bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Another newb question... :wacko:

Looking to purchase a data aq. system and since I am new to the SM world, I want to learn what the most prevelant system here on the East Coast, I am based out of Charlotte and would be racing mainly 4 - 6 hours from home in the  SE Region (Carolinas) with perhaps an occasional trip to the North or South.

I would like to be able to share data and am looking to purchase the most commonly used system for this area.  Any advice on particular models is appreciated, I don't need all the bells and whistles (at least I think I don't), but I don't want to buy one and outgrow it in the next year.  I would also like to be able to add cameras and interface with OBD data, and keep the price reasonable (if possible).

Thanks all,

Bruce

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Danny Steyn runs Traqmate...as do many your direction...if anyone when asked to share or help you with data is going to it will be him!! Go with that. If I'm completely out to lunch here he can correct me and I apologize in advance  :noidea:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Not to speak for him, but Danny has always been willing to share data and video with anyone who asks.

That being said, I would hold off on data as a raw novice. Too many bells to worry about. Learn to drive the line and get comfortable at speed. See whom you make friends with at the track. Your new best friend may have a different data system than you just purchased. Maybe you won't like Danny. Maybe Danny won't like you. 

You will have lots to learn and data may just confuse the issue at your first few events.

Make friends first, data second.

Dave

• svvs likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I started in SM in 2013 (after club racing in other classes) and decided on TraqMate for two reasons: 

1. Lots of SEDiv SM racers use it (and I've found many fast drivers willing to share their data).
  2. The TraqMate has the ability to automatically start and stop cameras.

I agree with Dave that a data logger can add additional hassle and distractions for a new racer, but on the other hand, it can really help to take the first big chunks out of lap times.

At the Motorsports Expo last week, the guys at the TraqMate booth showed a very nice little, inexpensive HD camera that plugs into the TraqDash.  Looks very cool.  TraqMate already integrates with GoPro and Replay cameras.

I had Aim on my last car and liked it a lot.  The software seemed better in some aspects than TraqMate's (but not a night and day difference).

I'm looking forward to (and hoping) TraqMate will offer integration with OBDII soon.  That was a nice feature available with my Aim unit.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Number:23

Thanks for the responses everyone, I was at the MSX as well and saw the Traqmate Display, the cameras were nice, and not too expensive if I recall correctly.

Data Aq is not at the top of my list, but is on my 'to get' list.

Bruce

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

I think what people in your area run is important, but you also have to consider what you want out of the system. If you want to add lots of sensors and use it as a dash replacement, Traqmate might not be the best choice. If you just want some basic data and lap times, you can't beat the AiM Solo. Also, if you want to do some math channels (and you will if you get into data) Traqmate is ruled out. Check this article out for some thoughts on planning a system http://www.trailbrak...g-a-system.html.

My personal opinion is that if you want data and video on the cheap, you can't beat the original AiM Smartycam. It will give you video with data on it, plus create a file that can be imported into Race Studio for analysis. The Traqmate system hooked to a camera is very nice for syncing the video to the data (especially if you are a visual learner).

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Up here more and more people are switching to AIM. That being said I have a used TM classic with display that I will let go cheap.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

In the SE, Traqmate is the dominant data system. In my opinion what makes it so successful is its intuitive interface. I have used most systems and some of them take a long time to be able to get to terms with how to get the most out of each session. Traqmate is not the most sophisticated, but for the average club racer, including myself it has proved invaluable.

I completely disagree with my friend Dave Wheeler. When I built my first car I immediately installed a Traqmate system and went hunting for drivers willing to share data. From the very first session on the track I had guys way faster than I was, analyzing my data and helping me get up to speed. Data helps you instantly see what you are doing wrong, and allows you to instantly focus on the low hanging fruit, shaving seconds from your lap times. As you get faster, data helps you even more, allowing you to see the subtle differences between what the fast guy is doing and what you are doing. IMO get data right away, before you develop any bad habits. Racing is all about muscle memory.

Whatever you do, get the system that most have. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
I will echo what Danny says. Data for a new guy should be very high on the list of things to have. It's almost like driving blind without it.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

...I was at the MSX as well and saw the Traqmate Display, the cameras were nice, and not too expensive if I recall correctly.

Does anybody have the details on this?  I don't see anything on the Traqmate site other than Replay and GoPro.  The GoPro solution doesn't cover the latest camera hardware and the Replay's are $250 each.  Where can I find info on the next greatest thing?

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Does anybody have the details on this?  I don't see anything on the Traqmate site other than Replay and GoPro.  The GoPro solution doesn't cover the latest camera hardware and the Replay's are $250 each.  Where can I find info on the next greatest thing?

