bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Hey All,

I just bought a SM and moved to Charlotte in the past 2 weeks (no license yet), I am looking to meet some local folks and to join any tech/wrench/prep sessions if anyone does them here, I would also simply drop by and be your 'wrench gopher' while you set your car up for your next race (and answer some of the usual newb questions).

My goal is to make the DC driver's school at the end of March but first I need safety gear.  I am looking for suggestions of brands etc...  and a place in to try on and buy safety gear, I don't like to purchase items like helmets and shoes online if I can help it, does anyone know of anyplace within an hour or so drive or so that I can go and try on safety gear?

I have already met some great people at the MSX this weekend; thank you Gene Ratchford, Sam Barnett, Estus White, and of course Mike Collins and Jim Drago who were speakers.  I hope to meet many more as time goes on.

Bruce

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

anyone know of anyplace within an hour or so drive or so that I can go and try on safety gear?

Isn't Charlotte/Mooresville known as "Race City USA".

Have you Screwgled "Charlotte+racing safety gear" ?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

RG,

I did a search with different word sets but I wasn't able to find a safety shop, I'll give your suggestion a shot and see what I can find. thanks!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

www.apexperformance.net  You now have a second good reason to go to Myrtle Beach.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Bruce, I'll make a comment about head and neck restraint devices only becaue it's a fact. The HANS device requires a seperate lateral support device to achieve the same lateral/side load reduction as some other products. With driver in car look at F1, INDY, NASCAR side load reduction devices. More simply said, with a Spec Miata a Halo seat is required to achieve the same lateral/side load reduction load reduction as some other products. And if anyone brings up how many HANS devices are sold, ask if they all use seperate side load reduction devices and why the race groups mentioned use a seperate lateral support device.

Be Safe  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

http://racequip.com/...DealerNumber=10

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Bruce:

When you're looking at equipment, remember it's all certified, but some things cost more than others for different reasons.

A lot of people start with G force equipment.  It's the lowest price but for a few reasons.  The suits can be heavy.  The gloves are priced right, but they won't have preformed fingers or anything like that.

Try on Helmets from all the major brands...Bell, G Force, HJC, Arai, and Simpson.  Stilo is also out there and people like their product.  The reason I'm saying try on as many brands as you can is because the inside shapes of their helmets are different...even amongst the different bell models I noticed differences in fit.

To give you an idea, I used to run a HJC helmet.  I think it was called the AR-10?  Fit great and worked well.  When it was time for a new helmet (the inside foam can wear out, and also mine got a bit funky) I went with a Bell GTX 2 as a replacement.  Just fit my head a bit better.  Also check to see if it's pre-drilled for a HANS (or whatever device you run), or if you need to put holes in it yourself.

On gloves, I would stay away from leather palms.  the reason being you'll sweat, the leather will get wet, and they will eventually crack.  Holes in gloves = no good.  I started with something pretty basic, then tried on a pair of Alpine stars with pre curved fingers and outside seams.....never looked back.

My first set of shoes were Simpsons. Lasted me a good four seasons.  Bought a set of OMP recently because my local guy stocks them, and I like supporting the local guy.

Buy extra socks.  My momo socks lasted longer than my gforce socks (one wearing and I put a toe through them....)

Check the GCR on suit requirements.....I didn't do that and I have to wear underwear with my suit for compliance.  I would probably wear it anyway, but it gets a bit annoying in the summer.

Buy a balaclava.  It helps keep your helmet from getting funky, along with the extra protection.  I actually wear a double layer "spider man" mask....sorry but my face is too pretty to burn.

Have fun shopping!

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

RG,

I did a search with different word sets but I wasn't able to find a safety shop, I'll give your suggestion a shot and see what I can find. thanks!

There are only a couple of safety only shops there. One is Impact in Mooresville. There are many race shops with gear in that area though a great many are out where the teams are and not necessarily in Charlotte proper. It's pretty much circle track focused but there are stocking dealers in the area.

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thank for hte leads, i founds a few in Moorsville and I'll make the drive tomorrow.

Vick, Benc Racer, thanks for the explainations, i will definitely keep your suggestions in mind, thanks!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Don't forget Saferacer.com.  They sponsor SCCA racing and give discounts to SCCA members and SM racers.  You might consider that FIA belts are good for five full years, rather than the three years for SFI belts.  

wheel

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Thank for hte leads, i founds a few in Moorsville and I'll make the drive tomorrow.

Vick, Benc Racer, thanks for the explainations, i will definitely keep your suggestions in mind, thanks!

Hey Bruce,

Welcome to SM!  Yes, in the Charlotte area we have virtually unlimited resources for racers.  After you check out Impact, stop by our Spec Miata race shop.  We're just 3 doors down on the same street, and literally underneath the giant "Race City" water tower.  Also, Racetech seats is in the same tech park.  Might be worth a visit while you're here as well.  Good luck!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Bell Helmet's slogan from the 70's was ......  "if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet!!!"  Best marketing slogan for safety gear ever. As far as I am concerned, the one area where I do not compromise is safety equipment. Seen too many racers hurt, and seen way too many videos of cars on fire. That saying ......"it'll never happen to me".....gets people into ugly situations real quickly - compromise elsewhere but do not compromise on safety. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thanks Dan,  I will be heading to Mooresville in the next day or two (I didn't make it today) and definitely stop by and see your operation, thanks for the invite.

Danny, you are very correct, I had the same mindset when riding motorcycles

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

I'm not a big saferacer fan (had some issues in the past), but OG Racing has ALWAYS gone above and beyond for me, delivering things with expedited shipping, and even getting in touch with Sparco and having them drop ship me a suit 2-day air when I needed it in a hurry.  Can't say enough good things about them.  They're in VA, but if there is someone local that has the gear, you can try it on there and order from OG.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58
^ +1 on everything he said.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users