Photo

Major compliance

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Compliance program for SM Majors races (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel the compliance checks at Majors are:

1. Just about right (3 votes [6.12%])

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

2. Not enough would like to see more (46 votes [93.88%])

Percentage of vote: 93.88%

3. Too much, I would to see less (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Would you like to see the compliance program come back for the majors races?

1. Yes (40 votes [81.63%])

Percentage of vote: 81.63%

2. No (1 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

3. It depends (8 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

4. I don't care I don't race majors (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What do you feel would be an appropriate fee for an sm specific compliance program per majors weekend in addition to your entry fee.

1. $25 (40 votes [81.63%])

Percentage of vote: 81.63%

2. $35 (2 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

3. $45 (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Just wondering what the general consensus is with majors compliance checks.
Let's see what you think. I have heard good and bad.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

I have several thoughts on this topic.  First and foremost I believe that tech is about validating the winners/leaders etc, not necessarily about catching someone.  If people and things get caught in the process then so be it.

The Majors are supposed to be Elite level events.  The drivers are certainly holding up their end of the bargain, but we have all read about some of the compliance checks at some of the Majors this year.  It is my opinion that every Majors event must at a minimum tech the following:

- Weight - Top 3 plus 5 random after EVERY qualifying and race session.  Qualifying times are too close to not weigh after qualifying.

- Fuel - Top 3 plus 3 random.  As stated earlier this year the at track DC test will catch the guys running/blending E85.

- Whistler - Top 3 plus 2 random after Races only.  I think it would take too much time after qualifying and probably not necessary.

- Hoods and Trunks Open - All cars during any impound.

- Restrictor Plates - Top 3 plus 3 random after every qualifying and race.  We could seal the plate after the first inspection of a weekend with the seal stickers.

- Computers - Top 3 plus 3 Random.  At a minimum a visual inspection of the box for evidence of tampering.  Winners at the end of the weekend should have computers sent off to be checked.  At some point SCCA had some sealed Mazda units that I think should be being used to swap out with the winners/podium from Saturday.

It is important to check some random cars as well.  If it's only the podium then what incentive is there for cars further back to stay compliant?

I am sure with all of the people on this board we could come up with a list of items that require very little time and/or impact on the tech staff.  Tools can be made, money can be found if needed to come up with the necessary items to perform an efficient reasonable tech at these Majors events.

My 1.5 cents.....  Sean

• Muda, Marc Cefalo and Bad Rusty like this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I voted yes but would like to see a box for $10.00 for fees  :)

• mellen likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Or better yet, use the additional sanction fees already being paid.....

• Muda likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I second everything Sean suggested.  We need more checks and checks on more people, not just podium.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
If we want more compliance than what is already provided.. Like our own compliance program, it would be at an additional cost. We can petition for more tech in general at the majors for all classes, but if we want our own program, there would be costs involved.

BTW, The tech we had at Sebring IMO ( all classes) was adequate. Not sure we could/should expect more than that less a protest or a specific program. I don't remember the specifics, but I know cars were weighed and whistled after qualifying and races. Some parts inspected, I honestly don't remember what else. I think they pulled manifolds or something after PBIR

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Combo tech package/$ with SRF ?

Major Adequate Compliance :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Hi Jim, So... What exactly are we getting for the increase in fees?  How are these different from Nationals last year?  Can we not ask for a basic consistent amount of tech without having to pay more for it?  Glad to hear Sebring tech was acceptable.

Not trying to start Sh&% or throw anyone under the bus, just want to continue to improve upon these elite level events.

Thanks.... Sean

• Rob Burgoon likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
That is probably a Butch question... But the purpose of the majors was to bunch competition. My description ( not the clubs) is that the Majors are what the Nationals USED to be. We developed way too many national races over the years and the competition became diluted. I think the majors have certainly increased competition in most cases. The podium ceremonies, live timing and scoring etc are all efforts to make the majors more elite of an event. I am sure we could do more and open to suggestions. Should there be a minimum level of tech at every major? Probably so. I think we exceeded "minimum" at our first two majors in the Eastern conference and sounds like perhaps they did not meet the expectations at the race on the west coast.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Somebody mentioned in Drago's Facebook post about this subject that the PCA Club Racing is testing electronic devices for tech compliance.  This is true.

I have been working with the PCA on creating a process to use AiM data loggers and then specialized data analysis tools to check for technical compliance. They debuted the system at Sebring last week and things went very well.  The officials and the racers were very happy after the very first weekend.

AiM Sports is also working with the CTCC (Canadian Touring Car Championship) where they also are using AiM data loggers for technical compliance. CTCC balances different makes and models of cars with RPM and Boost limits and with the data gathered and specialized data analysis tools, the officials can determine in just a couple of minutes any excessive levels.  Gearing is also checked. 