Glenn, I have a brochure from MS Expo with a picture of the camera, but no details.  It's a flat shape, kind of like a big key fob.  I don't have any specs, but they touted it as high quality HD video and low cost.  $100 sticks in my mind but I may be wrong, so don't count on it.  Another benefit is it plugs into the TraqDash rather than into the separate video interface box, so that could be a savings, too (since box isn't needed).

I have a TraqDash with Replay, and I think this new offering might provide an easy & cheap second camera.

This is all from memory, so don't take these as facts.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Glenn, I have a brochure from MS Expo with a picture of the camera, but no details.  It's a flat shape, kind of like a big key fob.  I don't have any specs, but they touted it as high quality HD video and low cost.  $100 sticks in my mind but I may be wrong, so don't count on it.  Another benefit is it plugs into the TraqDash rather than into the separate video interface box, so that could be a savings, too (since box isn't needed).

I have a TraqDash with Replay, and I think this new offering might provide an easy & cheap second camera.

This is all from memory, so don't take these as facts.

Thanks.  Maybe I'll shoot a question at the website.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Thanks.  Maybe I'll shoot a question at the website.

while I currently run an AIM system in my own car, every future car we build for customers/myself will use traqmate.  after speaking with them at MSX and seeing the cameras along with video quality, hands down there is no better choice for a club racer.  all the componets integrate very seamlessly and the shear cost difference is staggering.  contact glenn stephens at 404 723 5481 for more info.  as a spec Miata racer himself, he'll be happy to help.

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

while I currently run an AIM system in my own car, every future car we build for customers/myself will use traqmate.  after speaking with them at MSX and seeing the cameras along with video quality, hands down there is no better choice for a club racer.  all the componets integrate very seamlessly and the shear cost difference is staggering.  contact glenn stephens at 404 723 5481 for more info.  as a spec Miata racer himself, he'll be happy to help.

Marc -

Did you see the "new" camera videos?  I have GoPro/Traqmate on my current car and I'm not terribly happy with the Traqmate/GoPro interface.  I was thinking about going with the Replay solution in the new build, but if similar quality and ease of operation can be obtained with a ~$100 camera, I'm all ears...

DCP

DCP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

I will echo what Danny says. Data for a new guy should be very high on the list of things to have. It's almost like driving blind without it.

I agree with this too. I'm pretty new at this, but I got a TraqMate system right away. I had good drivers drive my car and collected data. I then broke the track into segments and figured out where I wasn't asking enough of the car. Very helpful.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Regarding which DAQ to pursue and when: TM for me (NE area) and I picked it up my second year of racing (2011) and my first coaching session dropped my Summit Point times by 3-4 seconds over a single test day.  It's scary what DAQ will show you about your driving skill/style...

I learned something interesting last week about the GP/TM 'integration': you can't use the GP Black (v3) devices w/TM.  Only GP2 and earlier.

/opinion

GP apparently decided they're selling enough volume through BB/Amazon/whatever big-box retailer to not want to deal with such a small partner ™ to further their integration plans and up to this point have nothing on the roadmap for integration with anyone.

/opinion

So, TM has moved on to partnering with Replay and their XD line of cameras (1080p, not the 720p model) instead.  Granted it's marketing but their non-distorting 135* view is a compelling point from my perspective.

Now, whether you feel the costs associated with installing the integration between the products is worthwhile ($170 TM input, $250 Replay camera, $100 Replay integration cable**) is up to you but there is at least another camera vendor outside of GP to work with.  I personally have purchased only a camera at this point and may consider the other components at a future date.

** This "integration cable" does have a significantly valuable feature IMO: it can support a hard-wired power input.  No more charging of batteries/camera outside of the vehicle (requiring a removal/installation of the camera usually).

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DCP

DCP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

** This "integration cable" does have a significantly valuable feature IMO: it can support a hard-wired power input.  No more charging of batteries/camera outside of the vehicle (requiring a removal/installation of the camera usually).

That is better than the GoPro option because that cable does not provide power, although it was pretty cheap to buy a 12v to usb power converter and put it in the car to power the GoPro without having to rely on batteries. It was not great that I had to buy a used GoPro Hero2 because GoPro won't let the track data companies work with its newer interface. Really unfortunate, but I have to say that the picture quality is outstanding. I delayed putting in a camera, but I should have done so earlier.  It is hard to remember what you did on the laps just by looking at the data.  Also seeing what my hands are doing is helpful.

I bought TraqMate because that is what the good drivers I know use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users