Andrew Stowell

Andrew Stowell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:92 SSM

I bought my first race suit and I need to sew at least the SCCA patch on it, probably the MAZDA one too. How do I sew it without damaging the suit?

I know I need to only sew to the outer layer, but that's easier said then done. I'm not exactly a tailor, should I get someone to sew it for me? I'm not sure who would do that. I'm worried a regular tailor could misunderstand and sew through all the layers.

I bought some Nomex velcro and Nomex thread. I was planning on sewing a patch of velcro to the suit and the other side of the velcro to the SCCA patch. That way when I race with NASA later I can just switch it out. Has anyone ever tried this before?

The suit I bought has cuffs that cover my shoes. The suit fits great, but the cuffs nearly touch the ground. Is there any reason I shouldn't fold up a half inch or so of the cuff and sew it? I don't want the cuffs dragging on the ground and getting dirty or torn.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

There are two school of thought on the patches...  First sew with regular cotton thread only through the outer layer, the stitching will burn and the patch which is not fireproof will fall off. If you sew all the way thru I've "heard" rumors of having the stitch marks burned on your skin.  Second use the nomex thread and the patch will burn up on your suit before it falls off.

If you have a NOMEX thread a good tailor should be able to do the alterations to your inseam on your suit.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

fwiw, I totally forgot about patches until the day before my gear was scheduled to be tech'ed.  The GCR says that the patch is required...  So I improvised.  I had some 3M spray adhesive in the garage.  Sprayed it on the patch.  Attached it to the suit.  Put a weight on top of it and let it dry.  I don't remember that anyone ever checked for the patch.

3 years later, it still hasn't fallen off yet.  YMMV.  :)

• Michael Colangelo likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jedd fahnestock

jedd fahnestock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:mid atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

I safety pin mine on so in a fire the patch will stay on for sure! Dont want to get protested for not having a patch. 

• Amy M and Sebastian Landy like this

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

If you plan on running both NASA and SCCA you can sew both batches on and tape over the "other" name or sew a velcro patch and glue/sew velcro to the backs of the clubs patches and switch on race day.

• Alberto likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am going with Velcro next suit. PITA when you race both SCCA an NASA

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

FWIW when I did race both groups I never had anyone call me on not covering driver suit patches. Stickers on the car yes but patches no.

That's not to say an over-zealous steward with a hard-on for patches in your area won't enforce the rule.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Leo Baker

Leo Baker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:2000

As former National Administrator of Emergency Services and 30+ year ES worker (SCCA), if you patches are burning you have much bigger problems than what type of thread you used.

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

I used to do the whole sewing thing myself, but most alterations places will do it so cheap, it will make you wonder why you wasted the time in the first place.

I also second the "Never been checked for a patch" in all of the club racing I've done In the last 7 years, only once, and that was on the way up to the majors podium.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I've caught grief over lack of patches a couple of times. I say I don't have any, they say they'll find me some, I say I'll have them on next time.

End of story, until I run into the next patch Nazi. Repeat.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Scott Krzastek

Scott Krzastek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:NASA-MA / BRR-SCCA
  • Car Number:91

FWIW when I did race both groups I never had anyone call me on not covering driver suit patches. Stickers on the car yes but patches no.

That's not to say an over-zealous steward with a hard-on for patches in your area won't enforce the rule.

I did..... In fact I was pulled off of false grid (5 minutes before race start) by an NCR-SCCA grid worker because we could see the corners of the NASA patch on my suit (while I was strapped in the car, with a HANS on......)  and had to find something to cover it up with..... 

left hander

left hander

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:southeast
  • Car Number:864

I will ask a dumb question I have wondered about - why require the suit patch or even the stickers on the car?

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58
^^ It's a little thing called advertisement.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
DQ here at NASA Champs if other sanctioning body patches on your suit.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Just seems childish to me.

Yes, I race with both groups, but I'm "here" this weekend, you have my money. Put on your big girl panties and stop crying over stickers/patches.

A DQ for a patch when both groups require them is just ridiculous!

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Andrew Stowell

Andrew Stowell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:92 SSM

Just to follow up. I used velcro for my patches and it works fine. I like being able to switch them instead of covering them up. You can use Nomex velcro and thread if you are concerned about it (I did) but cotton would probably have been fine too. I also hemmed the cuffs with Nomex thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users