocker. I know it's in the rules that they can't have rust, but would this prevent me from doing the comp school?

3. What else do I need to do to get the car ready?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newb questions,

David

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I'm assuming you are attending an SCCA school so the following applies only if that's true. [edit: Duh, it says SCCA in the post title, I'm O-tay.]

Do you have your membership? It was a long time ago for me but I seem to recall needing to get the school permit booklet and log-book ahead of time, contact your local region.

Also ask your local tech inspector if they will perform your annual tech before the school - minimizes unfortunate surprizes.

No passenger will be riding with you.

I recommend getting new alignment bolts/cams if yours are original to the car, and have a local tire shop do an alignment - have them max out negative camber. Don't set your ride-height too low. I suggest about 3/4" between top of shock and bottom of bump stop when the suspension is loaded.

Personally, I'd bondo the rust hole and spray it with the closest color of rustoleum. Add stickers as needed. Got SCCA stickers? Cut-off and fire bottle stickers?

Got transponder?

You must, must, must have someone, preferrably with previous club racing experience, to crew for you. You will not have time to work on the car yourself.

If your budget permits I recommend a second set of wheels and tires. Shiz happens and its nice to have a back-up so you can complete the school.

You have 5 weeks - that's plenty of time!

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

SCCA membership

Novice permit

Medical form signed by doctor

Have log book for the car, with a current annual inspection

Have all safety gear.  2005 Snell helmet or newer, fire suit, gloves, shoes, socks, Hans device

Don't worry about whether the car will be competitive or fast, just reliable.  If you don't get the spec suspension on it, no big deal.  The only real requirement for the car, at a school, is for safety and annual inspection.  The person who does your tech should have a supply of the required stickers.

Download the GCR - Primarily the safety and flag stuff at the front of the book.  There will be an open book test, so it will help to know how the GCR is laid out before you get there.

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Thank you!

I should have mentioned that it will be with SCCA at Summit Point. I'll try to get ahold of a tech inspector to figure that part out.

I'll get the alignment bolts ordered as I am sure the are original. The car came with a pretty messed up aftermarket susension. The rear sits way high compared to the front so I don't really want to go on track with it like that.

I have my physical this Thursday. I need to call SCCA to set up my membership because my address isn't in their system and it wouldn't let me register online.

I like the stickers to help cover up shady body work idea because me and bondo don't get along. It's also good to hear they have stickers at tech.

Is the cut off switch required for the school? The way I read the rules I thought it was advised but not required but I imagined it would be required.

I don't have a transponder. Where do I get it from?

I appreciate all the help.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Scroogle say Pegasus has transponders https://www.pegasusa....asp?RecID=3061 (many other vendor options)

Get the hard wired one, not the rechargable (major PITA). They sell stickers too. 

Cut-off required, dont buy the POS Longacre plastic switch, get a metal one. Advanced-Autosport has a very helpful wiring guide (and sells cut-offs) Que Dave W in 3, 2, 1...

Got 2" min inside diameter tow-hook, or equivalent tow-straps?

There is a very nice lady who answers the phone at SCCA licensing. She goes above and beyond to help.

Also - totally optional - get a GoPro so you have something to show the grandkids. :optimist:

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Send me an email.  I'm the WDCR-SCCA Novice permit guy.  I also know a little about SM and have a National Tech License so I can help you get your car sorted.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Scroogle say Pegasus has transponders https://www.pegasusa....asp?RecID=3061 (many other vendor options)

Get the hard wired one, not the rechargable (major PITA). They sell stickers too. 

Cut-off required, dont buy the POS Longacre plastic switch, get a metal one. Advanced-Autosport has a very helpful wiring guide (and sells cut-offs) Que Dave W in 3, 2, 1...

Got 2" min inside diameter tow-hook, or equivalent tow-straps?

There is a very nice lady who answers the phone at SCCA licensing. She goes above and beyond to help.

Also - totally optional - get a GoPro so you have something to show the grandkids. :optimist:

I should have the cut off switch and tow hooks in the kit I got from Miatacage. I started building the car last winter but got sidetracked with buying a new house and haven't really touched the car until recently. Already have the GoPro, so the fun stuff is accounted for :).

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Send me an email.  I'm the WDCR-SCCA Novice permit guy.  I also know a little about SM and have a National Tech License so I can help you get your car sorted.

Thanks, Mike! I'll send you an email when I get home tonight.

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7

I got my car's first annual at Summit Point the day I arrived for the school 5 years ago.  The old guy had the thing to bang the logbook numbers into the cage bar.  I did the school solo and the only thing I would (now) have done differently is park closer to the classroom (up towards start/finish).  Funny: after our first or second session on Saturday, I had some really overly ambitious dudes associated with the school ask me to pop my hood so that they could check to see if I had my restrictor plate in the car (I did).  It's not required so why bother?  Leave yours out; it'll make the school more fun if you can pass cars at will on the front straight and/or get out of trouble quickly if you need to.  We (NER school instructors) don't use our plates when we're out with students and there are no rules pertaining to class adherence at a school as far as I know.  Just learn the flags and stay safe out there.  You can't win a school so let the crazies bang their cars up for no reason and just try to run clean.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I got my car's first annual at Summit Point the day I arrived for the school 5 years ago.  The old guy had the thing to bang the logbook numbers into the cage bar.  I did the school solo and the only thing I would (now) have done differently is park closer to the classroom (up towards start/finish).  Funny: after our first or second session on Saturday, I had some really overly ambitious dudes associated with the school ask me to pop my hood so that they could check to see if I had my restrictor plate in the car (I did).  It's not required so why bother?  Leave yours out; it'll make the school more fun if you can pass cars at will on the front straight and/or get out of trouble quickly if you need to.  We (NER school instructors) don't use our plates when we're out with students and there are no rules pertaining to class adherence at a school as far as I know.  Just learn the flags and stay safe out there.  You can't win a school so let the crazies bang their cars up for no reason and just try to run clean.

Thanks, I plan on having a buddy help me out that weekend but it is nice to know it  can be done alone. The car is a '91 and completely stock power wise. Hell, it still has the catalytic converter. I don't see myself passing anybody because of too much HP. Coming home with the car still in one piece is definitely priority number 1.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

If you do not have your annual before you get the the school you should make arrangements, before you go, to have someone do it there.  Don't show up and expect that there will be someone who can do it.  You might get lucky, but you might not.

wheel

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks wheel. Mike at Meathead told me to get ahold of him when I get there car done and he will help me get the tech part of things figured out.

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990

On another note, I highly recommend having Mike's guys support you for the school if you don't have sufficient crew.  They looked after my car and myself at last year's comp school and helped make it an a great experience and successful school.  Very much the easy button.  All around good guys and you get fed well too!

Thanks,

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users