These were their current concerns, we are able to work with them on new processes when they decide they need to check other items.

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I like the idea, I think NASA along those lines.

But doesn't that mean the rules will change to parameters and not measurements ?  (Digital and Analog)

Everyone cool with that ?

Or it's just a tech tool, for faster results of compliance ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

I have several thoughts on this topic.  First and foremost I believe that tech is about validating the winners/leaders etc, not necessarily about catching someone.  If people and things get caught in the process then so be it.

The Majors are supposed to be Elite level events.  The drivers are certainly holding up their end of the bargain, but we have all read about some of the compliance checks at some of the Majors this year.  It is my opinion that every Majors event must at a minimum tech the following:

- Weight - Top 3 plus 5 random after EVERY qualifying and race session.  Qualifying times are too close to not weigh after qualifying.

- Fuel - Top 3 plus 3 random.  As stated earlier this year the at track DC test will catch the guys running/blending E85.

- Whistler - Top 3 plus 2 random after Races only.  I think it would take too much time after qualifying and probably not necessary.

- Hoods and Trunks Open - All cars during any impound.

- Restrictor Plates - Top 3 plus 3 random after every qualifying and race.  We could seal the plate after the first inspection of a weekend with the seal stickers.

- Computers - Top 3 plus 3 Random.  At a minimum a visual inspection of the box for evidence of tampering.  Winners at the end of the weekend should have computers sent off to be checked.  At some point SCCA had some sealed Mazda units that I think should be being used to swap out with the winners/podium from Saturday.

It is important to check some random cars as well.  If it's only the podium then what incentive is there for cars further back to stay compliant?

I am sure with all of the people on this board we could come up with a list of items that require very little time and/or impact on the tech staff.  Tools can be made, money can be found if needed to come up with the necessary items to perform an efficient reasonable tech at these Majors events.

My 1.5 cents.....  Sean

I really like all of these, but I am really concerned about the computer/ECU.  It is much much harder to check visually, and as we have seen/heard/suspected in the past, some people are exteremly creative in this process.  I'm sure there is a digital version to the "throw some flat black paint, a little dirt and grease on it, and no one will know that's a supe perfect unobtainium part on my car".

And in regards to the plate, some of us are such bad drivers we need to run STL as well, so I could not seal it up for the weekend.

I'm all for MORE checks!

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Forgot about STL.... Good call.

I agree on the visual inspection for the computer but figured it was better than nothing.   I do prefer and recommend sending off the winners computer after the weekend for all the reasons you state above.  

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

So Jim, you're basically saying a tech inspection like what Sean suggested is out of the question?

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

So Jim, you're basically saying a tech inspection like what Sean suggested is out of the question?

Hi Kyle..... I don't think that's what he said.  What I took from it was that we could ask for some basic tech to be completed at the Majors events, but that if we wanted to go deeper than some of what I outlined then we would need to setup a compliance fund and process to go deeper.  I don't want to speak for Jim, but I think he is out with personal stuff for the next several days.

E-mail and forums are hard to decipher tone and intent, so please understand that Jim is an ambassador for the class and will do and fight for what is right.  He is on our (SM) side. :)

Thanks... Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

In airport... Look to be spending the night in Chicago unless 6-7-8-9 on stand by list make it.

Basically what sean said

Under a general majors tech, I would say all that sean outlined would be a stretch, but not impossible, but very unlikely. That being said manifolds and such have been pulled at majors. It all depends on chief of tech at that event. If you asking for my opinion, the level tech that sean wants( I want) is very Unlikely to occur less a compliance program. We could certainly push for it, Jim creighton reads our board and has heard our complaints. He had stepped up the tech at the races he does tech.

I love the idea of the compliance program, it guarantees meaningful tech and don't nind paying an extra 25-45 a weekend to do so.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Hey Jim,

I thought I understood that there is a Majors tech person from the national staff that is supposed to work with each region prior to the events on what to tech and maybe even how the event should be run.  Am I mistaken on that?  If there is 1 person who oversees this, can we get them involved and help them with some things to look for and possibly get them to agree to at least put in place some basic mandatory tech items like weight, plate and fuel?  Hopefully a little more :)

Thanks... Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I think that one person will probably chime in at done point, but he is probably busy at Nola

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

I wasn't attacking or anything, just simply trying to make sure how I read it was how I was understanding it. Appreciate the clarification!

I'm a Drago fan and appreciate the hard work Jim's done for Spec Miata racing as a whole. Just want that to be clear ;)

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I would be concerned however about charging an extra 25.00 to 45.00 for tech. Regions are working hard to keep the cost of the weekend at bay. But that is not easy, when tracks raise the cost of rental 2,000.00 or more per year in some cases. So the cost cannot  be a deturant  to an already expensive weekend for some.

• Bench Racer and DrDomm like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users